It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should I become a Mason? A "FreeMason" that is..

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Reminder:

Posts about Members are NOT on topic...And will be removed.

The Topic is:

"Should I become a Mason? A "FreeMason" that is."

Thank you

Semper

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Mintwithahole.

The reason we require a belief in a supreme being is because when a person takes a oath to something and does not have a belief in a supreme being there is nothing holding them to the oath. where masonry as a whole only asks for a belief in a supreme being the Knights Templer will only allow those who have a belief in Jesus Christ. I'm sorry for the earlier confusion.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by scooterstrats

thank you that is what has drawn be to this site.

As for the thread at hand deciding on joining our organization is a leap of faith because untill you have joined there is no way of knowing what it is we do. if you join for fame or for any other reason than to help others, better yourself, or to meet like minded people with common experiences, your better off not joinning. I love my decision in joining and in no way believe there is anything within it that will effect your faith in a negative way, it has actually gotten me back into church and improved my faith

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 12:24 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 12:40 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freemason Joe

The reason we require a belief in a supreme being is because when a person takes a oath to something and does not have a belief in a supreme being there is nothing holding them to the oath. where masonry as a whole only asks for a belief in a supreme being the Knights Templer will only allow those who have a belief in Jesus Christ. I'm sorry for the earlier confusion.

So I would imagine that this oath is sworn on the holy bible?
Not being a religious person if I was to become a mason wouldn't my word do? Would I have to swear on the bible, or would you ask me to anyway just to complete the ritual?

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   
I agree with mint...the requirment of belief in a supreme being is ridiculously flexible. It doesn't make an iota of sense...

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   
It is not required that an incoming Mason going through the degrees take their degrees on the Holy Bible. In fact, we had a gentleman of another monotheistic faith, and he took his degrees on his particular religion's holy scriptures. I think we had to check with the Grand Lodge, and received approval just to be certain that it was acceptable.

Most Masons who go through the degrees, however, use the Holy Bible. In our state, there is also an exclusively Jewish Masonic Lodge, and I would imagine that they use the Torah or Tanach as their Holy Scriptures for Masonic ceremony.

As far as the "ridiculous"-ness of the requirement of belief in a Supreme Being, I guess you are entitled to that opinion. Personally, I don't think there is anything wrong with it, and in fact, I think it's pretty open-minded for Masons to allow people of different faiths to come together for charitable, philanthropic, and fraternal purposes.

The alternative is to restrict membership to a particular religious faith - such as Methodists only, or Catholics only, etc. Or, the alternative would be to open up the Lodge to people who don't believe in God (atheists) or to Satanists - and the Lodge's Masonic ceremonies do not align with these belief systems. We all have a universal belief in a Supreme Being - In Christianity, meaning God.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by CookieMonster09
We all have a universal belief in a Supreme Being - In Christianity, meaning God.

I am not quite following you here Brother. I for one do not have a belief in Chrisitanity, the whole Transfiguration thing did not make sense to me when I was seven and in Cathecism School and it makes even less sense now. I think of myself as a Diest and my spirituality is very far removed from any orginized type of religion.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   

I am not quite following you here Brother. I for one do not have a belief in Chrisitanity, the whole Transfiguration thing did not make sense to me when I was seven and in Cathecism School and it makes even less sense now. I think of myself as a Diest and my spirituality is very far removed from any orginized type of religion.

I never said that you had to have a belief in Christianity. I said that you had to have a belief in a Supreme Being. In Christianity - simply for the sake of example - the Supreme Being would refer to "God" or "Lord" and the "Trinity" (Father, Son, and Holy Ghost). In Judaism, it would refer to "Hashem" (meaning "The Name"). In Islam, it would refer to "Allah", etc.

I never mentioned transfiguration, catechism school, etc.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by CookieMonster09
I never said that you had to have a belief in Christianity. I said that you had to have a belief in a Supreme Being. In Christianity - simply for the sake of example - the Supreme Being would refer to "God" or "Lord" and the "Trinity" (Father, Son, and Holy Ghost). In Judaism, it would refer to "Hashem" (meaning "The Name"). In Islam, it would refer to "Allah", etc.

Crystal clear, thank you.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   

The oaths are sworn on the holy writings of the persons beliefs. No, your word wouldn't do, the would not be considered binding.

reply to post by CookieMonster09

You wouldn't happen to belong to the NY Grand Lodge would you?

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   
KSig - No, I am down here in the midwest

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by CookieMonster09

Ah, I knew of a primarily Jewish Lodge in NY that had close ties with the Grand Lodge of Idaho.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Hello all,

I'm not a Freemason, yet. Tho I'm quivering in my books for the chance of becoming one. I guess i could learn to use some patience.

But as for the original OP. From what I have researched Freemasonry has something for every person with moral faith.

I see a lot of Christians who are interested in Freemasonry get cold feet the second the look into some of the aspects of Freemasonry.

To you folks I say this, If Freemasonry is not a religion would it not make perfect sense that all it's aspects not fit your particular dogmatic beliefs?

Would it not make even more sense that it is it's non dogmatic aspects that appeal you your faith?

It's just a matter of having your cake and demanding to eat it too.

Take a look at this....

Predominantly in the United States the Knights Templar is the final order joined in the York Rite. Unlike other Masonic bodies which only require a belief in a Supreme Being regardless of religion, membership in the Knights Templar is open only to Christian Masons who have completed their Royal Arch and in some jurisdictions their Cryptic Degrees.[3]

Wiki

Izzy.

[edit on 1-11-2009 by Izarith]

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
What with Chaplains-of-the-Lodge and Masonic Prayers & Songs it's no surprise so many Masons think it is a religion and rarely, if ever, attend Church.

Actually it's pharisees like you which are why many of us rarely attend church. So blinded by your own self righteousness, that you don't seem to even need to take time to really study the Bible or it's history to even know what your own faith is about. I know many good fellow Christians who "walk the walk" by following the teachings of Christ, not simply point the finger at all to make up for their spiritual insecurity....men with your point of view were the very sort of men who needed to crucify Christ.....different words and symbols, same blueprint of intolerance, and hate mongering.

I know I know......that was being unfair to the Pharisees. I apologize to my Jewish brethren.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
The bottom line here is:

If you CANNOT accept the idea of Religious Freedom, than you should NOT become a Mason. It is that simple.

My god is bigger/better than your god has no place in a masonic lodge.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Hi,

I am currently thinking in becoming a freemason, but they require me to have a belief in any religion. I do not partake in any religions since they are false, fiction based. Jesus parallels other older God saviors such as Krishma, Horus/Isis, etc

HOw do I become a freemason without believing in religions?

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by CanadaMaster

You don't have to believe in religion. You only have to believe in god. We don't ask you what you call him, or how you do or don't worship him. Just that you believe there was some (intelligent?) creating force that caused the Big Bang (with intent?) is probably enough.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 03:08 AM
link   
reply to post by JoshNorton

Ok, thanks for the clarification. I would like to know if the following belief that I have would be enough to grant me membership?:

I believe that I have a soul, that my soul is what controls my body and its the true consciousness within me, my physical brain is just a mere receptor for my soul, where all the real processing of though occurs. I further belief that I am a baby God, learning how to master my spiritual beliefs and to master my art of will power and the dominion over my defects (learning to control extreme sexual desires (aka Masturbation amongst others), learning to control my extreme desire to sleep too much therefore compromising on my responsibilities, and others areas of imperfections that I have to work on), I have already mastered the art of eating healthy, dumping all junk food, using water filter that filters out the fluoride, purchasing organic food only, as naturally as possible.

Also, I believe in reincarnation, if I did not did well enough to advance spiritually, then I get to reborn again to learn about my previous life's mistakes and hopefully get it right this time, and pay back karmic debt (if applicable).

Well, that's my faith.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join