It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McDonald's posts sizzling 80% profit rise in 2008

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   

McDonald's posts sizzling 80% profit rise in 2008

news.yahoo.com

NEW YORK (AFP) – US fast-food giant McDonald's said Monday its 2008 net profit soared 80 percent from a year, lifted by growing demand from consumers seeking low-cost meals in a deepening global recession.
Net profit for the full year totaled 4.3 billion dollars, compared with 2.3 billion in 2007, the Oak Brook, Illinois-based company said in a statement.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Why does this figure blow my mind?

Is it not widely known that a daily diet of McDonalds will literally strip sometimes decades of a persons life?

"Through our strategic focus on menu choice, food quality and value, the average number of customers served per day increased to more than 58 million in 2008."

58 Million is 25% of the entire population, men, women, and children.

Why is it that what is bad for us is always promoted the opposite, and nothing is ever done to prevent such an insidious act?

USA Obeisity Trends 1985-2007

AAC

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 26-1-2009 by AnAbsoluteCreation]

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I ate at McDonalds more, it's so cheap. I try to eat their healthier stuff, but honestly I'm healthy, I can deal with a Big Mac once a month. Their salads are good, too.

It's so much cheaper than going out to Applebees or Olive Garden.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

That's exactly the reason I eat at McDonalds more as well. I don't know what they have done, but they have perfected the taste on about everything they sell, even down to the chicken select chicken fingers.

You gotta think, spend $40 for a couple at Friday's or $12 at Mcdonalds.

[edit on 26-1-2009 by jhill76]

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

I think McDonald's owns the rights to all of our taste buds, but that is part of the problem. I can't explain what a mcdonalds french fry does to me.

But look at the chart I posted on Obesity. 25-30% of the population is obese (which leads to a myriad of illnesses) and 25-30% of our population visits the place each year. That's all I'm saying.

However, I understand business.

AAC

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   
The problem with this is the fact that the nutritional value of this food is virtually nil. So while your belly gets full, you get no benefit from this at all.

Despite the fact people are eating their fill, this wont do anything good for you like a plate of lean chicken and veges will.

We think obesity is a problem now, wait until the year passes with all of the economic downturn, and see what happens to people then!

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   
right here we go again with the Macca's haters

Ive said it a million times most fast foods in the world are extremely bad for you if you don't work out or play any sport.....

I eat Macca's more than x5-6 a week and im still very healthy, can run further than most of my hippie esque friends that cant eat things with a face etc

Bottom line is you can pretty much eat what ever you want as long as you work out and do a little exercise.........

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Disclosure Agent

Care to share your age? While I agree that a person in the 20s may be able to stave off the deteriorating effects of a mcdonalds diet by working out and staying active, the problem then becomes your nutrient intake or better said deficiency.

AAC

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Just saw this and after seeing the comments I had to reply.

McDonalds in the U.K. is an expensive place to eat! They serve the same crap I believe, but it would be FAR cheaper for me to buy quality food from a supermarket.

The 58 million figure is global.

+8 more 
posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I really don't get it, is the entire planet completely stupid?

It "costs less", really? Costs less than not being so freakin' lazy and actually cooking an adequate meal?

Try looking at ingredients for creating food yourself, then come back and say it's so cheap.

McDonald's is hardly a social venue, you don't go there on a date, for a nice meal. This is just millions of people being their usual idiot selves. And I'll bet these same people are the ones crying about how they're suffering in the financial crisis too!

It's not affordable, it's not cheap, it's just lazy.

That's the only reason why a business like this is doing so well, because people are idiots.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by AnAbsoluteCreation

Their profits don't come from what they sell, that's just crap. It's all the part time jobs that get them out of having to pay for employment benefits and tax's and the fact that their employers only make minimum wages.

I boycotted McDinks along time ago just for that reason, about 5 years now.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Think about how many new countries are enjoying the McDonalds franchise.
They've expanded almost ALL over the world.
Something people ought to know, though, is how they pick the cheapest, most ill-looking animals at auctions. I heard they would even buy cattle that had to be dragged behind a truck, because it couldn't walk. Animals with cancer, whatever.

Also, I heard from credible sources that they use EVERYTHING in the cow for hamburger. Eyeballs, etc.....
Supersize me is a great documentary that I showed my children.
They don't beg for McDonalds!

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

Wow to call people lazy you just do not get it. No one here is saying we eat at Mcdonalds day in and out. But, instead of going to the usual Fridays we go to Mcdonalds because it is cheaper than spending $40 at the restaurant. Also, if you are with your better half, an expensive date doesn't matter, it's just the time spent together.

Get a grip. What you do in your life is different from what other people do.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

Sugar, Sugar, Sugar... they have more sugar in their big macs than a sunday. Look at your kids after they have eaten there. They are all hipped up on sugar. As if they had just eaten a chocolate bar.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:51 PM
link   
They started selling Newmans Own organic coffee. Just think of all the people fed up with $5 coffee at Starbucks that can now hit the drive through on a road trip for a good tasting large coffee. Then if you're getting a drink you might as well see of the fries are still as good as you remember.

They are not.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by jhill76
Also, if you are with your better half, an expensive date doesn't matter, it's just the time spent together.

In McDonalds?

What a way to spend time on Earth. You have no class.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by YourForever

Lol. Why does it matter if you are at the park or in the jungle, you are spending time togther. Class, if you live together, tell me what does class have to do with eating at Mcdonalds.

Again, I am not talking about a first date, I am talking about someone you LIVE with and been together with for yrs. on in.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   
They can price the food pretty cheap because most of their meat product is not from US meat producers, but from cheaper sources like Mexico.

Their produce is the same, from cheaper sources.

They used to say "our beef patties are made from 100 percent pure American beef". That was 20 or so years ago.

Today they only say "our beef patties are made from 100 percent pure beef".

What happend to "American pure beef"????

There is why they got 80 percent profit.

Honestly, how many here have filled up at McD's and be hungry again 20 minutes later?!!!!

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:58 PM
link   
McDonald's is a global corporation. 58 million is not 25% of 6.7 billion. It's not even a full quarter of the U.S. population of 305 million.

58 million is still a big number though. For 3 bucks I can get a double cheeseburger, a small drink, and 4 chicken nuggets. So yeah, it's cheap food...

But look at the cost of staple foods. Rice, beans, potatoes, fresh fruits and vegetables... these things are cheap. People say "well McDonald's is convenient..." Seriously? How long does it take to rinse off an apple, or peal an orange? What about the health effects? Is triple bypass surgery convenient?

Seriously folks, check out the produce section. A plate full of fresh fruits and vegetables will cost half the price of a Big Mac Value Meal.

And I'm not saying that McDonald's is a bad company. They create a product, people eat it. That's their choice. In fact, I think their food is delicious. I eat there often in the summer time, as I go for a lot of walks when the weather is nice and McDonald's is within walking distance of my house.

All I'm saying is that "Oh, but we're poor now" is a lousy excuse for Americans to eat garbage that will turn us more and more into revolting fat blobs. It really is getting disgusting in this country. A full third of our population is obese now. More people are obese than overweight now.

Let me repeat that: More people in the U.S. are obese than simply overweight. Do you know how disgusting that is? It's not genetic problems when our society gets that fat. Thyroids aren't the cause of this. 58 million people buying fried food from a guy in a clown suit are the cause.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   
This doesn't surprise me to be honest. I'm always seeing vouchers and tickets offering good deals. Take for instance, I use the bus everyday. On the back of the bus ticket, there is a deal going, Fries and BigMac for £1:99.

Can't go wrong there can you? It's all good having a fat Burger now and again as long as you've got a balanced diet. I avoid the fizzy drinks though. They're full of sugar.

Another thing, McDonalds is excellent for employing old people and students. They get a lot of bad press, but at the end of the day, they're not so bad.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join