It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats going on at yellowstone?

page: 125
<< 122  123  124    126  127  128 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Just for a current comparison,

Mount St Helens crater webicorder

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Yes, the Firefox add-on does shake your monitor! It just did. Thanks for all the diligence here everyone. Says it was a 3.0. Great add-on. Yikes.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by sad_eyed_lady

Please fix your links, they don't work.
The quote talks about raising magma though!

So now it's official?

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I took the liberty of putting together a little graph. These are all the quakes listed on the USGS site, except for that 3.0 that just came in (jesus this is crazy)

What troubles me is that it looks like we haven't peaked yet If you look at the blue line, you can clearly see that we are gradually setting "higher lows"

I know it's entirely possible that it could go cold and stop...but in nature, usually a trend like this suggests escalation.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Love, Love, Love the Firefox add on!

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Shirakawa

youtube link edited
www.worldwidewaterplan.com (cut and paste)

[edit on 1/2/2009 by sad_eyed_lady]

[edit on 1/2/2009 by sad_eyed_lady]

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by SevenandFive
reply to post by Shirakawa

I thought maybe it was just my connection.

Thank you for the information!!

Hopefully they'll reboot their server or something.

It's back up!

REBoOOOooot! Thanks guys if you are watching us!

Good GRIEF it's intense now. Wonder what this all means in the big picture?

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
for that Yellowstone Warning

Update time = Thu Jan 1 19:31:44 UTC 2009

Posted by geologist Christopher C. Sanders on January 1, 2009.

"I am advising all State officials around Yellowstone National Park for a potential State of Emergency. In the last week over 300 earthquakes have been observed by the USGS. We have a 3D view on the movement of magma rising underground. We have all of the pre warning signs of a major eruption from a super volcano. - I want everyone to leave Yellowstone National Park and for 200 miles around the volcano caldera."

Source

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Amaxium

Hi Amaxium and good to see you! (Love your avatar!!) The quake swarm is heading north but whether it's NNE or perhaps NNW it's hard to say. Seems to be a bit of a spread. The USGS Recent Status Report (from yesterday) confirms the northerly trend.

I follow what you're saying about possible magmatic movement, because although not registering as quakes all the time, this activity is ongoing and seems to correlate to periodic increases in discharge of water from the lake, suggesting that dome-building may be going on there. But, at the same time (as you suggest), helicorders further afield from the lake to the north are showing an increase in "harmonic" type traces and that makes it look like something is going that way. Certainly some of the NE helicorders would support that idea. The one that concerns me the most is YML, which has been producing a "Jackson Pollock" sort of trace for the past sixteen hours plus, and was also producing similar traces even back on Dec 29, when others round it were nowhere near as active.

It looks like things are spreading out over a wider area, to be honest.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by beefytee

In the event of an eruption, would jet streams be a good indicator of where the plume of smoke and ash will travel? Anyone know what the jet steam looks like over Yellowstone? Where will this cloud be carried? Directly west, towards Michigan and New England coast? North into canada? South towards the carolinas?

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by ChrisCrikey

Thanks so much for all this. I'm a lurker and have been looking everywhere for more info and monitoring the seismographic data. That said, how do you get the Foxfire addon? I downloaded Gee and I can get it to do a thing....it's stuck on one earthquake site and that's it. TIA

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Sorry if this has been posted between pages 95-105 already but here is a youtube video titled "New Hot Spring at Mammoth 1-1-09" and in the 21 second clip it shows a hot spring melting snow marked by orange pylons... Just thought I'd send this out. video

I can't vouch for it's authenticity that it is indeed new, but it is right along a road that looks like it's still being used.

[edit on 2-1-2009 by beaverg]

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
So we have an unofficial warning from a geologist that isn't afraid to say what we have all been thinking.

I am really appreciative of all the work the people here have done - it is so hard for me to believe this could really happen. I have been so focused on the financial issues we face, that this seems almost sureal.

I do have a question that I saw asked earlier, but not really answered - does anyone know where there is a chart or other tool that converts between microns and magnitude for earthquakes?

It would be great to be able to translate what I see on GEE.

Thanks!

link   
The tech boys at quake.utah.edu will have their hands full too:

Site meter

Doubt its all ATS traffic

link   

link   
Shirakawa,
Was it you who posted the 3D graph of the events in red dot and the animated one
with North at the left of screen?
If so , do you have updates on that?

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by iamcamouflage

Here is a link that shows the jet stream with a couple days forward projection.

www.weatherimages.org...

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   
There's no way I can read this thread,it's rather large.

Can someone give me a rundown,are we all gonna die or not?

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   
External Link - University of Michigan - Education Site for the budding seismologists

The above link will explain the difference between P-waves, S-waves, Harmonics, and other Earthquake related subject, as well as "How to read a seismograph".

The site is primarily about earthquakes, so don't expect a thesis on volcanism or the mechanics of magmatic earthquakes.

Generally, however, one will find the information useful on "how-to" read a seismograph as it pertains to this discussion.

KUDOs to the OP, and the many contributors.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by TXTriker

Thank you to both of you.

<< 122  123  124    126  127  128 >>

join