It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ban on tobacco displays announced

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Poet Of Deception

Originally posted by Solomons
Smoking in the uk has only went down 6% or so in 10 years i heard...there was a bigger fall in the 70's without all this crap.

Im pretty shure it has fallen since they discovered it could cause cancer and other life threatening diseases. But people used to smoke them for fun back in the 1960's +

news.bbc.co.uk...

As you can see in the first graph it feel by quite a bit from 1974 to 1982,then look at 1998 to 2005..shows the barrage of anti smoking campaigns and adverts doesnt really work. It does nothing but waste money and treats people like they are idiots and cant make decisions themselves without big brother government telling them.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 06:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Poet Of Deception

"people smoked em for fun"

I am not sure whether I smoke for "fun", but I do enjoy a good cigarette now and again - it gets me away from my desk in the day and I have met some hotties on the smoking balcony over the years

South Africa is also spending a lot of money on this whole smoking witch hunt while ignoring the horrendous crime rate. Their priorities stink.

I want to try the e-cigarette soon ... I will still get my nicotine fix.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 06:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

I'm certainly inclined to agree with you there. While I'm not a fan of watching MSM TV in general, when I have switched the thing on, TV adverts have increased a lot over the last few years. Noteably NHS advert depicting cigarettes in a 'building tower' like form showing the smoker stranded at the top and unable to get down. If that's not victimising or indirect segregation, then I'm clearly not getting the point.

BUT...

As a light smoker myself (and by light I mean, I do not wake up craving a cigarette, I smoke mainly at home from my back door, and usually with alcohol) the ban in bars and clubs doesn't tend to bother me because I can do without it, and likewise with restaurants. Socially I'd say this campaign is definitely working in some way with the masses of sheeple (non-smokers), because I was once heckled at for smoking outside in a bar that fronts a canal in mid summer-time (during the afternoon) by a woman who literally quoted that advert to me!

She finished by saying, ''I have a choice and it's my RIGHT to breathe fresh air without a smoke poluting it!''

...well, it wasn't without a level of decorum that I kindly reminded her, that it is also MY choice to smoke in an allocated area, and that she had a choice to drink AWAY from the allocated area.

This is the mentality, I think, that these campaigns are directed at because they know that anti-smokers will not only condone all of the non-smoking rigour that comes these days, but also gives them fuel to protest against people who respect the rules of non-smoking areas and have their cigarette in an allocated area. It disgusted me that she had the cheek in the first instance, but it was soon followed by pitty for her.

The campaigning, in my opinion doesn't really stop the smoker itself, it's the rallying of anti-smokers that it encourages. Just a point of view.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 06:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by deltaalphanovember

I want to try the e-cigarette soon ... I will still get my nicotine fix.

yah i'm on .that isht.. aiming for it at least.

I mean it really comes down to what you or the last poster said..
just a ritual "break" to divide your day up into sections and "fixes" .. if you can focus and work.. productively and happily.. and have these little "endorphin" or whatever updates... you know..stretch your legs .. .breathe heavily.. in between monotonous work.. it makes the work-day all that more easier to progress through...
especially if you're the type that has a lot going on upstairs...

you need a break from the constant barrage of computer data.. and a little break that allows for getting some form of stimulating re-invigoration...

if that was something that DIDN'T kill you in the long run.. then all the more efficient...

marketing majors.. pay attention!

-

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 06:33 AM
link   
In Houston, TX in the US you can't smoke anywhere in the city or inside due to city ordinance.

2 line post.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 06:39 AM
link   
In Oz, vendors won't be able to display cigarette packs at all above counter level. Next year, I think the law is coming in.

I noticed from the OPs original post, that you can buy packs of 10.
That would be really good for those who can't quit but want to cut down.

The smallest pack we have here is packs of 20.
Just a way to get more tax from smokers if you ask me.

We also had tar and nicotine mgs wiped off our cigarette packets.

So now, you don't know if you are smoking 1mg or 18 mg of tar in your cigarettes.
TPTB thought, in their wisdom, that there wasn't a safe level and so banned it being advertised on the pack as it was, in their view, misleading.
The reasoning being that 1mg is just as dangerous 18mg of tar per cigarette.

I think that is a load of rubbish and often used to feel quite ill and got headaches when I get a smoke of someone else who's MGs were higher than the 4mgs that I was used to.

So, it seems it's not just the U.K that all this going on in.
We've had a lot of regulation here too.

[edit on 9-12-2008 by Flighty]

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 11:30 AM
link   
to be honest i think a full ban on tobacco would solve the problem of the majority of people smoking, but it would cause problems within crime and illegal smuggling from other countries.

People smoke on their own decision, no one pushes them into it... They face the side effects which come with it on their own!

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Poet Of Deception

Originally posted by AccessDenied
We no longer have it displayed here in Canada, and I see no problem with it.
People who smoke can still go up to the counter and buy it.
I can't remember the last time I saw a vending machine here..perhaps 20 years ago.

Good to know it has happened over there. Did they make as much fuss over it as they have here in the UK?

For a little while, but when everyone realized it wasn't going to impact them actually buying smokes..yet..it wasn't a problem.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Do you think they will ban them completely at some point? I personally don't think they should due to what could happen to the economy and social side.

I don't condoll smoking in anyway but if people want to, it is completely up to them!

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 01:42 PM
link   
If they do ban tobacco then it should be alcohol next since that kills roughly the same amount of people every year...

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by runetang
LMAO.

The U.K. is a riot. (When it comes to "Big Brother" laws, ie; whats good for you)

France is no better, you aren't aloud to smoke tobacco inside clubs and bars?

In the U.S.A., we are aloud to look at tobacco displays and advertisements because we are trusted enough to make our own decisions. We are also aloud to smoke tobacco inside clubs and bars, as long as we are Eighteen years of age or older.

I apologize for finding this funny.

Uh, not so much buddy. I live in Illinois and just this year they banned smoking in ANY public building. JUST LIKE what had happened in the UK and France before, JUST LIKE what is going to happen to your state soon I'm sure. I hate this anti-smoking garbage. Why can't people look at tobacco displays?! Because it's bad for you and poisonous? So is the air we breathe, so are sodas and their HFCs, so are Big Macs, Whoppers, and Twinkies. Some people gorge on food and never have a cig. Fine. But I guess if you want to eat healthy and smoke you're crazy. Point being whether were poisoning ourselves with fructose, nicotine, caffeine, alcohol, or what-have-you, can't they just let us be free to chose our favorites? I understand some people hate smelling smoke, and that's totally understandable, but when I say I hate looking at fat people and that they are sick and disgusting, people take offence. It's all BS, I guess I'm just venting.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 11:41 PM
link   
the smoking here in Alaska is out of hand when it comes to high schoolers. Sometimes i think they do it just to go home early, 'specially pot since they feel real sh*tty once the effects wear off, i believe advertising plays a part because of the cool pictures and stuff that portray popular outfits and the coolest dudes ever that us teens like to try and be. I for one am grateful for the smoking bans beginning to appear, hopefully it won't be long till it's banned altogether regardless if you "enjoy a smoke every once and a while" its still puts all kinds of crap into your system. Sure I'm kind of a goody two shoes when it comes to doing things I shouldn't and I truly have no idea what it's like to get high off pot or be "relaxed" by a cigarette but still, WTF is the point?!?!? It may look cool, and it may give you a good feeling for a little bit but then you either feel like crap or get pissed because you need another cigarette at an inconvenient time. This is coming from a highschooler so my opinions may be.. whatever you want to call them.

Here's my simplified opinion: each cigarette is another nail in your coffin.

They should next tackle the alcohol scene, alcohol has also done nothing for us and just makes us stupider as it degrades brain function over time no matter how much you consume just as long as you consume it. It's like stupid juice, and cigarettes are our stupid candy, and TV is our stupid box. So technically we (stereotypically) live VERY stupid lives. Then there are those precious few people who don't do that stuff but that is another story

[edit on 12/9/08 by MoothyKnight]

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Well, the UK is taking out Ads for cigarettes and potentially taking out vending machines (cause you know it is coming soon).

However, here in the US, they are leaving the Ads up and taking away the places in which you can smoke.
In MS, city by city, they are voting out smoking in public establishments. More and more bars and restaurants are volunteering to ban smoking, as well.
In Arkansas, they have defined rules where one can smoke in many cities.
I think California only lets you smoke in your own home as long as you have a basement at least 20 feet underground with triple filters on your ventilation and do not have children, nieces, nephews or know anyone who has a child. Ok, so that is a bit over the top. The basement doesnt have to be 20 feet underground.

I know there are more and more cities, counties and states in the US either jacking the prices into the stratosphere or banning them all together.

As for the UK, it is a bit hypocritical of them to allow legal drinking at age 5 but think that smoking teenagers are a greater threat. I guess smoking habits that kill the self are illegal, but letting people pick up a drinking habit that runs a great risk of vehicular homicide is still just fine.

You all have just as screwed up of a governing body as we do in the US. It is equally as laughable as irritating.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Ah how wonderful it is to be protected from the dangers of cigarettes. Nevermind toxic byproduct of fossil fuels and power plants. Cigarettes are the real problem! I mean its not like people have been smoking tobacco for thousands of years!

Seriously though, did you know that if you develop lung cancer here in the U.S. and have ever smoked cigarettes in your life they are likely to attribute your cancer to the cigarettes? I know of a case personally where said individual lived in California, where the air is notoriously bad due to car and other pollution, and because they had ever smoked cigarettes the lung cancer that developed was blamed on the cigarettes.

Keep in mind I am not honestly denying the capability of tobacco smoking in attributing to cancer, but since science has not honestly been able to conducively show what causes cancer I dont understand how they can say smoking cigarettes is the cause. Most people smoke cigarettes because it helps with their stress levels. Wouldnt it make more sense to think that stress causes cancer? Or for that matter negative emotion? Just food for thought.

I personally think that while commercials for tobacco would make some difference in personal preference (even though here in the U.S. they have not been shown for quite some time, nor have their advertisements been allowed in general magazines) it would not be as large of a factor has some others. Namely family history, mitigating factors such as stress and pain, or amount of tobacco use that you are around in general.

Ultimately, to me, it comes down to another minority that can be subjugated to the views of others. Here where I live, in Arizona, smoking inside any public business is illegal. Enforcing the views of certain people onto another outside group makes it easier for everyone to accept the idea of limiting the rights of some people for others. As if one person on this earth is more important than another. That is the whole reason behind these actions. Villify cigarette smokers and everyone is more ready to believe in removing the rights of said people. No one is talking about laws that prevent people from becoming obese by eating Mcdonalds all their life. Heart disease is more readily caused by a bad diet, especially eating the grease and fat filled concotions of said fast food restaurants than by smoking tobacco. Where are those laws?

There is always a cause behind any actions of the ruling few. It would be wise to question them.

*Edit for the fact that one of the few posts I didnt read before posting was by Makesoap, and after reading their post I had to star. Good on you for seeing and reiterating the truth.

[edit on 10-12-2008 by quetzalcoatl13]

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by deltaalphanovember
reply to post by runetang

When I was in Philadelphia 2 years ago, they had just passed a law banning all smoking in clubs and bars.

So much for your freedom...

In the UK you can't smoke in pubs or clubs or the workplace. In fact your technically not allowed to smoke in any public structure with 50% or more walls (I know I didn't word that quite right) For instance a bus shelter has a back wall, the 2 side walls, so its more than 50%... you would be breaking the law lighting up in it

We've also had quite a few cases of 'officials' (read ticket Nazi's) slapping fines on people smoking while sat in their OWN vehicle when in a car park waiting for the better half to get some shopping!!!! -- all because the vehicle was sign written, something like 'Jack & Son's painters and decorators' Now the ticket Nazi says your smoking in the workplace!! your fined £100 sonney jim
It's balmy - my local the fire exit gets more use than the front door, but on the other hand it is a good way to mix I suppose.

I pulled up a story in that smoking in his own van happens every so often, dosn't get reported so much now cos the smoking ban is old news.

Oh yhea.. on a side note, about vending machines.. I once worked in this hotel where they caught a couple of blokes trying to make off with the ciggy vending machine (it was a free standing thing, not all that heavy)... Now that struck me as quite a clever thing to rob
Cos it's either full of money, or full of cig's or somewhere in between!!!

[edit on 10/12/2008 by Now_Then]

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 02:58 AM
link   
Same thing happened in Ontario,Canada this spring/summer. In hindsight I would buy the large board they put across the cig display and sell out ad space in pieces. Take that as advice people in the UK with some business savvy.

There is way way way less smokers from what I've seen in the past 2 years. No smoking in bars and restaurants, as well as a very healthy push to get high school kids fined for smoking on school property.

IMO its more about keeping us healthy and functioning as a profitable and regulated cog in the machine.

I would rather smoke a piece of dog poo than a cigarette though, I think people should have the right to do whatever damage they want to there own body.

Peace

[edit on 10-12-2008 by TheRealDonPedros]

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 03:33 AM
link   
I am a regional rep for a cigarette manufacturer, and I know for a fact that they will never ban tobacco products in the U.S. We are basically supporting the Govt' here financially with our taxes we pay. If we were to quit paying taxes the U.S. Govt' wouldn't make it. They wanted to get into bed with us, and now they are dependent upon us. My state of Tennessee would lose millions of dollars that they have no other way of coming up with.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 03:58 AM
link   

A full ban would make a lot of people criminals - does that really make sense?
I understand banning something because it leads to criminal activity but seriously I doubt that.

People who say smoking leads to a strain on their countries health system which is detrimental to the non-smokers who dont want to subsidise smokers medical costs obviously live in countries with a state-subsidised health care system.

I pay for my own medical as do most employed people in this country - my health is my problem and any illnesses come out of my own pocket.

If you ban smoking, then you might as well ban drinking and every single car that emits carbon monoxide or other toxins. Anyone think this will work?
History says NO.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 04:14 AM
link   
How about a national award system for not smoking?? Is there a non invasive way to test people to see if they've smoked in the past week? or that day maybe?

People are generally creatures of habit, workplaces and pubs / social clubs could sign up to a government scheme - have a day once a week where people are tested - if they are smoke free they get a point - and you can save the points and get cinema tickets? a free swim at the pool? A really big pizza! It could work providing the way of testing is something like a mouth swab - blood samples would be a no no, no one likes that. A mouth swab and a little device to give an instant reading - people usually like a regular get together - especially the mid to older range and they are the real trouble smokers

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 04:25 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Originally posted by runetang
In the U.S.A., we are aloud to look at tobacco displays and advertisements because we are trusted enough to make our own decisions. We are also aloud to smoke tobacco inside clubs and bars, as long as we are Eighteen years of age or older.

You have it slightly wrong.

In the USA you are allowed to do such things because the tobacco industries paid an awful lot to the campaign funds of the political parties and lobbyists from those companies work towards making sure their products still make them as much money as possible.

These are the same companies that knew the effects of smoking tobacco with regard to lung cancers and other issues and effectively paid to have such information suppressed for a considerable number of years.

And you can bet your bottom dollar that, if that wasn't the case, the US would be a smoke free zone right now.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join