It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vista Back door

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by LeaderOfProgress

Nope. Port is still closed, connection to that port refused after running the command several times. Did you run the "route add" command only, or teh whole script as displayed in the original post?

Kind regards.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   
do you have an aftermarket firewall or VS program running?

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Manawydan

Oh I see - that garbage after the command isn't what's displayed, after pressing enter on the route command? Is that meant to be binary code that's typed/pasted by the user, after the route command, before pressing enter? That would make sense if it's a command line parsing buffer exploit (which the security advisory did not indicate) - then that binary garbage would be machine code.

But if it is, no one is going to get results from the OP - the ATS editor munged the binary a bit, adding newlines and turning one sequence into a smiley face.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by LeaderOfProgress

No sir. Turned it all down just for the test, which was an overkill in itself, since localhost trusts localhost unconditionally. May I kindly ask you to answer my question? I am really interested to know if you run the entire code or only the route command.

Kind regards.

[edit on 5-12-2008 by Manawydan]

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 12:53 PM
link   

1). Posting: You will not post any material that is knowingly false, misleading, or inaccurate. You will not solicit personal information from any member. You will not use information gathered form this website to harass, abuse or harm other people.

Terms and Conditions

[edit on 5-12-2008 by MemoryShock]

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then
If you hit Alt + F4 it will bring up a window for this so called back door... It's actually just the first step in setting up a VPN

Alt-F4 is the shortcut to close a window. The menu text displayed in the OP is obviously not "the first step in setting up a VPN". If you're going to attempt a vague 'shotgun refutation' of the OP, please give more detail.

[edit on 5-12-2008 by Ian McLean]

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 01:02 PM
link   
lol, you guys are so computer and business retarded it's funny, I suggest you stay with your speak and spells (Macs to the lay man)

lol.... right in your faces, the only post worth merit here is the one about the police having tools to access your machine, these are provided by MS but you can download them online and get access to any systems in minutes

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 01:05 PM
link   
The code string is bad that he gave, if you run the true string it will open the door.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by spitefulgod

That's nice, spiteful - do you think that Vista has 'backdoors' built into it, that provide a data-access mechanism that can be accessed without external media? Don't the COFEE tools you mention require more than just typing something on the keyboard?

Please give us your expert assessment!

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 01:11 PM
link   
The windows user password is a joke. If you are depending on that to keep your data safe your sadly mistaken. I'm a Network Admin and I reset windows passwords daily. ERD and Ultimate Boot Disk are just a few ways to compromise windows security.

Huh, come to think of it that is an oxymoron "windows security"

Edit to add:

Aside from that I have not heard of any way of breaking into a computer with a built in back door made by Microsoft.

[edit on 5-12-2008 by Digital_Reality]

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Ian McLean

MS are not that stupid to build backdoors into their software due to the constant scrutiny of anti-trust and security industries (of which Apple are not under).

If Microsoft did feel the need to have a backdoor (a big if) it would be done under the guise of a buffer overflow or underrun bug that could be executed remotely and be covered up as a legitimate bug if discovered.. It would be useless to have it executed locally

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Digital_Reality

I do the same although keep my info safe with pgp drive encryption or vista bitlocker, password resets then render the drive useless, microsoft offer this to police www.mckeay.net... although i believe higher companies have hacks to release encryption keys.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Ok so is this a legitimate threat if someone types in all that mumbojumbo or what.

Arent there rules here that prohibit the posting of such things and to be disquising such posts as something else...false pretense, luring unsuspecting people into doing something that makes their systems more vulnerable?

If so I think moderation is requried and a firm warning issued IMO.

I did not type any of that crap into my system, and I never just openly trust such things to do so.

I learned the lesson of "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is" a long long time ago.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by spitefulgod
MS are not that stupid to build backdoors into their software due to the constant scrutiny of anti-trust and security industries (of which Apple are not under).

I agree that it's kind of implausible that they'd actually build in an obvious back door that could be activated and made public, without deniability. Thus I'm skeptical of the OP's specific claim.

But I'd always considered that the 'Anti-Trust' actions against Microsoft made them potentially more pliable to government and law-enforcement demands to build secure back doors and exploitable weaknesses into their products. After all, those cases from the DoJ went away rather decisively...

Actually, ever since Win95 OSR2, I have no trust in the determinability of Microsoft operating system products, with regards to what they're doing "behind the scenes".

As previously mentioned, the only "secure computer" is one that is not attached to any network, shielded from all electromagnetic radiation, located in a physically secure environment, at the bottom of a mine shaft covered in lead plate, and disconnected from any power source with all batteries removed.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by spitefulgod
I know what a killjoy

Meh, it wasn't that funny - more tongue-in-cheek sarcasm would have been entertaining, at least. Perhaps an allusion to the mysterious "SysRq" key?

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ian McLean

I agree that it's kind of implausible that they'd actually build in an obvious back door that could be activated and made public, without deniability. Thus I'm skeptical of the OP's specific claim.

But I'd always considered that the 'Anti-Trust' actions against Microsoft made them potentially more pliable to government and law-enforcement demands to build secure back doors and exploitable weaknesses into their products. After all, those cases from the DoJ went away rather decisively...

Actually, ever since Win95 OSR2, I have no trust in the determinability of Microsoft operating system products, with regards to what they're doing "behind the scenes".

As previously mentioned, the only "secure computer" is one that is not attached to any network, shielded from all electromagnetic radiation, located in a physically secure environment, at the bottom of a mine shaft covered in lead plate, and disconnected from any power source with all batteries removed.

I'm sure they would have one if they felt the need but I doubt they would also especially not one that executes locally and opens up some powershell script. As for this machine in the mine you speak of there is still a weakness, the biggest weakness in any OS. the user

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I know this is of the subject but since it was brought up...

A more positive application of Alt+F4 would be to close pop ups that intentionally try to get you to click on them to install spy-ware. I prefer to do this rather than clicking on the red X to close the window.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ian McLean
Meh, it wasn't that funny - more tongue-in-cheek sarcasm would have been entertaining, at least. Perhaps an allusion to the mysterious "SysRq" key?

SysRq + u = hilarious head scratching

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join