It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teleportation Is Real – But Don't Try It at Home

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I do agree that curently it would not be a good idea to release this stuff to the public. It would most likely just turn into another weapon for war.

But the impacting implacations are ridiculous if you think about them aren't they? To be able to view any point in the past, to be transported anywhere in the world with minimal effort.

I assume we won't see this commercialized for atleast another 20 years or so, but with advances in technology everyday in a variety of fields, tangeants of this technology would become available far sooner.

We could possible see matter transporters for moving large cargo or even in the construction business for buildings and other infrastructure.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Oh yes! I can see it now. Our govt no longer needs to chase us fleeing and round us up like a herd of cattle into the FEMA camps. They just have to beam us into the FEMA camps. Wars would end within minutes as the enemy would be beamed into the next Guantanamo prison. The country to develop this technology could and would have the means to "rule the world." The second a nation speaks out against the US would "mysteriously disappear."

Think about it. As much as I think this would be cool, I don't think we have the restraint capable to handle this technology. Forget the tin foil hat, I need a tin foiled house!

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wethesheeple
reply to post by Amaterasu

Thanks that does help. I would like to check your book out sometime. This topic is extremely interesting!

Anyone who U2U's me with an email addy will receive a copy of my book. [smile]

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I highly doubt that this technology will ever be used to teleport humans.

It will be used to teleport information and data, as in telecommunications, computing, etc.

The Internet of the future will be comprised of technology like this.

When the first mind is uploaded to that hypernet, then and only then will we see an intelligence transmitted across it. If anything we'll see the birth of technology that will allow intelligences within the hypernet to manifest avatars in the real world.

Thats still not the same as moving a flesh and blood human from point A to B, but at that point we may not have any flesh and blood left within us.
We may be nothing but information floating along in cyberspace.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

I wonder if the "flesh and blood" caveat would apply to a pizza?
Now that would be an excellent use for the technology!

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by griffinrl

I wonder if the "flesh and blood" caveat would apply to a pizza?
Now that would be an excellent use for the technology!

How about Virtual Pizza, zero fat, zero calories, well pretty much zero anything. Plus you could eat as much of it as you wanted.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   

lol...you got me on that one!

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Thats all Mexico/America Needs....

Talk about Getting across the border in a Flash!

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Teleporting is risky stuff, if any one of the quantum data gets delayed or mismatched, then the man is gone.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   
I've read this thread and apart from Deltaboy, I am wandering if anyone else has actually read the article posted?

It isn't "teleportation" in the sense you are all talking about, or even close to it for that matter. This is just getting information from point A to point B, really. It has more to do with advanced computing than cutting the morning commute. In fact, it has more to do with milking cows than what you guys are talking about....

In fact, I am not sure this is even news. I am pretty sure scientists have already used quantum entanglement to "teleport" information already, I read something about it a couple of years back.

here is a link to an experiment from 2003 where they "teleported" information over a distance of 55 metres!

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

You beat me to it!

The article isn't about transporting live animals, it's about transporting data. But either way, the implications of what the group has discovered are astounding. With computers as powerful as this could potentially create, I can see consciousnesses being uploaded into virtual worlds very soon...in other words, virtual immortality!

If the technology comes around, it will first be used only in government and corporate applications until the rest of the world is ready to upgrade; a quantum computer could probably decode any traditional encryption within minutes.

[edit on 2/3/2009 by iceofspades]

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by iceofspades

Sure thing...I agree! But what about your DNA? Wouldn't that be considered "information"? Just a thought to ponder

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 01:33 AM
link   
If I might interject, I suggest we all go back and read the entire article. They are in no means suggesting a future capability of transporting matter.

What they are speaking of is the ability to transport incredibly vast sums of data over distances instantly. Not matter, data.

Sorry if that bursts the bubble of the star trek fans out there.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by johnsky

But again...wouldn't all the information stored in your DNA be considered data?

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Teleportation - the way I gather it works based off articles I've read and Star Trek. At Point A a computer reads you and breaks you down into data. All physical molecules are converted into energy (data) this process would make your physical body disappear. We are not just making someone disappear, we are changing the form of energy. We are all energy. All molecules have a specific energy which can be read with the right instruments. This energy data would then be relayed to Point B destination where a computer receives the data and has the components necessary for re-assembling the energy back into a physical form (our bodies).

I do fore see this as possible to accomplish and math confirms that this is possible. Technology would have to catch up with math. Some scientists have already accomplished teleportation in some form. The below article was from 2004 and since then I am sure more breathroughs have been accomplished.

Teleportation Breakthrough Made

The feat was achieved by two teams of researchers working independently on the problem in the US and Austria.

The ability to transfer key properties of one particle to another without using any physical link has until now only been achieved with laser light.

And then there is this article confirming it already has been accomplished in another form as well.

'Jumper'-Style Teleportation Just Barely Possible

"The fact is that physicists have teleported things over miles," said Edward Farhi, the director of MIT's Center for Theoretical Physics. "It doesn't violate the laws of physics."

Rather, teleportation involves capturing the essential information about something — its "quantum state" — to recreate it exactly someplace else.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 07:43 AM
link   
I think humans could be teleported..isnt teleportation instant? you would still be alive going from point A to B since your not actually moving just being rearranged on the other side instantly.

[edit on 4-2-2009 by Solomons]

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by griffinrl
reply to post by johnsky

But again...wouldn't all the information stored in your DNA be considered data?

Yes DNA would be information. A virtual copy of it and technically you, a virtual clone, could be transmitted in this process as data. It would be like the ultimate FAX machine. Your data is scanned and uploaded and then teleported to another point where that data is then taken by nano assemblers which would then replicate you.

The thing is that isn't Star Trek teleportation. You would physically still be at point A. Your replicant would be at point B.

The alternative to this is to actually upload your consciousness into a either a cybernetic shell device, e.g. cyberbrain or into the Hypernet itself as an infomorphic "ghost".

Once uploaded your consciousness could then be transmitted as data from point A to point B.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Beam me up Scotty!

Sorry, but someone had to say it

The potential for this to be used to vastly improve on our quantum technology now is astounding. The fact that this has the potential to not only provide infinite data storage space, but possibly even further into the actual data processing itself spells that we are on the right path to developing a Quantum computer that could turn our world upside down.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   
This is really old news. When I was in college for Mechanical Engineering, we had someone come from industry who stated that this was already being done, but only with inanimate objects. He said that if was a rock or something not living that it could easily be sent through. The rub was when you tried to get a complex life form to teleport, you would get mush out the other end. A rat became a pile of hair, bones, and meat mush. We were told by our professor that this was why they were building the partical collider in Texas. It was to find out more about the sub atomic particals. In my opinion, they had a breakthrough which solved the problem because the Texas collider was never built. They said it was due to fire ants, but who knows. Something like $2 billion to dig the hole and another $2 billion to fill it back up.

This is pure speculation on my part. I am sure there are others here who know more about this. If I know about it, it cannot be that much of a secret. Hell. I am nobody. This was circa 1987 when we were told the information.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 08:14 AM
link   
I started writing a book about this subject a few years ago, mostly just exploring the ramifications of the ability to instatly travel anywhere being available to everybody.
I figured that if it's possible to create an energy field cohesive enough to send objects through space, then it stands to reason that you cab create a counter-field strong enough to repel the transport beam. In effect, you could have a 'barrier' to prevent people teleporting into sports stadia for free, or into bank vaults etc.
It is a fascinating subject, and (after a trick period of re-adjusting) could lead to a new 'golden age.'
I really should finish that book, eh?

I've just had my debut sci-fi novel published, btw - if you're interested, please go to www.eloquentbooks.com/TheSiege.html

Good work, all, on a cool site, btw - I'll definitely be back!

<< 1    3 >>

join