It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what do you know about old mobile phones

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 12:00 AM
link   
I'm a long time lurker on these forums and never registered an account, but this has a very unconspiratorial explanation. From '03-'05 I worked for at&t in a project group that implemented the old hardware buybacks. We were offering service credits of 10-25 dollars for old phones when customers bought new ones. Its a self-funding method subsidizing new phone sales. Non-functional handsets were sold to recyclers literally by the pound and functional hardware was sold to dealers who would do a refurb(batteries almost always needed to be replaced) and resell them in south america and africa. The program was basically a wash for at&t with the benefit of reducing the cost to customers when they bought new phones(which typically also means a contract renewal).

I love a good conspiracy, but here the answer is pretty straightforward. Everyone buying old cellphones is just reselling them in emerging markets at a profit. There are all sorts of legitimate conspiracies within the communications industry, this just isn't one of them.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 12:19 AM
link   
This is rediculous , Obama has all of your conversations on his akashic record archive on his blackberry anyway. (thats why they took it away) National Security my A**.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 12:25 AM
link   
I know prior to digital cellular, analog cellular signals could be picked up on old televisions with variable UHF tuning capabilities.

I used to sit with my brother and listen to calls on his little B&W television.

Anyway, TV is going digital, gather up analog tuners? Not sure.

Anyway, still have my first StarTac analog phone--sitting in a junk box somewhere.

delius

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by badmedia

Originally posted by RFBurns
Thats so rediculous. None of the older phones, including the new ones, have enough memory capacity to store even the lowest bitrate digital audio.

Some common sense is warranted here.

They want the old mobile phones so they can get at the gold inside the IC chips and recycle the material.

Cheers!!!!

This pretty much sums it up. I don't know where the OP got his theory, but it defies common sense.

But please, can you spell ridiculous right? Not trying to be a spelling nazi, I make my fair share. But that word for some reason is a pet peeve of mine.

REDEKEWLUSS!!!

sekund lyne

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr virus

what do you know about old mobile phones

I know that they don't text message, unlike the new ones.

[edit on 24-1-2009 by In nothing we trust]

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 12:58 AM
link   
I know for a fact they keep all of the text messages, the mayor of Detroit got busted, and they had all his text messages. I can't recall the name of company but it's one that has thing in sky.
They would not release all of info to public, some or most was sexual in nature, and he is married, but this was not his wife.

Watch what you text if you have something to hide because they got it all down and dirty.

Wait this Mayor in Detroit is going to get about 25yrs., plus they got daddy, and then the murder thing. Feds on case now, he thought City money, was his money, mo money, mo money.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 12:58 AM
link   
My first double post mo post, mo post!

[edit on 24-1-2009 by googolplex]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join