It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ok so a true christian wouldnt believe in dinosaurs?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I have always wondered this, Some christians believe the world is something like 4000 years old, no one here would believe that right?? So whats the deal with dinosaurs and fossils?

Did god create them first and played with them for a few hundred million years then get sick of them and reset the slate to start with humans? Ok this is a question directed to devout christians, Do you believe dinosaurs existed? If not then what is your reason? Im sorry i really just dont buy into any of this religion bollocks, i mean if god existed then science wouldn't. Of course the funniest thing about this is that people can argue till there blue in the face and it wont change a thing.

But when we die we are all going to find out the answer and alot of people are gonna feel like chumps. So i guess we just gonna wait and see huh?

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Certain fundamentalist Christians who believe the bible is literal. My ex husbands family was like that, and that families grand children were pulled from the school system and missed normal science courses, not mine. Aside from believing that the skeletons of dinosaurs were planted there by demons to mislead people, they also didn't have a clue what icebergs were. I guess they thought they were frozen sea water.

[edit on 17-2-2009 by mystiq]

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Not Christian, but I subscribe to the Tanakh which is what they claim the basis of their teaching to be on and we quite believe that dinosaurs existed. It not only is mentioned in the Tanakh (though most likely allegorically.. still, they received the concept somewhere, no?), but there is much scientific proof to their existence.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Skinon

How about God created science as well as everything else?

I am a Christian, in the sense that I try to follow the teachings of Jesus Christ. I do not like churches or any religious mania, and I believe that the Old Testament of the Bible is not to be taken literally.

Manmade religion has a lot to answer for.

Jesus gets blamed for a lot of stuff that has nothing to do with him - 'Christian' derives from his name - it does not mean some religious maniac (although, sadly, a lot of people have misperceptions about this, including a lot of churches and other religions).

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 11:57 PM
link   
I can't find a good source right now, hopefully someone can help out, but I seem to remember that the bible and apocraphya have a wide variety of giant stories, not just the 'sons of gods', but some that could be interpreted as more animal in nature. Some Christians seem to use these stories as part of their explanation.

Of course this mentions nothing of the other problems you mention, geologists, 6000 years, etc, but those can probably be explained away as a previous poster mentioned, as the work of the devil, put there to test us.

Never underestimate the ability of religion to shapeshift and adapt to anything that is thrown at it. They survived copernicus, and they will survive other challenges too. People can rationalise anything once they are the cult mindset of true belief.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 12:02 AM
link   
I'm a born again christian, and i have no problem with dinosaurs. I just think our dating system is completely out of wack, i don't find anything wrong with natural selection either just not as an origin of species. There are a # of archeological finds that just don't fit into even secular evolutionary time frames and numerous that support biblical accounts as fact.

[edit on 18-2-2009 by dnaobs]

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 12:13 AM
link   
I was brought up in a Christian church and ask this question as a child. I was told (from what I can remember lol) That Gods time was different than ours and that he made the animals first including dinosaurs but he tired of them and that is why he made man. Of course that makes no sense to me now as an adult but back then it got me to quit questioning the existence of God.
I have spent most of my adulthood questioning everything I was taught as a child. Maybe one day I will figure it all out.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 12:23 AM
link   
It's pretty strange huh. My friend owns a 'Raptor Center' which is a refuge/rehab for all types of Birds of Prey. They also do educational stuff with schools and teach the general public about these majestic birds. It's fantastic!

However, because science has linked birds to dinosaurs and because his establishment has the word 'Raptor' in it, he is bombarded and picketed with certain religious groups every weekend. They harass families on their way into the center. Sometimes this is 'hands on' in that they will physically stop someone and ram a flyer in their face. My friend even gets the occasional death threat over the phone.

These people that do this are extremists. IMHO, if they can see fit to make death threats over something as simple as a bird, the government should be putting them on the terrorist watch lists because they obviously aren't stable people. They are completely despicable in their actions and really do a disservice to the average open minded Christian who has room for things like dinosaurs in their world/reality.

IRM

Edit for dreaded typos!

[edit on 18/2/09 by InfaRedMan]

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Skinon

Hello.

Just wanted to let you know that the study of "Dinosaurs" in relation to science is less then 200 years old.

Etymology

The taxon Dinosauria was formally named in 1842 by English palaeontologist Richard Owen, who used it to refer to the "distinct tribe or sub-order of Saurian Reptiles" that were then being recognized in England and around the world.[2] The term is derived from the Greek words δεινός (deinos meaning "terrible", "powerful", or "wondrous") and σαύρα (saura meaning "lizard" or "reptile").[3] Though the taxonomic name has often been interpreted as a reference to dinosaurs' teeth, claws, and other fearsome characteristics, Owen intended it merely to evoke their size and majesty.[4] In colloquial English "dinosaur" is sometimes used to describe an obsolete or unsuccessful thing or person,[5] despite the dinosaurs' 160 million year reign and the global abundance and diversity of their descendants, the birds.

Do we truly know what these bones are from? I mean, when was the last time you assembled a dinosaur skeleton out of a field of bones. How do you know we didn't just shed skin?

All I'm saying is don't place all your eggs in one basket. It is a young field of study that is mostly guess work based on guesses.

Watch the flintstones....Peace

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 12:30 AM
link   
A fundamentalist Christian my husband works with- literally believes that God put the dinosaur bones on earth on purpose so that we'd test our faith. Not that the dinosaur existed- but that the bones magically appeared to confuse us. Bonus!

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by letthereaderunderstand

Yea i realise its still a young science but alot has changed over 200 hundred years, like people realising the difference between 'magic' and chemical reactions etc etc, I for one definately dont throw all my eggs in one basket, but i do think logically and the last species you can trust is man. Really, why should i believe in something that has zero proof except lots of people who wrote a book, when there seems to be much more logical answers out there. I do realise the point in that 'WE' (man) also come up with dinosaurs and science etc

I do believe there are good things to christianity such as a previous poster said, about following the teachings of generally being kind to people and helping out the needy. The problem with that is that for some reason people think that they have the right to give people death threats like a previous poster said, and force their religion onto people. Those types should be labelled terrorists and removed from the general population.

It honestly make me sad why people cant just exist without forcing their opinions on people, With the general unstablity of people these days i think religion is a dangerous thing maybe the church should have entry requirements haha

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 01:11 AM
link   
My ex husbands Father is a Missionary Baptist Preacher and Nope, he does not believe it. I have made many innocent blunders while talking to him and his family, I forget that they think the world is only 6 thousand years old. They also think that the universe is only 6 thousand years old,
yeah, they were very glad when he and I split up.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Hi, Skinon,

That is exactly my point about Jesus Christ - he is all about love and not judgement.

It is manmade religions that are evil - most of our wars would not have happened without it - and just look at terrorism.

Jesus was not about that. He is/was about Love. You just have to believe in Him.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by spellbound

Hey there spellbound, because i dont believe in god etc, i do find it rather difficult to listen to people talking about him with blind fury! haha like i see some people on tv and they seriously look like wack jobs. But i do have to say your view of religion and how it should be viewed is spot on. We probably have different views of the origin of the said person (Jesus) as i believe he was a real person, but i think he was a very good talker and produced some very good ideas. But i think man has taken alot out of context and rumors were spread (ever heard of chinese whispers) and christianity was born...

Anyway i definately respect people like you who are christian becuase they believe in the fundamentals which doesnt mean you have to preach to everyone that they must join or repent! But yea if christians were really christian there would be NO wars NO racism and segrigation, everyone would be tolerant. Its so obvious most people id go so far to say 80 percent are fake christians under the delusions of a manmade religion.

Anyway awesome you know what religion should be about big RESPECT!

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Oh no the Paleontologists are about to be ex-communicated.

I wonder how many paleontologists believe in God very few I can imagine

is there a Church of Paleontology were dinosaurs are God?

The Church of Paleontology that sounds familiar........

[edit on 18-2-2009 by nuisance value]

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skinon
reply to post by letthereaderunderstand

Yea i realise its still a young science but alot has changed over 200 hundred years, like people realising the difference between 'magic' and chemical reactions etc etc, I for one definately dont throw all my eggs in one basket, but i do think logically and the last species you can trust is man. Really, why should i believe in something that has zero proof except lots of people who wrote a book, when there seems to be much more logical answers out there. I do realise the point in that 'WE' (man) also come up with dinosaurs and science etc

I do believe there are good things to christianity such as a previous poster said, about following the teachings of generally being kind to people and helping out the needy. The problem with that is that for some reason people think that they have the right to give people death threats like a previous poster said, and force their religion onto people. Those types should be labelled terrorists and removed from the general population.

It honestly make me sad why people cant just exist without forcing their opinions on people, With the general unstablity of people these days i think religion is a dangerous thing maybe the church should have entry requirements haha

Friend I hear you, but I can tell you that History is made up and is no different then the doctrines of any church.

In one it's called a congregation and in the other "we the people", same thing, different names both professing "liberty" to the captives. Thin veils, but heavily guarded by their own "in mates".

If you look up the word History, you will find the definition has nothing to do with truth.

History is written to convey a message, just like the bible, the Koran, the constitution, the hieroglyphs etc.

Think about this. How many Ancestors of yours do you know past say 5 Generations Back? We don't even know our own families history, but we are indoctinated to know George Washingtons Birthday, the inception of our country on and on.

Kids know Dinosaur names, but not the Great, Great, Great grandparent that without them would render them non existent. Kinda odd to me, but not even considered to teach our children. All the info other then observable data, as is real science, is nothing more then conjecture yet taught as "unquestionable", but we can't name people in our family's back more then a few hundred years....weird

Aboriginal means "From the beginning". You ever wonder why aboriginal peoples are killed off who are usually peaceful people? When you want to project an image, you put up a white sheet.

Peace

[edit on 18-2-2009 by letthereaderunderstand]

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Just a thought on God, either or any number of Gods, in general they are omnipotent, omnipresent, and omniscient.

Ok so they know all, they can do all, and they are everywhere.

If this is the case then anything is in the realm of possibility. So let me throw out a thought here.

God A. Has a well developed plan and path for humanity, which requires certain things to happen and be true, So he knows all and can do anything.

B. In order for the Universe to work certain things need to be true in order for it to self sustain IE: thermal dynamics, Gravity, and so on. That is with out his direct interaction.

IF A and B are true, would it not be possible that he could create everything as it currently is, exactly as it needs to be for the events he needs to happen to take place? Meaning the age of the earth where it currently is and all its past history? For what ever reason so far beyond our understanding?

And lastly just this thought, DO you have any proof if A is correct that you existed before this exact moment in history? how do you not know that we where all created in a Sim game running on gods laptop at this second and all we are and all we know exist only in a simulation for this beings amusement?

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 03:50 AM
link   
if you dont belive in god or anyone i feel sorry for you i hate it when scientist say we evolved from apes, or fish that jumped out of the ocean and grew legs ha serious dont think you we all would be still evolving from these Animals . and why is there 2 of everything man woman=adam eve its just Common sense Manmade religion was created by GOD he just like you or me we think speek but he just know how to go Beyond think about it or brains are to small to understand as we only use like half lol or whatever

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 04:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Skinon

I just started a new topic - Darwin's theory of (d)evolution, maybe it answer's one or two questions and raises some more new ones for someone interested.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 04:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Skinon

God created dinosaurs, they walked the earth, and God allowed them to die, period. Maybe their existance was essential for our current state, maybe they were made for oil, or an evolutinary purpose, doesn't matter to me, I know God made them.

People that say they never walked the earth are idiots, there is countless evidence that they did walk the earth, left footprints, layed eggs, etc etc, yet some of the more closeminded christians claim they never walked the earth, I've heard a few theories by these closeminded people; 'their bones came from other planets as god was creating this planet', or 'the devil made them', both theories make no sense scripturally, so their never mentioned in the bible, maybe they all died off before Adam & Eve and that part wasn't written about because man wrote the bible, and man couldn't record something he didn't see. It doens't matter though, do dinosaurs really have anything to do with eternal salvation? nope, so it doesn't matter in the long run, and no the earth is not a few thousand years old.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join