It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vista Back door

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 02:18 AM
link   
I have the Vista, and had a backdoor attack, one of the programs said it tharted the attempt. But I thought it was some hackeer trying to look around. Back door was locked.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 02:23 AM
link   
There is a back door to vista.

Its called remote desktop.
you can use it to remotely access your computer.

The problem is the government can turn on the remote desktop program on your computer.

Don't worry hackers can not they don't have the backdoor password the government has.
they also don't have computers powerful enough to turn it on.

If you don't use remote desktop on your computer remove the file from vista.
This will close the back door.

www.howtogeek.com...

This may be what Runningtobabylon friend was trying to do.
manually get him to open "remote desktop" in a way he then could hack into

[edit on 6-12-2008 by ANNED]

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 02:26 AM
link   

I am running a MAC (thank god) so I only have the text transcript my friend sent me, can anyone confirm this????

You think you're any safer? I'll bet you anything you want that OSX probably has even more backdoors than Windows does, due to its small market share, and the need to be discreet.

Hell, they probably have their own code in Linux kernels by now too, if you wanna really have something to be scared of. Think about it- it's open source. They don't even have to pay anyone.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 02:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
There is a back door to vista.

Its called remote desktop.
you can use it to remotely access your computer.

The problem is the government can turn on the remote desktop program on your computer.

Don't worry hackers can not they don't have the backdoor password the government has.
they also don't have computers powerful enough to turn it on.

If you don't use remote desktop on your computer remove the file from vista.
This will close the back door.

www.howtogeek.com...

This may be what Runningtobabylon friend was trying to do.
manually get him to open "remote desktop" in a way he then could hack into

[edit on 6-12-2008 by ANNED]

Absolute dribble from someone who knows nothing about said Terminal Services

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by eventHorizon
NSA was involved in Vista development(!):
www.washingtonpost.com...

Microsoft acknowledged this fact.

sorry but backdoor is likely real though not buffer overflow based,
that would be too primitive now, wouldn't it?

No because if it was ever discovered then it needs to be covered up, this backdoor does not exist, these programmers have pride you know, although I have no doubt that the NSA had a say in the encryption technologies the same way they have as they trawl through open source code looking at the way they are constructed so their supercomputers can backwards engineer them

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Here is a really clever and simple reply to all of this.

Windows always flaws their versions. Its just like the pharmaceutical companies and medical industry. If you give out the perfect cure, you will not be in business long. Bill is no dummy and Steve is certainly no dummy. They know that bigger and better just around the corner is what keeps people coming back to upgrades. Upgrades equal more money.

Second, the only way to get any sense of security on any computer running any OS or software at all starts with securing yourself against the network you are attached to, in most cases that means the internet. I dont care what you do to your computer, or how many bits your password is made of, your computer is not safe as long as it is on the internet.

If you ever consider one thing above all others, when it comes to computer security, just remember one simple word...LOCKDOWN.
Lockdown your network access. Lockdown your broadband connection. Lockdown your wireless access points. Lockdown your intranet. Lockdown your home network.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by computerwiz32
I am not surprised that microsoft windows VISTA has a backdoor lol.

I never bought vista and will never use visita. Linux all the way!!!!

my sister got a new laptop and it had vista on it and I quickly format the hd and installed windows xp for my sister.

I really hate Microsoft. I seriously thing they are playing a monopoly.

[edit on 6-12-2008 by computerwiz32]

Google, Sony and Apple are prolific monopolists do you use them? And do you not like your sister or something? this is a laptop she is going to take it to here friends and get laughed at, she's a girl f.c.s. if you don't like MS get her a mac. I'll pray for her

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Edit: oops: double-post

[edit on 6-12-2008 by Ian McLean]

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 03:04 AM
link   
reply to post by spitefulgod

Yes that is silly. Unless you know how to disable WFP, any attempt to remove system files like that will be thwarted by the system - they're automatically restored. That's not the proper way to disable remote desktop.

And, if I remember correctly, it's Microsoft who holds the root keys to the NTAuthority domain, under which all sub-domain (and Terminal Services) authentications are issued. I presume the government has access, too, if they need it.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by wheresthetruth

I would also add to become Internet savvy, stop clicking "You have spyware" adverts and installing smiley toolbars.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 03:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Ian McLean

System account passwords are created randomly on system setup although like you said they are stored in an encrypted form and with a "rootkey" maybe this is what the NSA hold?

[Edit]
I would still think you would need local access to extract these password.

[edit on 6/12/2008 by spitefulgod]

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 03:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by bloodcircle
reply to post by deadline527

Excellent diagnosis Dr !!

Hopefully others can understand how a buffer overflow works from your post, and how M$ coders need a swift kick up the serial port...

All OS's and for that case a majority of software apps suffer from buffer overflaws

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 04:10 AM
link   
I'll be off topic with my intervention but like we're in a "spy topic"...

Does someone know how to use google (or related tools) to search what an i.p (a person) has researched recently. I have seen an article about this but can't remember exactly the specifics.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Its existence was confirmed by the FBI on December 12, 2001. Official FBI Seal The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) is a Federal police force and intelligence agency which is the principal investigative arm of the United States Department of Justice (DOJ). ... December 12 is the 346th day (347th in leap years) of the year in the Gregorian calendar. ... 2001: A Space Odyssey. ...

Some anti-virus companies have reportedly agreed with the government to not let their products detect Magic Lantern, but other companies, like Sophos, have said that they will write their software to detect such programs

www.nationmaster.com...

Old news FBI owned you since 1777

peace

[edit on 6/12/08 by ROO-meh]

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Do not do this!

That command triggers a stack buffer overflow that opens a potentially serious security vulnerability.

securitytracker.com...

www.derkeiler.com...

If this has already been posted, I apologize. I didn't want to read through the entirety of the thread before posting this, as it could seriously jeopardize people's security.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by spitefulgod
reply to post by wheresthetruth

I would also add to become Internet savvy, stop clicking "You have spyware" adverts and installing smiley toolbars.

Good LAWD.. don't tell them that - it's their right after all.. It is imperative they have that toolbar that gives them a smiley Outlook (express)..

God I don't miss my old Helpdesk job.. lmao

I used to work in a TAFE here in WA. The worst culprits of getting crap to cause them to call IT were the Computing lecturers. A bunch of absolute morons. Each and everyone of them.

ahh memories...

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by spitefulgod

Originally posted by bloodcircle
reply to post by deadline527

Excellent diagnosis Dr !!

Hopefully others can understand how a buffer overflow works from your post, and how M$ coders need a swift kick up the serial port...

All OS's and for that case a majority of software apps suffer from buffer overflaws

Yes. And M$ have been guilty of this for as long as the windows moniker has been displayed at large.

From the days when you could code your own port 139 oob nuker to this. M$ are just damn slack.

Sadly, I used to enjoy writing my own exploits when it would get the sad perverts off IRC back in the day (Waves at dalvenjah). Good times, watching them claim to be impervious and anonymous, as they "ping Timout" one by one..

[edit on 12/6/2008 by bloodcircle]

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Ok if I may chime in? This convo seems to have levitated into the realm of the very computer literate person. For the layman what is the final verdict? Is there or is there not a backdoor exploit in Vista that we should be concerned about? Correct me if I am wrong but I seemed to remember that when XP was released, there was some sort of microsoft "backdoor" or issue that would send information back to microsoft and that they were in no uncertain terms told to deactivate it. Apparantly its still written into xp but is non functional, so they say. Has that got anything to do with it or am I way off base with that one?
In any case I think, for the layperson, we would like to know if there is anything to concerned about? The conversation has got rather technical shall we say.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Ok you all lost me at 'Vista Back Door'

I'm not hacking into anything for Agencies to be looking at me and my computer aint broken.

I'm not touching a damn thing! lol.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Moderator-Note to ATS Members: Since members have raised doubts on the effects of typing these codes into ones computer, ATS Staff advises against trying it out before all information is known.

[edit on 6-12-2008 by Skyfloating]

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join