It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Portland Mayor Won't Resign Over Lying About Teen

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Portland Mayor Won't Resign Over Lying About Teen

abcnews.go.com

The teenager, Beau Breedlove, was a legislative intern when he met the mayor at age 17. He and the mayor both say their sexual relationship started after his 18th birthday, in June 2005.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.foxnews.com

Mod Edit: Altered thread title to reflect actual article headline.
Please review link: Breaking Alternative News guidelines

[edit on 1/26/2009 by maria_stardust]

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I can't make up my mind on whether this guy should resign or not. The kid was 18, and it was consensual, but at the same time, the kid was working for him as an intern. This guy should have other, more important things on his mind, rather than having sex with interns. If on mayor can get away with is, others can too. So maybe it is best for this guy to be removed from office.

Thoughts? Comments? Anyone from Portland that would like to share their opinion?

abcnews.go.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 25/1/09 by wisefoolishness]

Mod Edit: Altered thread title to reflect actual article headline.
Please review link: Breaking Alternative News guidelines

[edit on 1/26/2009 by maria_stardust]

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Yeah it's not the age issue, it was just professionally inaproriate. Like having an affair with your secretary.

He should resign, he showed extremely poor judgement, but leave the gay out of it really.

If it was consentual on both ends, than that should have nothing to do with the story.

It was a bad judgment call....that's it.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by wisefoolishness

Ultimately my thought is this.

You are right, what he did was not illegal.

However, it was highly unethical given the fact that the "kid" was also his "intern".

Should he resign?

That's a tougher question. I mean, what he did was unethical from a romantic/sexual perspective. It wasn't unethical from a political perspective as it didn't relate to selling nominations etc.

However, he did lie about it when asked. I believe his reason as to why he lied... but he still lied.

Ultimately that's what got Clinton. Not the sex in the oval office with an intern, but lying. Americans can deal with someone who likes em young, but legal. Americans however have a very hard time respecting a liar.

Dc and Marion Barry not withstanding of course.

Without having any insight into how he performs his duties, my initial response after reflection is that resignation is in the best interests of the City. However, I'm not in Portland, and I don't know if perhaps he was elected on a landslide and is doing amazing things or what...

So there may be extenuating circumstance... I dunno

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I agree with you.

I almost feel it would be worse if he had sex with an 18 year old girl, rather than an 18 year old boy. To me, being gay has no negative impression on me.

Remember the kind of hell that was raised the last time a politician had sexual relations with an intern?

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Ugh.....ummmm. Trying to conjur a political stand point of this but one cannot come to mind.

All I know is this is disgusting, as is the thought of male on male sex, what being even worst as he'll dub this kid the prince.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I dont think he should resign, if him and this kid are in a good relationship good for them. God knows some politicians need a good banging.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Not it should matter but the mayor is 46 - shouldn't he know better than this by now? It's quite amazing how almost every politician just can't stay off the help.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   
This guy was able to do his jobe before having sex with that guy. What makes you think he isn't doing his job afterwards. I for myself got to work as usual, even after having sex...

Prude yankeeeeeees. Get real people.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

It wasn't the lying. He betrayed his wife!!! Not that I didn't understand his actions looking at her...

And don't tell me Hillary is hot.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Benarius

As it has already been said, it isn't really the sex that is bad, it is the poor judgment to have sex with an employee, and the fact that he lied about it. Lying about anything and waiting three years to reveal it is not in the best interest of the people in my opinion.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Sex with an employee is bad. Don't think so. You should try it once.

2nd line

btw...woman to advance the corporate ladder us it all the time. Why not men...

[edit on 25-1-2009 by Benarius]

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I'm led to understand the age of sexual 'consent' in the UK is sixteen.

Of course, I also understand that in all 50 States of the USA the legal 'age of consent' is 18.

Irrespective, the scandal is a scandal....although the attempt to portray THIS as somehow similar to the Clinton/Lewinsky incident is a bit of a stretch.

This current 'scandal' gets most of its legs because of the same-sex aspect.

EVEN THE TITLE of this thread invites criticism. YES, of course, an 18-year-old and and even a 19-year-old is STILL a 'teen'. How much more 'juicy' is it, though, to title this sex scandal as a 'Teen Sex' scandal....oh! Even better, a 'Gay Teen Sex Scandal'!!!

EDIT....because we've already SEEN this....the Senator Larry Craig fiasco, and the "Reverend" from Colorado, what's his name....Ted Haggard!

Look, the hyprocrisy is paramount, not only in the 'churches', but all throughout society.

Face it, people!!! Human Sexuality is complex, and cannot be stifled by trying to tamp it down into a bottle that a particular society wishes to 'describe' it. Doesn't work in the 'Taliban', doesn't work in the USA either.

Gee, if the intern had been Twenty, or older, THEN what would have been the headline??? "Young Adult with Older Guy Gay Sex Scandal"???

[edit on 1/25/0909 by weedwhacker]

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

And if it was a priest, as so many have been caught, they would have gotten away with it too. With a raise. A pay raise that is...

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benarius

2nd line

That's a pretty sexist statement. Why is sexism not considered equal to racism?

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mynaeris

Originally posted by Benarius

2nd line

That's a pretty sexist statement. Why is sexism not considered equal to racism?

Yes it is. So you mean it doesn't exist? I am all for a black gay president too, if he is qualified to do the job.

Let me add that the mayor of germanys capital, Berlin, is gay and happily married to a man. And that since years. He is doing a phantastic job.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mynaeris
Not it should matter but the mayor is 46 - shouldn't he know better than this by now? It's quite amazing how almost every politician just can't stay off the help.

Actually it's probably one of the oldest stories in history.

Older person is really into younger person and vice versa.

I don't think his age has anything to do with the fact that he did do something that was legal, albeit unprofessional.

What does bother me though is that he lied about it.

If you are going to do something which is legal, why hide it? Screw whoever thinks it's shameful... by golly it's legal. But he messed up that opportunity because he lied.

Pity.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Ben, a 'black gay president' of what? Student Council???

AND, what in the heck does 'gay' have to do with it, anyway???

THIS is how the media jump on a 'scandal', and it gets spun....usually by the likes of Fox 'news', and the same ilk.

In the UK, name the scandal sheet, whatever is a 'Daily', and you get the same result.

Aussies, I'm sure you have your equivalent, as do just about every paper in the 'Western' World.

Back to the USA....just about every week, the 'National Enquiror' is at the Super-Market checkout aisle with some outrageous bull....oops, I should type 'baloney' about someone. Trash 'journalism', is al it is. AND I apply that same moniker to Rupert Murdoch, and ANY of his pathetic Enterprises, including the nasty travesty that parades as 'news', Fox. NOW, Murdoch's tendrils have entwined into the Wall Street Journal....long a right-wing bastion, now a new mouthpiece for Rupert....yellow journalism at its finest, just reborn!!!

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker

Ben, a 'black gay president' of what? Student Council???

AND, what in the heck does 'gay' have to do with it, anyway???

THIS is how the media jump on a 'scandal', and it gets spun....usually by the likes of Fox 'news', and the same ilk.

In the UK, name the scandal sheet, whatever is a 'Daily', and you get the same result.

Aussies, I'm sure you have your equivalent, as do just about every paper in the 'Western' World.

Back to the USA....just about every week, the 'National Enquiror' is at the Super-Market checkout aisle with some outrageous bull....oops, I should type 'baloney' about someone. Trash 'journalism', is al it is. AND I apply that same moniker to Rupert Murdoch, and ANY of his pathetic Enterprises, including the nasty travesty that parades as 'news', Fox. NOW, Murdoch's tendrils have entwined into the Wall Street Journal....long a right-wing bastion, now a new mouthpiece for Rupert....yellow journalism at its finest, just reborn!!!

I follow you. So then it's bloody time that this so called "professional" reporters and the MSM should be held accountable for invading private space. PASTA. Otherwise people will never stop reading nothing but crap, crap and more crap. I rest my case and am off this thread. I hope the mayor succeeds in sueing this people. He should at least try and make a point. Roger and out.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 12:03 AM
link   
I live in Portland. Mayor was just sworn in Jan 1 so it's hard to judge success.

He was openly gay during the campaign so was elected with everyone accepting that about him. This situation is not about the gay lifestyle. It's about the fact that he started this relationship while the intern was 17. This happened several years ago. Young man is now 21. Naturally this story was mentioned during campaign. Candidate (now mayor) insisted it was not true, that he did not have sex with anyone underage. Became quite belligerent about it. Launched personal attacks on another candidate over it. Other candidate dropped out. One reporter from small local paper confronted candidate early 2008 about this story. He denied it but he hired her for his staff even though she is said to not be qualified for the job she got. I'm getting all this stuff from our local newspaper over the past week. None of it is personal knowledge. Originally the young man in question went along with mayor's story but is now revealing details that differ. In other words we're talking about both a lie and a coverup.

Two camps in Portland about what mayor should do.

Those who think he should resign have two reasons. (Most people don't appear to have any interest in any potential criminal aspect.(
1. For a City Commissioner to prey on an intern is completely inappropriate. It's inappropriate for elected officials as well as in any workplace. Age difference compounds the problem in this case.
2. The majority of people (according to an online poll) object to the lie and the coverup.

Those who think he should stay say that this is a private matter and not a matter for public discussion. It appears to me that those who support him also happen to have an interest in local concerns that he promised to help with, such as neighborhood issues and other things they want done around the city. They are afraid that if he resigns the approvals they were counting on will be gone.

Like I said, this summary is based on newspaper articles and local tv news reports over the past week. If anybody wants a link on any specific item I'll try to find it.

People of Portland are particularly disgusted by the mayor's lapse of good judgment because our state was rocked by a scandal a few years ago when our Golden Haired Boy Neil Goldschmidt, former Oregon governor and all around powerful person was discovered to have had a sexual relationship with a 14 year old babysitter (many years ago) that was covered up by many important people and many favors granted to those who held the knowledge. For this mayor to do this now is held to be beyond foolish.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join