It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats going on at yellowstone?

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 09:35 AM
link   
wasnt there just one at 7:30am.... this morning?

www.quake.utah.edu...

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Shirakawa, no you're not the only one having those connection problems, I'm having them too from Germany.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 09:44 AM
link   
the yellowstone area is an underground volcano. One that has a small shaft from a highly compressed pool of lava. Once the pressuree reaches the breaking point, instead of a normal mountain volcano, this one blasts chaoticly and in large area.

Last time this happened it left ash in the lungs of quadrapeds as far as the eastern coast. If yellowstone goes off,

A: the Western US is just Gone, the middle is charred and covered, the east is barely alive.

B: refer to A: for effects.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 09:46 AM
link   
remeber ther eis a HUGE change in topography between the west and te east.... there are large mountian ranges separating yellow stone from the west. Also the winds blow away from the west. Ash would most likly spread all eastward....and the mountians would take the brunt of any horizantal shockwave.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 10:09 AM
link   
According to the USGS, earthquake swarms are common. The most recent vigorous swarm was in 1985:

During the 1985 swarm, as many as 100 to 200 events per day occurred from October 16 to 20, and the two largest events (magnitudes 4.9 and 4.3) struck on November 9.

And after study:

A likely cause of the 1985 earthquake swarm, according to scientists, was the rupture of a widespread layer of impermeable rock (through which fluids cannot pass) above the magma reservoir. The rupture of this rock layer allowed pressurized hydrothermal fluids (hot watery solutions) to move upward and laterally out of the caldera and into an adjacent network of fractures over a period of many weeks. As the fluids pushed through this network, cracks were opened and adjacent rocks were broken, resulting in several thousand small quakes. At the same time, according to this model, the lateral escape of fluids through the impermeable layer dramatically decreased the upward pressure normally exerted by the hydrothermal system beneath the caldera, resulting in subsidence there.

(from pubs.usgs.gov...)

So while people may enjoy speculating that a site that hasn't seen an eruption for 70,000 years, and not a serious eruption that would change the entire continent for 640,0000 years, may explode and kill us all, I'd venture a guess it's something similar to the 1985 event, and it doesn't seem anywhere even on that scale yet.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 10:45 AM
link   
They're only a mile down? Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought those were mostly just a non issue, esp in Yellowstone. Thats just some existing magma or water/steam flows moving around a bit. Its when its much deeper down is when people might perk an eyebrow, at least from what I recall before my coffee here.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   
never mind just saw that UTC is GMT and has nothing to do with Utah - please excuse

[edit on 12/29/2008 by trusername]

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 11:13 AM
link   
[user corrected his post]

[edit on 29-12-2008 by Shirakawa]

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by CoffinFeeder

"Shallow" quakes are more disturbing at Yellowstone. The Crust around the Magma bubble is only approx 10 miles thick. Yes it varies in areas, but in the area the quakes are concentrated at, we are looking at only about 10 miles of crust holding the magma inside the earth.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by fleabit

I saw that spike for 1985 too - that would make me even more nervous than this has hit fox news already.

But I wouldn't say that a rupture was something to ignore. I think that a volcanic explosion probably always starts with a rupture.

Why isn't the site being updated with latest earthquakes since last night - looks like there may have been 2 since then? maybe cuz of the press coverage - they don't want unnecessary alarm - bunch more nuts like us checking the site every hour.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by trusername
Why isn't the site being updated with latest earthquakes since last night - looks like there may have been 2 since then? maybe cuz of the press coverage - they don't want unnecessary alarm - bunch more nuts like us checking the site every hour.

The Seismograph is being updated, but the Utah earthquake page isn't.

Definitely one of those things that make you go Hmmmm

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   
The one at 06:53 MST on the graph definitely looks like an earthquake to me, but I'm not an expert, so I could be wrong. The earthquake list here is reported to be updated anyway. Very strange. Maybe they're not hiding anything, but rather discouraging people to refresh the page every minute or so (I admit I've been doing this for the last 24 hours
) also because of bandwidth problems (the connection and speed problems I was having).

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blue Flowers
the yellowstone area is an underground volcano. One that has a small shaft from a highly compressed pool of lava. Once the pressuree reaches the breaking point, instead of a normal mountain volcano, this one blasts chaoticly and in large area.

Last time this happened it left ash in the lungs of quadrapeds as far as the eastern coast. If yellowstone goes off,

A: the Western US is just Gone, the middle is charred and covered, the east is barely alive.

B: refer to A: for effects.

Ok.. first of all.. stop watching youtube snippets for "information"... cause your clearly clueless on this topic:

A: No... the western U.S wouldn't be just GONE.. sounds to me like you don't have a clue about geography.
the west is protected by these little hills called the "rockies". infact, the west coast would be one of the last places effected by fallout.
last time I checked, wind blows west to east.
the midwest and east coast would be messed up pretty bad..

B: if you don't have a clue about (a) then don't try and sell us (b).. cause you don't have a clue.

this thread it self is pretty laughable..
hey guess what, Yellow stone has quakes all the freaking time!
maybe people should get a clue before posting all of this kind of non-sense.

so to answer the "What's going on at yellowstone", my answer is this:

Nature.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   
MAP 5.0 2008/12/29 06:18:23 32.285 105.219 10.0 SICHUAN-GANSU BORDER REGION, CHINA
MAP 2.5 2008/12/29 05:30:05 44.507 -110.371 0.8 YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK, WYOMING
MAP 3.1 2008/12/29 05:11:44 54.190 -165.476 98.2 FOX ISLANDS, ALEUTIAN ISLANDS, ALASKA
MAP 2.9 2008/12/29 04:25:54 44.504 -110.364 0.6 YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK, WYOMING

2.5 2008/12/28 22:30:04 44.507N 110.371W 0.8 61 km (38 mi) ESE of West Yellowstone, MT
2.2 2008/12/28 22:23:37 44.511N 110.369W 1.2 61 km (38 mi) ESE of West Yellowstone, MT

why is one 1 second off and the other 2 min and 17 seconds off?

and poor China Sichuan province is have some more big ones heh?

this better not be dueling haarp games.

--

oh wait -sorry - they only show 2.5 or above so it's referring to

1.9 2008/12/28 21:29:18 44.522N 110.385W 1.0 59 km (37 mi) ESE of West Yellowstone, MT
2.9 2008/12/28 21:25:54 44.504N 110.364W 0.6 61 km (38 mi) ESE of West Yellowstone, MT

this GMT and MT is getting me all confuddled - my apologies...

[edit on 12/29/2008 by trusername]

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
reply to post by spinkyboo

spinkyboo, I appreciate your intent, but really....IF the major eruption that may occur at the 'Yellowstone' location should happen, there is really nothing that modern society could do to prepare.

There would be massive starvation, not just in North America, but around the World as the dust and pumice clouds were carried by the upper winds

This devastation would likely last for generations....not just a year or two....generations. A massive volcanic event WILL affect the entire planet, for years and years. AND, there will be a 'domino effect', as eco-systems fail, one after the other.

Point is: We are powerless, even with all of our technology, to prevent a major volcanic eruption. IF it is large enough, it will be catastrophic. It might not wipe out all life, but will likely devastate most species....including us.

I agree, we are powerless in preventing a major volcanic erruption as well as many other major natural disasters.

But we are not powerless in making a conscious effort to watch and research and attempt to foresee what survival tactics we might be able to imploy under certain circumstances.

We don't know the extent to which any disaster will affect us. With sentences like - we can't do anything about it - who would even try? People have saved themselves and others in all sorts of seemingly impossible situations.

My point - Defeat - is not a good start.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by pynner
the west is protected by these little hills called the "rockies". infact, the west coast would be one of the last places effected by fallout.
last time I checked, wind blows west to east.
the midwest and east coast would be messed up pretty bad..

True enough, but the Rockies aren't going to stop everything, especially not when you consider a large eruption will throw material up higher than Concorde flew easily, above most systems of air movement. At that altitude you'll probably need to take the rotation of the Earth into account when working the trajectory of ash out.

this thread it self is pretty laughable..
hey guess what, Yellow stone has quakes all the freaking time!
maybe people should get a clue before posting all of this kind of non-sense.

so to answer the "What's going on at yellowstone", my answer is this:

Nature.

Truer words are rarely said about this topic. Even if there is a swarm, this is still a rather small one. If there were hundreds of those magnitude 3's and higher, then maybe cause for worry. So far, this is small. Look at the Lake seismograph. Pretty chaotic, but look at the Old Faithful one for the same time. Most events are small enough to barely register less than 25 or so miles away(don't remember exact distances). And if you look at the one in Idaho, Moose Creek, you can see almost none of them. They are small so far, and most visible activity on the lake graph is events taking a while to settle after each one.

However, there may be something up here, but we can't really tell yet. I personally would expect bad activity to be larger than this. However if there is uplift there as well, then this might be... interesting... to watch. I think this is the closest GPS station to the lake for uplift.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I don't want to get anyone too alarmed but my research into how predictions are made concerning volcanic erruptions brought me to this page:

www.guardian.co.uk...

I suggest reading it and then size up the situation according to what the experts still rely on.

Quote: "There are lots of different methods of monitoring volcanos now but the two ways that unequivocally tell us that a volcano's getting ready for eruption are still the old ones - earthquake activity and ground deformation"

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by John Matrix
I don't want to get anyone too alarmed but my research into how predictions are made concerning volcanic erruptions brought me to this page:

www.guardian.co.uk...

I suggest reading it and then size up the situation according to what the experts still rely on.

Quote: "There are lots of different methods of monitoring volcanos now but the two ways that unequivocally tell us that a volcano's getting ready for eruption are still the old ones - earthquake activity and ground deformation"

This is true John.. BUT

YS has a history of EQ's and deformation.. yellow stone is like a big bubble underground.. it grows, it shrinks, it shakes.
there's nothing of the ordinary for YS just yet.

[edit on 29-12-2008 by pynner]

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Shirakawa

I'm confused about that page now, too. There's apparantly been more earthquakes, but none of them are listed for today. Could there possibly have been some yesterday that they didn't know about until now?

edit - It just happened again. While I was typing this, 2 more quakes were added, but none listed for today.

[edit on 12/29/2008 by Curious_Agnostic]

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join