It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To all you BLEEPING ATSers BLEEP YOU !!!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muundoggie
reply to post by deepred

Most interesting post in a long time.
You should get 1,000 stars for this.

I LIKE the way you think, Thanks

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I was ready to direct you to the rant forum!

Great study in perception!

Originally posted by intrepid
Thus chill

That is the coolest line I've ever read.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Well I looked at the thread title and thought "What the...." someone is having a go at us. So being the curious being that I am, I read it and was a bit peed off.

I then scrolled to the unedited version and had a laugh

Things are really not as they seem. I agree that this was a good way of testing how we perceive things at a glance.

Great post

take care all
res

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Fabulously important OP! It was extreme but it needed to be to make the point. It is the same with how "truths" are perceived. you 'read' or rather interpret what you want to prove your point rather than be objective to the information given.

We, on ATS, are suppose to be some of the most open minded and intelligent people (ofcourse the term intelligence is subjective) and sometimes I wonder if that is actually the case. I have witnessed alot of ignorance and closed minded people and perhaps this site is losing its intentional flavor.

I dont know if anything I just wrote makes the same sense in print as it does in my head LOL but thank you for reading it.

my spare change.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Very intruiging. Well done my friend. Way to make me think.

I was all ready to direct you to the rant forum. But wow, Thats neat.

Well done.

Perception is an interesting thing. We see the word bleep and assume that there has to be a cuss word or some other negative thing behind it. I suppose because usually when we do see that, there is.

Im impressed. Thanks buddy! You just made it onto my friends list based on this thread alone.

Dust

[edit on 4-1-2009 by gimme_some_truth]

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
I almost hit the ALERT button... Not a very nice thread, just taking up bandwith and you have said nothing about which threads have kept you awake or anything pertinent. I did not like it, not one bit. I will not be back.

You just single handedly proved the OP's point. When you saw those bleeps in there you assumed it could only be a bad word underneath it. You assumed so most likely because of your experience. Usually when one sees that, it is censoring something negative. In this case it didnt though. It was a compliment to all of ATS.

You clearly didnt read the entire thread. You saw those bleeps and got so angry you completley missed the entire second half of the post. You almost even reported the guy.

Way to single handedly prove the point of the OP.

Dust

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by SleeplessInUS

I am glad you got a chukle out of it.

And I understand where you are comming from I find myself reading the first few lines of a post and I think I know what the writer is saying,,,I am quite often wrong.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Brilliant - thankyou for putting a smile on my face

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

Thanks for your reply.

I am not real sure how the friends list thing works but, I am honored to have you as a friend.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by deepred

And I am honored that you are a member of ATS.

If you dont mind me explaining how the friends list works... When you see some one that you want make your friend. Just click their username and it will take you to their profile. Scroll down a bit and underneath their avatar ( on the left side of the page) will be two buttons, one says my friend (in green) the other says my foe ( in red) To make them a friend.

I hope that helps buddy, thanks again.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Actually, I think this topic is somewhat misleading. Yes, I do agree perspective is everything, and at first I thought it was clever.

However, the reason people reacted and thought it meant what it said is because you bleeped over words. When the only time it is needed to bleep over words is when such words are bad. That in itself IMPLIES bad words, no matter if meant or not.

How many times is bleep used to cover up good words? Really it's not. And that is what lead people to think it was "bad" at the start. As such, you purposely mislead peoples perception. This is also why the "other" version was needed to clarify, because this perception was already known to be produced.

I do agree with the general premise of things. In order to gain a better perspective on things, we need to look at all available perspectives.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
So....I'm the only one who didn't get tricked?
C' mon ATSers, maybe this place really is losing its edge.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Hell, I do not buy half of what is said on here but I still enjoy reading through this site for entertainment purposes.But I'd never snap and go off lol.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
I will not be back.

Okay. Don't let the door hit ya' in the (bleep) on the way out.

Funny thread.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   
This is reminiscent of the bleeped Barack Obama speech. Very funny with the bleeps because my perceptions create a new truth contained within the words.

A flag for you for challenging preconceptions.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   
got me too with that one....thought just another peed off ats'er ....I always like a good twist to the end of a story....

BLEEP you and BLEEP your mum for giving birth to you....

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Elijio
So....I'm the only one who didn't get tricked?
C' mon ATSers, maybe this place really is losing its edge.

So you are saying that you clicked on thsi thread under the impression that it was going to be a compliment? You are saying that you read the topic which is "To all BLEEPING ATSers BLEEP YOU!!!" and you thought it was a compliment?

Pardon me for saying, but I dont believe you. Based on the title alone you had no reason to believe it was anything but an insult.

Im not trying to call you out as a liar ( Im really not) I just have trouble buying that you thought it anything but an insult. But if I am wrong ( that has happened once before, but only once
) I do apologise.

peace my friend.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   
"Knock Knock..." "Who's there......" "Bleep!" "Bleep who....?" Bleep you!

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by badmedia
Actually, I think this topic is somewhat misleading. Yes, I do agree perspective is everything, and at first I thought it was clever.

However, the reason people reacted and thought it meant what it said is because you bleeped over words. When the only time it is needed to bleep over words is when such words are bad. That in itself IMPLIES bad words, no matter if meant or not.

How many times is bleep used to cover up good words? Really it's not. And that is what lead people to think it was "bad" at the start. As such, you purposely mislead peoples perception. This is also why the "other" version was needed to clarify, because this perception was already known to be produced.

I do agree with the general premise of things. In order to gain a better perspective on things, we need to look at all available perspectives.

Thank you for your insight to the OP.

As was shown in the second half of the post BLEEP does not always mean what many would perceive it to mean.

It was intended to be a dramatic method of pointing out how we sometimes assume we understand the meaning of a word when we do not.

BTW what words did you substitute for the BLEEPS while you were reading the first half of the post?

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by deepred

Thank you for this thread.

I have been working on a research project and this might just have helped me a bit.

BTW the project is: " What is the validity of religious texts(Bible & Qur'an)? Who wrote them, when and why? What makes them valid or not valid as communication from a supreme being?"

It might just be that the validity is not with the material itself but with how the reader perceives it thus making it valid for some and not for others

Thanks again
S&F

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join