It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cold War relics (Sea Shadow Stealth Boat and Part of the Glomar Explorer) looking for a new home

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Cold War relics (Sea Shadow Stealth Boat and Part of the Glomar Explorer) looking for a new home

online.wsj.com

PROVIDENCE, R.I. -- Anybody want some top-secret seagoing vessels? The Navy has a pair it doesn't need anymore. It has been trying to give them away since 2006, and they're headed for the scrap yard if somebody doesn't speak up soon.

One is called Sea Shadow. It's big, black and looks like a cross between a Stealth fighter and a Batmobile. It was made to escape detection on the open sea. The other is known as the Hughes (as in Howard Hughes) Mining Barge. It looks like a floating field house, with an arching roof and a door that is 76 feet wide and 72 feet high. Sea Shadow berths inside the barge, which keeps it safely hidden from spy satellites.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
This used to sit in direct view from my house in the Hills of San Carlos, California, when i was growing up. We used to go 4 wheeling in the salt marshes and would always note the marine guards fully armed over what appeared to be jus tthis abandoned hugely massive barge in Redwood City, California. Little did we know till years later it was part of the Glomar Explorer and the Sea Shadow was inside. pretty cool IMHO

online.wsj.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   
If I had someplace to "Park" the barge, I would take it!!!!

I lived on a 32 foot Bayliner for a year and it was wonderful..

A little imagination, some money (A lot) and that barge could be a FANTASTIC place to live..

The other thing just looks weird..

Wasn't there something like that in one of the James Bond movies?

Semper

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT
[One is called Sea Shadow. It's big, black and looks like a cross between a Stealth fighter and a Batmobile. It was made to escape detection on the open sea.]

There are some drug runners who will be purchasing the Sea Shadow very soon.

(Probably :lol

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   
This proves that stealth tech is obsolete and they are on to something more technologically advanced.

Lesson learned, stop looking for black stealth, and start looking for something even more far fetched.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Maybe if I burn my 1:1 scale Hindenburg replica I would have the space to store it.

Still a nice toy for the lucky new owner.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   
they can not let that go to scrap,,,,someone better save it

what's the price???
i'll park it in my yard and live in it

that thing is bad -ss!@!!!!!!

i've seen pics b4 and loved this boat,,,, i thought it was newer,,,,,hard to believe it's already obsolete and basically worthless except for the metal it contains

top topics

join