It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Riddle surrounds moving tombstone

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by SvenTheBerserK

Yes, there is slope.
The cimitery in on an old tumulus about 2 meter tall, as you can se here
kerken.eldoc.ub.rug.nl... anche with google earth

Bye
FF

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
It could be possible.

A 1000lb weight, on land with a very small incline. Too small to notice, the stone could travel down. It's called gravity.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by enigmania

It happened 4 times before. You saw the grave, the edges that the stone rests on are very smooth, if there is a slight angle, there are lot's of factors that could make it start sliding.

I suppose lots of things could cause a stone to move, but for it to keep happening - 4X's already- and just to this stone, then something is up.

Why doe the factors not affect all of the other stones in the graveyard? JUst this one. How is it that suddenly the makers of the grave forgot how to make it right so it wouldn't move so easily?

A Freisian friend of mine read this thread and his only comment was, it usually takes months to get a stone made in the case of a death. He couldn't understand how this grave got its own stone so quickly. Mind you, I don't understand how they do burials over there. I would assume they have to put something there, maybe temporarily to cover the graves, which are sort of above-ground I believe, due to high water table, I think.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by wayno

I suppose lots of things could cause a stone to move, but for it to keep happening - 4X's already- and just to this stone, then something is up.

Well the first 3 times they thought it was vandalism, so they probably never checked to if there was a problem in the construction, or with the way the topstone was fixed to the construction.

They just put it back up there, probably.

So if there is indeed a problem with that, it would be possible to happen 4 times.

From what I saw in the video, the edges of the base have a slight angle, but I don't know how, or if the topstone is being fixed to the base.

In this case, I'm inclined to be skeptic, it just doesn't feel supernatural to me.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 04:07 AM
link   
Please, translate this: nl.wikipedia.org...
Forensic Insitute in Amsterdam give the solution.
Bye
FF

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 07:15 AM
link   
This is a translation using a free online translator.

On 18 February 2009 Aalsum came in the news by a sepulchre toe which moved a meter in a couple seconde. This happened without thus but some visible human actions came at just. Because the family already five times had done declaration of grafschennis decided the police force hang a camera. This camera did not have the desired impact of apprehending the dader. When the a agent (after the next report of grafschennis) looked back the pictures pale this from itself itself has happened. The Dutch forensic institute has examined the matter and a conclusion has reached. At gladde the sepulchre toe has been warmed up by the sun and as a result, has turned off. Busy between the afdekplaat and the sepulchre toe by the warmth much has increased. By the combination of these things the sepulchre toe has been therefore moved.

Source text. nl.wikipedia.org...(Friesland)

Op 18 februari 2009 kwam Aalsum in het nieuws door een grafsteen die in een paar seconde een meter verschoof. Dit gebeurde zonder dat er dan ook maar enig zichtbaar menselijk handelen aan te pas kwam. Doordat de familie al vijf keer aangifte had gedaan van grafschennis besloot de politie een camera op te hangen. Deze camera had niet het gewenste effect van het aanhouden van 'de dader'. Toen de een agent (na de volgende melding van grafschennis) de beelden terug keek bleek dit 'uit zich zelf' te zijn gebeurd. Het Nederlands Forensisch Instituut heeft de zaak onderzocht en is tot een conclusie gekomen. De te gladde grafsteen is door de zon opgewarmd en daardoor uitgezet. De druk tussen de afdekplaat en de grafsteen is door de warmte veel toegenomen. Door de combinatie van deze dingen is de grafsteen dus verschoven.

Can anyone do any better? please.

[edit on 22-2-2009 by SvenTheBerserK]

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 09:04 AM
link   

An automatic translation of the Wiki page came out just a little better:

The tombstone is plain by the sun warmed up and it turned off. The pressure between the slab and the tombstone is much increased by the heat. The combination of these things is the headstone thus shifted.

[edit on 2/22/2009 by wayno]

edit to add: This is an English translation from an Italian site (lol, I know, this itself is getting wierd) that to me gives a good description of the actual events)

This is the opinion of Anna Van der Meer, police spokesman Frisian: "Gag, by shivering, absolutely incredible. When I saw the video I was stunned. One can see the stone slid from the side, almost falling to the ground. Then tap the side of the tomb and stop leaving the tomb largely opened with a movement of more than one meter. I do not know, weighs 450 pounds. Besides in the video can be seen well that the stone is firm, then in the blink of an eye splashes side. I have never seen anything of this kind in my whole career. We have no explanation. "

The original Italian site is here:
www.massimopolidoro.com...&ei=nWihSbmrAoSTnge0vMX8DQ&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=3&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq% 3Dnl.wikipedia.org...(Friesland)%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US
fficial%26hs%3De6F

[edit on 2/22/2009 by wayno]

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by xstealth

Originally posted by Republican08
Could be how Jesus escaped from the tomb he was in?
Atheist but fairly sure he was a real person.

That would require him rising from the dead first.

Which is the entire point of him leaving the tomb.

No no no... you got it all wrong.. Here is what REALLY happened with Jesus. It was lost in translation.

"On the third day, Jesus rose and ascended into heaven", right?

WRONG!!!!

What actually happened was that the Romans rigged up some sort of catapault, which they attached Jesus's body and sort of flung him up in to the air, thus "ass-ended" him into the heavens.

Since people were not as smart as they are now, they thought "God" took him away. In reality, he was flung about a 100 yards away and thats why noone ever found his body.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Here is a similar story about moving coffins...

www.unexplainable.net...

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by MR1159
reply to post by ben420

Those sliding rocks in Death Valley are great. Still no explanation?

Here is an article on the phenomenn...no agreement among experts on why so still a mystery....
Article on moving stones

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Het Nederlands Forensisch Instituut heeft de zaak onderzocht en is tot een conclusie gekomen. De te gladde grafsteen is door de zon opgewarmd en daardoor uitgezet. De druk tussen de afdekplaat en de grafsteen is door de warmte veel toegenomen. Door de combinatie van deze dingen is de grafsteen dus verschoven.

Translation (by me):

~The Dutch Forensic Institute has investigated this case, and has come to a conclusion.

The, overly slick topstone was warmed by the sun, and it expanded. The pressure between the topstone and the tomb had increased a lot due to the warming.

The combination of the stone being too slick and the heating, has caused the stone to slide off.~

Like I expected, it just has a natural cause.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Here's a final update (the investigation by the Forensic Institute was still ongoing):

The investigation has been stopped at the request of the family who wish to be left at peace and to no longer be confronted by it. Investigators failed to find a cause. The slab will be secured with pins and the investigation will be shelved. The police suspect changing weather conditions may have been the culprit, but the actual cause will remain a mystery.

Source (in Dutch)

If it really was just the weather, wouldn't the investigators have figured that out fairly quickly? (the wikipedia article above says they did, but it doesn't provide a source and kinda reads like someones personal opinion) The conditions couldn't be that to replicate and test right? Also, wouldn't tombstones of similar make be sliding off of their graves all over the country? It's not like the Frisian town of Aalsum's climate is any different from that of the rest of the Netherlands.

It's a shame we'll never know.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join