It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Vaporizer??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Last night I was watching CSI Miami and it was about a secret, illegal weapon called the Vaporizer. I know the show is fictitious but could this type of weapon exist? I hope not.

After noise is heard in a shed at the docks, not corpses are found but a bloody mess and three pair shoes, the shocking mark of the DX-4 alias 'Vaporizer', an experimental, illegal weapon which fires up to 100,000 rounds per minute. DNA from the blood identifies three mashed-up gun runners:

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

Almost ten years ago I had heard of testing on a weapon that could fire hundreds of thousands of rounds a minute, it was trailer mounted and massive amounts of rounds at one go. Similar to the weapon used in CSI.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dermo

Almost ten years ago I had heard of testing on a weapon that could fire hundreds of thousands of rounds a minute, it was trailer mounted and massive amounts of rounds at one go. Similar to the weapon used in CSI.

Thanks. The weapon used on the show last night was mobile and could be transported/used by one person and fit in the back of a SUV. I suppose the weapon you cited could have had mobility improvements - ten years is a long time!

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Apart from the cool factor,wasting that much ammo to kill one or a few people seems a tad much,so i doubt it would be economical to create.

[edit on 22-2-2009 by Solomons]

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Solomons
Apart from the cool factor,wasting that much ammo to kill one or a few people seems a tad much,so i doubt it would be economical to create.

Its meant for wiping out large numbers of advancing soldiers in woodland.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Solomons

I agree. It is not economical at all ... for one target. I think the cool factor is why CSI had it. BUT, that said ... the Metal Storm featured in the Future weapons video looks amazingly like what CSI used.

Cumulative effect of firepower. Because all rounds are stacked in the barrel and fired electronically, Metal Storm has the ability to deliver munitions at extremely high rates of fire - but it's not about quantity. For example, four rounds of 40mm HE munition all delivered onto a target at the same time provides a much greater effect than four rounds hitting the target one behind the other, 20 feet apart. When 4 Metal Storm fired munitions hit the target at almost the same time, which can be repeated, the lethality of those warheads is increased markedly through the unique delivery of that firepower.
Lethality is also enhanced through greater control of fire missions and the ability to almost instantly select different munitions for different targets. Fully selectable fire missions can be configured ranging from a single shot through to multiple shots. These fire missions may be in the form of a small curtain of fire, a swarm of munitions or convex or concave shaped multiple munitions. All these capabilities provide a cumulative lethality effect much greater than several single 40mm munitions arriving individually.
Metal Storm technology provides the ability to fire munitions onto a target in groups of any size, shape and sequence in much greater proportion to the size of the weapon. The technology allows single and multi barrel weapon systems to apply significant firepower onto a target compared to conventional weapons; thus providing a high firepower to weight ratio. For example, the equivalent of a 6kg munition can be delivered in 12 pieces but provides the lethality effect on target of all 6kg at once.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman
I know the show is fictitious but could this type of weapon exist? I hope not.

Metal storm is about as close as I know. !,000,000 rounds a minute anyone?

It would be interesting to see what that would do to an elephant let alone a human..

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

This video starts off at 600 rounds per minute and goes up to 1,000,000 rounds per minute.

[edit on 22/2/2009 by Iamonlyhuman]

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Yep, something similar actually exists.
It's a new type of weapons system that fires rounds via electrical impulse which greatly increases rate of fire for any projectile.

It's called Project Metal Storm
www.defensereview.com...

new topics

top topics

join