It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Build Mind-Reading Machine

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Scientists Build Mind-Reading Machine

www.foxnews.com

Canadian researchers say they can glean simple preferences from a person's brain by shining near-infrared light into the noggin.

The study, reported in the Journal of Neural Engineering, demonstrated the ability to decode a person's preference for one of two drinks with 80 percent accuracy by measuring the intensity of near-infrared light absorbed in brain tissue
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 02:23 AM
link   
This is pretty cool. I've heard a little about this kind of thing before, where a man who couldn't move his body got some kind of attachment so he can control a computer, so that he can play games and send email and talk to people. Hopefully this news means it's coming soon for more people. They talk to that in the article:

"The goal of the new research is ultimately to open the world of choice to children who can't speak or move."

I guess we just have to worry about someone doing it from a distance and using it to manipulate you somehow, but hopefully it can't pick up from far away.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 03:27 AM
link   
RubberBaron, you must be a glass half full kinda guy because I automatically thought of bad stuff when I read the article.

I imagine the government using this, as well as Police and employers, all for evil, haha. I just dont like the idea of being kidnapped and having my thoughts read against my will...

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by leisuredrummer
RubberBaron, you must be a glass half full kinda guy because I automatically thought of bad stuff when I read the article.

I imagine the government using this, as well as Police and employers, all for evil, haha. I just dont like the idea of being kidnapped and having my thoughts read against my will...

Ha, thanks I think. I thought of a few bad things, but most of the bad technology I've heard of in this regard is to write to the brain, not read it, if you get what I mean. Something related I heard is that using this method, lies can be detected way more accurately than our current lie detection methods.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Yeah, that makes sense. I assume once they home in the technology that current lie detecting methods will be thrown out the window.

And being a glass half full type person is a great thing! I wish I was that way more often.

new topics

top topics

join