It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats going on at yellowstone?

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Knobee

Oh yeah well, I guess you don't know about the secret conecting fault line connecting the two. hmmm.

PS. I like the 3 letter abrevation of states, why in the hell did that change?

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 10:42 PM
link   
2 more just happened minutes apart:

A micro earthquake occurred at 9:25:54 PM (MST) on Sunday, December 28, 2008.
The magnitude 2.9 event occurred 61 km (38 miles) ESE of West Yellowstone, MT.
The hypocentral depth is 1 km (0.4 miles).

A micro earthquake occurred at 9:29:18 PM (MST) on Sunday, December 28, 2008.
The magnitude 1.9 event occurred 59 km (37 miles) ESE of West Yellowstone, MT.
The hypocentral depth is 1 km ( 1 mile).

www.seis.utah.edu...

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Looks like Yellowstone isn't the only activity happening in the world's volcanoes

Fears of explosive volcano eruption closes Kamchatka Airport
By Simon Hradecky, created Sunday, Dec 28th 2008 18:33Z, last updated Sunday, Dec 28th 2008 18:33Z

Predictions, that the Koryak Volcano located about 13nm north-north-east of Petropavlosvk-Kamchatsky Airport (Russia) on the Kamchatka peninsula might burst into an explosive eruption, have closed the Petropavlosvk-Kamchatsky Airport.

The Volcano has increased its eruptions in the recent days. Now collapses at the north-western slope of the 3456 meter high volcano at a height of about 3100 meters triggered fears, the volcano might burst into an explosive eruption. The volcano's last significant eruption was estimated about 3500 year ago, the last minor eruption was in 1957.

Source

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Curious_Agnostic

www.quake.utah.edu...

Yup, and there's what they looked like on the lake yellowstone webicorder, respectively.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by redhatty

Hold on wait a second, is the volcano in Russia a super volcano or just a regular volcano?

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
Just another at 3.2.

The average magnitude is markedly higher, across 16 quakes now in the last 29 hours. With an AVERAGE magnitude of over 3, something's not feeling right here. That's a bit high for a swarm AVERAGE, and in such a concentrated spot, and at such a similar depth. Hmm. Yup, I am finally gonna flag this thread.

Head north east to Canada. Keep in touch. Have a safe trip!

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 10:58 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Ok if the warning systems in place point to a high probability of an eruption do you think the govt would put out a Press release? It would cause so much panic and chaos im not sure they would bother.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rocketgirl
reply to post by redhatty

Hold on wait a second, is the volcano in Russia a super volcano or just a regular volcano?

Volcano Type: Stratovolcano
Source

The last eruption at Koryak was in 1956-57 that produced pyroclastic flows and lahars, a VEI of ~3 event. Beyond that, there isn’t too much known about the volcano’s past activity.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by redhatty

Volcano Type: Stratovolcano
Source

The last eruption at Koryak was in 1956-57 that produced pyroclastic flows and lahars, a VEI of ~3 event. Beyond that, there isn’t too much known about the volcano’s past activity.

Thank you

Someone should have been monitoring that volcano before the 50s. At least we would have had more insight of what is going on.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Man, at first I thought that this was just another swarm, only more powerful but only by a little... but now there are even MORE?!

I'm really starting to think the worse. Ever since the false readings saying that the new madrid fault line was going to split I have been very skeptic of these kinds of things.

but now... I don't know

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 11:10 PM
link   
I noticed that the depth of the Yellowstone quakes are for the most part shallow compared to the other ones happening in the world. Other Quakes here I'm curious why that is. Is it because it is located on a volcano?

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Ok I am prepared for the ridicule, but I have to say this..wouldn't this fit in with the web-bot prediction...vomiting losses, noise heard around the world, etc... I am sure some of you have read about it!

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 11:14 PM
link   
2 more in the last hour - all right on top of each other - but this one moving a tiny tiny bit north

www.seis.utah.edu...

and look at the chart

www.quake.utah.edu...

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 11:19 PM
link   
I found a site where you can get historical data about earthquakes.

neic.usgs.gov...

You have to enter longitude & latitude as well as provide a radius for the circle you want to look at. I used 44 & -110 with a 100 km radius. The site says to enter negative numbers for South & West. It ignores N,S,E,W.

I found a swarm where several large earthquakes happened on the same day. Maybe swarms of this kind aren't such a big deal.

I cut and pasted the image together for clarity. The swarm was quite a ways into the data.

Edited to change the image. The first one was too wide.

[edit on 28-12-2008 by LazyGuy]

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by huntergatherer

www.seis.utah.edu...

this shows that there has been 21 Earth quakes at yellow stone today, and 6 of them are on a magnitude of warning
lets hope she dont blow, i need to pass my driving test lol

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Blens_productions

Some of those occured during the past week. The seismograph keeps getting freakier, though. I might not go to bed until it calms down.

Edit - Looking back again, I see most of them happened today and yesterday, and one happened several days before yesterday.

[edit on 12/28/2008 by Curious_Agnostic]

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 11:33 PM
link   
QUAKE SWARM AT YELLOWSTONE...

www.drudgereport.com...

they posted this link:

www.seis.utah.edu...

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by sad_eyed_lady

Too bad Drudge Report didn't provide more information. I think most of us have already seen that map. I guess it's good that Drudge is making it known to the general public. Hopefully, they'll try to follow it up.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by LazyGuy

You bring hope! Thanks for that digging.

But in all fairness, your example from 2004 had an 8 swarm, but a higher magnitude average. This one is a longer lasting 21 swarm so far, so that's 3 times the quantity of the 2004 swarm. And counting?

Some micro quakes occurring in greater Los Angeles, too.

Also, I am reading elsewhere that if those depths start showing around 3-5 km, that could be real bad news cause one could split the rock holding that crap in.
... Not sure on that one...lol, not sure on any of this, and neither is anyone else. Gotta ride out the storm.

Also, a new 2.5 just hit, so that's 22!

[edit on 28-12-2008 by TrueAmerican]

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join