It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Daft Kiwi copyright law could be adopted

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Daft Kiwi copyright law could be adopted

www.theinquirer.net

NEW ZEALAND is set to adopt a daft, draconian copyright infringement law next month, which will see Internet users summarily disconnected merely upon accusation that they've unlawfully shared copyrighted files, with no proof, due process or right of appeal involved.
Termed Section 92 of the Copyright Amendment Act, the outrageous Kiwi legislation makes the assumption that any Internet user in the country accused of copyright infringement will automatically be deemed guilty. Just the allegation requires that their ISP disconnect them.
Instigated at the behest of the RIANZ, New Zealand's Big Music MAFIAA analogue of the US-based RIAA, the law is currently scheduled to be put into force at the end of February.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.parliament.nz www.legislation.govt.nz
creativefreedom.org.nz

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Nothing like 'innocent until proven guilty,' is there? Apparently, it's "impractical" and "ridiculous," according RIANZ chief executive Campbell Smith, for accusers to provide evidence of a breach of copyright.

TelstraClear already kills websites based on one accusation of breach-and they admit that they don't investigate first.

Best of all, the law as it currently exists doesn't have any consequences for false accusations....

www.theinquirer.net
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
if i was a kiwi i would be accusing everyone involved in politics and media until the entire desision making class of the nation was really angry at the stupid new law and decided to remove it.

sometimes the only way to fight these silly new laws is to play along, show them how ill thought out they really are.

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by NatureBoy
if i was a kiwi i would be accusing everyone involved in politics and media until the entire desision making class of the nation was really angry at the stupid new law and decided to remove it.

Nice...or the adverse and have the entire New Zealand internet population start sharing everything...

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   
great idea nature boy, seems like a plan and a half. i would suggest the first people to accuse would be everyone involved in the business end of music.

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Yikes!

"..."impractical" and "ridiculous," according RIANZ chief executive Campbell Smith, for accusers to provide evidence of a breach of copyright....

And no one accused him on the spot of file sharing?

That's what I would have done.

Then I would have accused every single executive and official in the country of the same thing..., demanding to know WHY their internet access hadn't been immediately and summarily suspended.

Or was it there contention that ONLY THEY have the right to make the accusation?

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Theorecticly, only the 'aggrieved copyright holder' can make the accusation. But given that some ISPs are already cutting things off, it's certainly worth a try.

It's not in effect yet, though. It has passed and will come into effect in February unless Parliament jumps in to correct its mistake.

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
In that case, all you need to do, is make a song containing a few notes, and copyright it.

Then you have your weapon, accuse away and bring the law down around them.

join