It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats going on at yellowstone?

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Under the circumstances, I think the best we can do is watch the geologists very carefully, and when you see them all running, screaming, "We're all gonna die," that just may be enough warning to bend over deeply and kiss your @$$ goodbye.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Yellowstone has blown it's top three times in the last 2.1 million years.

Source

The three supereruptions occurred 2.1 million, 1.3 million and 640,000 years ago; forming the Island Park Caldera, the Henry's Fork Caldera, and Yellowstone calderas, respectively

From 2.1 million years ago to 1.3 million years ago there are 800,000 years.
From 1.3 million years ago to 640,000 years ago there are 660,000 years.

Since we've only got three data points it's tough to make any judgments but the data seems to suggests that an eruption could occur at any time.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

You want me to bring BOB, my Battery Operated Boyfriend? Is it really going to be that bad? hehehe

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 12:39 AM
link   
It looks as if another earthquake just occurred according to the seismograph, but I can't get this page to load anymore:
www.seis.utah.edu...

Is it getting too much traffic right now? Anybody else having this problem?

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Curious_Agnostic

came up okay for me, maybe clearing your cache???

Data on latest:
2.5 2008/12/28 22:30:04 44.507N 110.371W 0.8 61 km (38 mi) ESE of West Yellowstone, MT

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Curious_Agnostic

Page is still loading fine for me.

I do see what you are talking about on the seismograph as well.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Yeah I've been having the problem too. Hey has anyone looked up any recent geyser activity? I have been trying too but all I could find is some graphs about a month old. According to the geysers I looked at the time between eruptions was getting longer, maybe this is some stress release?
Link: www.geyserstudy.org...

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 12:47 AM
link   
The interesting part of this swarm location is exactly where it is manifesting.

As seen here..
volcanoes.usgs.gov...

The part that caught my eye,

"Using GPS and another satellite-based technique (InSAR), the authors find that parts of the Yellowstone Caldera rose as much as 7 cm (~3") per year during the period 2004-2006. The uplift is most noticeable at the White Lake GPS station, as has been discussed in our monthly YVO updates during the past year. As of late October 2007, the total uplift since 2004 at that location is about 17 cm. Chang and his colleagues credit the relatively rapid rise to recharge of magma into the giant magma chamber that underlies the Yellowstone Caldera."

So this swarm is happening at the very part that the uplift is at its highest, very near the aforementioned White Lake GPS station.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by redhatty

Got it to work in another browser.

I guess that was actually the last quake. We're still at 23 for the week.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Whoa daddy

Last time I looked at the map there was only one tremor in the lake now it has increased to 22+.

Uh oh. THe caldera has been bulging but the geologists are not worried! Geoliogists just think it is part of a cycle.

I've got my eyes and rss feed on this one

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Well, maybe this will help me get to sleep:

www.nps.gov...

Q: When will the volcano erupt again? Will there be any warning? How much warning will there be?

A: The science of forecasting a volcanic eruption has significantly advanced over the past 25 years. Most scientists think that the buildup preceding a catastrophic eruption would be detectable for weeks and perhaps months to years. Precursors to volcanic eruptions include strong earthquake swarms and rapid ground deformation and typically take place days to weeks before an actual eruption. Scientists at the YVO closely monitor the Yellowstone region for such precursors. They expect that the buildup to larger eruptions would include intense precursory activity (far exceeding background levels) at multiple spots within the Yellowstone volcano. As at many caldera systems around the world, small earthquakes, ground uplift and subsidence, and gas releases at Yellowstone are commonplace events and do not reflect impending eruptions.

Q: Is the volcano dormant or extinct or still active?

A: The Yellowstone Volcano is still active. Evidence for the activity of the Yellowstone Volcano are the 1,000 to 3,000 earthquakes per year, active ground deformation, and the over 10,000 thermal features found in Yellowstone.

Q: What is Yellowstone doing to prevent an eruption?

A: Nothing can be done to prevent an eruption. The temperatures, pressures, physical characteristics of partially molten rock, and the immensity of the magma chamber are beyond man's ability to influence--much less control.

Q: How will the park get the word out if there is an eruption?

A: The park would communicate accurate and timely information to park visitors, park employees, concessioners, surrounding communities, media outlets, and other interested parties through the park's 24-hour Communications Center; news releases; established emergency response programs; and through notification of appropriate interagency, state and local government agencies.

Q: Where would it be safe to be during an eruption?

A: For the most likely type of volcanic eruption in Yellowstone, everywhere would be safe except in the immediate vicinity of the advancing lava flow. In the highly improbable event of a large catastrophic eruption, the greater the distance from the eruptive center, the safer it would be. It is impossible to know the effects of the eruption without guessing at the explosivity of the highly unlikely eruption and the total amount of the material erupted.

Q: Would the public know about a possible eruption?

A: Yes. Scientists continuously monitor volcano activity in Yellowstone and share that information through news releases, web sites, etc. Current real-time-monitoring data are online at volcanoes.usgs.gov...

Q: If Old Faithful quits erupting, is that a sign the volcano is about to erupt?

A: Geysers are natural phenomena and as such, their behavior is unpredictable and subject to unexpected changes. Old Faithful is unique in that its eruptions have been frequent and relatively consistent during the last century or so of observations. We expect Old Faithful to change in response to the ongoing geologic processes associated with mineral deposition and earthquakes. Thus, a change in Old Faithful Geyser's eruptions will not necessarily indicate a change in volcanic activity.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Relax!!!

The Mayan calendar was quite specific....World won't end until 2012...

Unless, they forgot about all of the Leap Years....uh, oh!!!!

Everybody run to Antarctica!!!!!

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 01:23 AM
link   
12-21-2012 to be more exact XD....

who knows? Maybe that's when the clouds of dust and debris will reach the entire world!!!

So any more earthquakes? Or did the earthquakes finally decide to sleep tonight? Because their keeping me up! it's 2:22 right now.

Haha what do you know... all 2's!

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by myrddinzos
i believe 2010 it will blow becaus thats when vancouvers gonna sink, i have many friends who have dreamt about van sinking during a riot, and they are rioting the olympics in 2010, so it would only make sense that all those would tie together, it also matches the 11:11 prophecys and my tarot prophecys.

What's this supposed to mean? Your friends plan on rioting at the Olympics? Or you've heard that others will riot? How does a riot in Vancouver have anything to do with a volcano erupting, tarot readings and silly 11:11 prophecies? Excuse my ignorance for not seeing how this all ties in.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Can anyone find out if Yellowstone Lake has risen more than normal in the last few weeks, or even days? A rise in the lake level would seem to be an immediate sign the bubble is about to burst wouldn't it?

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by violet

Originally posted by myrddinzos
i believe 2010 it will blow becaus thats when vancouvers gonna sink, i have many friends who have dreamt about van sinking during a riot, and they are rioting the olympics in 2010, so it would only make sense that all those would tie together, it also matches the 11:11 prophecys and my tarot prophecys.

What's this supposed to mean? Your friends plan on rioting at the Olympics? Or you've heard that others will riot? How does a riot in Vancouver have anything to do with a volcano erupting, tarot readings and silly 11:11 prophecies? Excuse my ignorance for not seeing how this all ties in.

Google the word Nibiru and see what you make of the 2012 prophecies. Lots of videos exist on Youtube about it. I have no opinion one way or the other until I see it with my eyes.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Good to have someone mention the Yellowstone recent seismic activity. I was on the USGS website a little while ago and I found it odd to see so much activity in so little time around the park. I instantly remembered it sitting on a huge caldera. But maybe it's nothing to worry about.

The region around Puerto Rico has been having A LOT of activity in the past couple of months but nothing major seems to come out of it.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 01:57 AM
link   
reply to post by John Matrix

Or temperature of the lake rising.
Not that Yellowstone will erupt.
I called it on that foolish post about the Webbots prediction of a massive Earth quake, and I'm calling it on this now.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 02:03 AM
link   
hmm.. while this is quite unusual..

I started to compare it to california... and although california gets about 10 earthquakes a day... its not as concentrated in one place as these earthquakes in utah are.

Weird, eh?

Great way to start the new year!

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Dewm0nster

Calling what?

We are talking about an event that is currently ongoing.

This is not a thread about predicting.. we are discussing what is going on at this moment.

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join