It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teleportation Is Real – But Don't Try It at Home

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Teleportation Is Real – But Don't Try It at Home

www.time.com

Now, according to a paper published in the Jan. 23 issue of Science, a team of scientists from the Joint Quantum Institute (JQI) at the University of Maryland and the University of Michigan has joined the fun. The current bit of legerdemain? Teleportation.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   
IMO this is some really great news for Quantum Physics and technology. If we can develop actual working teleportation, then we could remove the need for vehicles all together.

Instant ecoysystem recovery tool, reduced need for fossile fuels and increased research into alternative energy sources to power these things.

Thoughts and Comments fellow ATS members?

~Keeper

www.time.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 2/3/2009 by tothetenthpower]

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Teleportation devices would never become a household way to travel. Way too many possibilities for missuse. Unfortunatly.(IMO)

Would be proper cool if we can do it though. Maybe have like bus stations,and stuff,just spitting people out on their daily commute. That'd rock.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
The reality is most normal people wouldn't be able to afford a personal teleporter. It is definitely very cool and exciting news but I don't think this will have a large impact on the ecosystem.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Depends, if people were spending 15 thousand on a transporter instead of a car?

It would really be up to the company to allow these things to be affordable in order to have business grow, and with corporate American the way it is, i can see how that might not work.

Would still have a huge impact on our daily lives tho.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   
It would sure make those late night booty calls easier to take care of

(don't flame...i'm just playin'!)

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   
It would definitely be a really cool advancement in technology, but I don't honestly think that teleportation would be perfected anytime soon. At least not to an extent where they would be marketed commercially.

I agree there are a lot of risks for misuse, too many for this to be practical in this day and age. People have a long way to go before they should have free access to the entire planet.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Acidtastic
Teleportation devices would never become a household way to travel. Way too many possibilities for missuse. Unfortunatly.(IMO)

I believe they will be, and that there are ways to safeguard. In fact, I wrote about such options in my book which I discuss here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

There are ways to ensure that only those allowed through will be - and if other steps are taken, the need to worry is highly reduced as well.

Would be proper cool if we can do it though. Maybe have like bus stations,and stuff,just spitting people out on their daily commute. That'd rock.

And if we play our cards right, there will be no "daily commute..." (Again, see my book...)

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Acidtastic

You know... the more I think about this the more I agree. Whats to stop say... Michael Jackson from teleporting to a childs house? There would definitely need to be some precautions taken. I think something sort of like a keypad where you and the person teleporting would need to enter in an address and then accept or something... lol I dunno I'm bored at work.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Wethesheeple

It most likely work on a user and password basis, maybe Biometric retinal scanner or something like that. I doubt they would be putting this on the market without some sort of Hardcore security system. I mean thieves would be able to steal anything in a blink of an eye.

IMO aswell i believe they would most likely be wall mounted units in your home or offices, street corners...that sort of thing. And it would use your genetic marker or something like that to get to where you wanted, if you had access.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wethesheeple

You know... the more I think about this the more I agree. Whats to stop say... Michael Jackson from teleporting to a childs house? There would definitely need to be some precautions taken. I think something sort of like a keypad where you and the person teleporting would need to enter in an address and then accept or something... lol I dunno I'm bored at work.

The port at the child's house only accepting specific "signatures...?" Certain personality signals, in other words.

Just saying that if we can build "Jump Doors," we can likely key them as well.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I read a Sci Fi book a few years ago about wormhole technology. Essentially it was perfected in the lab and it gave anyone the ability to communicate in the present or view things in the past. Privacy was obsolete....I can't remember the title. The book started with the inventors going to Mars at the exact time a manned mission was about to step foot on the planet. The book ended with the inventor(s) taking a look back to the beginning of the evolution of humans. Crap I wish I could remember the name of the book.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   

It could make for some right comedy japers I reckon. Jump out on unsuspecting people and give'em a wedgie,or slap them round the kisser with a big wet trout.You could just have people,popping in and out of existance. Like particles in quantum physics.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Amaterasu

I'm sorry that post was like a foreign language to me. Quantum Physics isn't exactly my forte. What do you mean by signatures?

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
That description somewhat reminds me of the movie Deja Vu. There's a computer that can send things through time and allows the computer (and those watching the monitors) to see through walls.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   

I'm sorry that post was like a foreign language to me. Quantum Physics isn't exactly my forte. What do you mean by signatures?
kind of like your genetic fingerprint. The unique recipie that makes up you.

(at least,I think that's what Amaterasu ment)

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
In this story the wormhole technology was available to the general public. Sort of like a quantum internet thing. You could go back to any point in time and view basically whatever you wanted (and whomever you wanted). An interesting concept and implications on the impact on society.

I don't remember the technology available to the public in the story being used for transport as much as just for communication and information retrieval.

[edit on 3-2-2009 by griffinrl]

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
It's something i've always wanted to become a reality since watching star trek,to be instantly transported to work or anywhere i like.
As much as it sounds good i don't think i'll see it in my lifetime & it would take many years to iron out the kinks,many people's lives would at risk everytime they used it.
Great to see it's close to being a reality

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Sorry. Let me see if I can explain it better. Each of us has a specific biological/electrical configuration. Individuals can be identified by these "signatures."

So if one has a portal and only wants certain people to have access, you give the "door" the configurations acceptable.

My book is not so technical, actually, as I tend to write on forum posts. And I guess the ideas are more clearly given in the book. A fun, short read if any are interested.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Thanks that does help. I would like to check your book out sometime. This topic is extremely interesting!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join