It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Web database catalogs slaves' trans-Atlantic treks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Web database catalogs slaves' trans-Atlantic treks

www.google.com

ATLANTA (AP) — Historians hope a new Web database will help bring millions of blacks closer to their African ancestors who were forced onto slave ships, connecting them to their heritage in a way that has long been possible for white Europeans.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 05:57 PM
link   
I notice that it says white Europeans but I wonder if the Irish slaves and Chinese slaves have such a site. Funny how whenever slavery in America's past comes up they only ever mention blacks, who were actually sold into slavery by other blacks in Africa.

I don't have a problem with the site per se but it does lend to more racism and it definitely doesn't cover all slaves in America's past...

www.google.com

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Just recently I was helping my father with some genealogical research on his side of the family, and it turned out that I have a Polish great-great grandfather and a Slovakian great-great-grandmother (surprising, considering the low numbers of Central/Eastern Europeans that migrated to New Zealand in the 1860s)!

But anyway, it's a shame that African-Americans have often had such limited genealogical resources at their disposal - a state hopefully improved with this new, and fascinating, database.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by theindependentjournal

I notice that it says white Europeans but I wonder if the Irish slaves and Chinese slaves have such a site. Funny how whenever slavery in America's past comes up they only ever mention blacks, who were actually sold into slavery by other blacks in Africa.

I don't have a problem with the site per se but it does lend to more racism and it definitely doesn't cover all slaves in America's past...

www.google.com

So I take it you mean that the fault of slavery is at the feet of slaves and slave owners were simply innocent by standers?

Who would have thought that the transatlantic slave trade was something that AfroAmericans brought it on themselves. Geewiz.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by masonwatcher

The fault of slavery rests on ALL that partook in this vile and inhuman thing. The blacks in Africa capturing and selling them to slave traders, the slave traders for buying human beings, and those that bought them whether in the U.S. or Jamaica or Cuba or anywhere. I just thought it was interesting that they never mention the other races and cultures that America enslaved.

I also think more light should shine on our Ally and the only nation on the planet that still allows slavery b law, YES I MEAN SAUDI ARABIA. Today in Saudi Arabia captured blacks from Africa are still being bought and sold, mistreated and killed. But the U.S. calls these peoples our allies and friends. I guess if you have Oil slavery is OK, which means Texas should be allowed to do it..

Don't read more into my opinion than I put there please. No one should ever partake in any role whatsoever in inhuman treatment of another human being for any reason and particularly not in buying and selling people like chattle... But also let's not also remember the ACTUAL TRUTH of how slavery was run and who was actually involved and how...

More than blacks were slaves in America and more than whites enslaved others in America...

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by masonwatcher
So I take it you mean that the fault of slavery is at the feet of slaves and slave owners were simply innocent by standers?

Who would have thought that the transatlantic slave trade was something that AfroAmericans brought it on themselves. Geewiz.

He's not "blaming" the Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade on African-Americans:
He's merely pointing out the un-P.C. truth that black Africans sold their brethren into slavery, as opposed to the myth immortalised in the book Roots where European slavers braved hostile tribes, vicious diseases and dangerous jungles to enslave whole villages of said Africans:
Chieftains sold their prisoners-of-war, stronger tribes sold members of weaker tribes they had ensalved, more advanced kingdoms sold those that they had enslaved from less-advanced kingdoms/tribes - Europeans merely bought slaves from trading posts on the African coast, often from islands (as nearly every tribe or kingdom forbade Europeans from entering their territory).

Of course, part of the blame does lie on the shoulders of those that bought slaves, but shifting the blame of those that captured and sold the slaves to those that purchased them is as silly as blaming the purchasers of blood diamonds for the war crimes of the militias that harvest them.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 02:40 PM
link   
They have 35000 trips and the names of 70000 slaves?

Just two names per trip? It looks like they have a lot of work still to do...

... but at least they are doing it, good for them.

new topics

top topics

join