It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats going on at yellowstone?

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Well its obvious that the magma broke thru another barrier. Im not an expert but Id say we watch and see if the quakes stop and also if there is any rise in temp around the caldera and other places. The only reason Im watching this so closely is because its under the caldera. It would be interesting to see the location of the swarm and depth of the 1985 incident. I might look into that later.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I need coffee. We just had another quake while I was making my last post.

[edit on 29-12-2008 by Memysabu]

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Hmm... it went up from 36 to 37 earthquakes now... But the last recent one is still listed as the last one. Are they just adding some old ones now from yesterday?

www.seis.utah.edu...

^Link to site.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   
It almost seems as if there's a cycle, like somebody mentioned before. It's picking up now, which is about the same time it did yesterday and the day before.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Memysabu

Dark Blue is the 1985 swarm. But, as I said earlier in the thread, these are on the edge of the caldera - not in it like the current swarm. Also, they span a larger radius

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   
well... I rounded up from 2.7

at least that's what google told me...
but sure, those are 0.3miles... might make a difference; I only wanted to give a rough overview

link   

Originally posted by toast317
Hmm... it went up from 36 to 37 earthquakes now... But the last recent one is still listed as the last one. Are they just adding some old ones now from yesterday?

www.seis.utah.edu...

^Link to site.

Probably. The quakes are recorded by remote sensors and sometimes it take a human reviewing it to make sure that the info is correct. It is not strange for more to be added or magnitudes/depths to be corrected

link   

Originally posted by Memysabu
Im not doing the math I thought it was in 24 hour increments now it looks more like 36 hours.

I understand your logic, you're talking on a 24 hour basis, while I'm talking on a day-by-day basis. In my point of view the number of earthquakes per day is decreasing compared to the last two days.

So what are you trying to say? That the magma is rising?!

I'm not an earthquake expert, I'm just guessing by logic, but yes, I'd say that some magma is trying to rise (this doesn't mean there's going to be an eruption soon).

Originally posted by pynner
4.3 kms doesn't equal 3 miles.. not even close.
1.77km in 1mile

Actually 1 mi = 1.609 Km, so 4.3 Km = 4.3/1.609 = 2.67 mi

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Just curious...not sure if it was mentioned already..after reading from page 1-18 on this I can't remember really heh. But how many are usually in the swarms?

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by redhatty
reply to post by Memysabu

Dark Blue is the 1985 swarm. But, as I said earlier in the thread, these are on the edge of the caldera - not in it like the current swarm. Also, they span a larger radius

Yeh and none have been below the caldera. To me that looks like when a volcano has a side blow out. Some volcanos erupt knocking a side off. So possibly magma broke thru the side in that location causing those swarms as it works its way around over the decades. Not sure Id be to concerned during those unless the ground temp raised greatly.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Just curious...not sure if it was mentioned already..after reading from page 1-18 on this I can't remember really heh. But how many are usually in the swarms?

Well, I can't give a link, but I seem to remember seeing them with 100 or so, with smaller sizes though. There was one last month apparently with 77

This event was part of a swarm of 77 events, Nov. 23 -29, with magnitudes -0.3 - 2.7. Two smaller swarms were also recored in November. One located about 9 miles northeast of West Yellowstone, MT. The swarm included 17 events, Nov. 7 - 12, with magnitudes 0.0 - 1.4. The second was located about 17 miles east northeast of West Yellowstone, MT. The swarm included 21 events, Nov. 24 - 25, with magnitudes -0.1 - 1.6.

From the YVO status page. But that still is described as low background levels.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by toast317

A swarm can be anywhere from 8 to 1000 eq's. (per friends in the field)

The significance of this activity folks, is where its located. (also per friends in the field)

At the very spot of uplift the USGS has been watching rise for the past few years.

And for those that keep saying the swarms have been in the park before.. yes they sure have.... But not in the spot there are now, directly under the lake and the uplift.

That is the main reason this one is interesting. Not the amount of quakes, but the location.

The person who said that 2 days is not a large amount of time in geology sense is correct as well... it could be weeks before we see the real effects of these quakes.. or it could be minutes, its hard to tell.

[edit on 29-12-2008 by TwiTcHomatic]

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by TwiTcHomatic
reply to post by toast317

And for those that keep saying the swarms have been there before.. yes they sure have.... But not in the spot there are now, directly under the lake and teh uplift.

Yep you are right in the middle of this ... and the quakes also.
I keep a eye on this page :www.seis.utah.edu...

I see a lot more big fat "stripes" and take a look at the history.
I think there is a lot more activity than they show on the map.

And if we take another look at things. Huge nature damage come when the world look to something else this time like paki,israel,iran,etc.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the finance crisis type of thing.

[edit on 29-12-2008 by coolvibe]

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shirakawa

Originally posted by Memysabu
Im not doing the math I thought it was in 24 hour increments now it looks more like 36 hours.

I understand your logic, you're talking on a 24 hour basis, while I'm talking on a day-by-day basis. In my point of view the number of earthquakes per day is decreasing compared to the last two days.

So what are you trying to say? That the magma is rising?!

I'm not an earthquake expert, I'm just guessing by logic, but yes, I'd say that some magma is trying to rise (this doesn't mean there's going to be an eruption soon).

Originally posted by pynner
4.3 kms doesn't equal 3 miles.. not even close.
1.77km in 1mile

Actually 1 mi = 1.609 Km, so 4.3 Km = 4.3/1.609 = 2.67 mi

yeah, not sure what I was thinking.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by huntergatherer

Yellowstone was the site of one of the largest volcanic eruptions in Earth's history. Scientists say this suppermassive volcano WILL rear its ugly head one day.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Yep you are right in the middle of this ... and the quakes also.
I keep a eye on this page :www.seis.utah.edu...

I see a lot more big fat "stripes" and take a look at the history.
I think there is a lot more activity than they show on the map.

And if we take another look at things. Huge nature damage come when the world look to something else this time like paki,israel,iran,etc.

Very true. Weird how that works, they tend to strike right when we have our backs turned.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Logic616
reply to post by huntergatherer

Yellowstone was the site of one of the largest volcanic eruptions in Earth's history. Scientists say this suppermassive volcano WILL rear its ugly head one day.

Yes, and?

it's a cycle... chances are, none of us will see the "big eruption".

I honestly think there are other places to worry about in North America.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Another one just appeared on the list, it looks like now they're being manually added:

2.5 2008/12/29 13:38:04 44.510N 110.379W 1.0 60 km (37 mi) ESE of West Yellowstone, MT

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Considering the damage it will do when it erupts, I prefer caution and vigilence. If the magnitude increases or the swarm increases we should be ready for any type of situation. Speaking of survival of course. Im not picking up the phone and calling my entire family yet.

I dont think at this point theres any doom and gloom just a heads up. Im glad I ran into this thread because it rather excites me in a scientific way. Ive never gotten to experience an EQ just tornados. All my life Ive been in and around tornados. Someday I hope to experience an EQ.

I dont think theres much to a hurricane to experience, so I dont really care to see one of those. Although I have left after one hit. I was about 7 years old though.

[edit on 29-12-2008 by Memysabu]

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Seismo looks like another decent mag one just occurred

See Seismo chart

new topics

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join