It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Post a religious quote (for or against)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Its been said that :

""....the wisdom of the wise and the experience of the ages is preserved in quotations"

(Although that in itself is a quotation so it may be a little bias)

Feel free to post your quotes about religion here!
Either for or against...as long as they make you think.

Heres some for starters:

"I don't try to imagine a personal god;it suffices to stand in awe at the structure of the world,insofar as it allows our inadequate senses to appreciate it."
Albert Einstein

"The religion of one age is the literary entertainment of the next"
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I believe in God; I just don't trust anyone who works for him. ~Author unknown.

In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty. ~ U.S. President Thomas Jefferson

We have just enough religion to make us hate, but not enough to make us love one another. ~Jonathan Swift, Miscellanies, 1711

It is wonderful how much time good people spend fighting the devil. If they would only expend the same amount of energy loving their fellow men, the devil would die in his own tracks of ennui. ~Helen Keller

"Religions are like farts.Yours is good but everyone else's stinks"
Picket fences

"Religion is no more the parent of morality than an incubator is the mother of a chicken.”
Lemuel K. Washburn

"Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid. "
~ Marcus Aurelius

If I were personally to define religion, I would say that it is a bandage that man has invented to protect a soul made bloody by circumstances. ~Theodore Dreiser, 1941

Businesses may come and go, but religion will last forever, for in no other endeavor does the consumer blame himself for product failure. ~Harvard Lamphoon, "Doon" (paraphrase)

My religiosity consists in a humble admiration of the infinitely superior spirit that reveals itself in the little that we, with our weak and transitory understanding, can comprehend of reality. Morality is of the highest importance - but for us, not for God. ~Albert Einstein

There are ten church members by inheritance for every one by conviction. ~Author Unknown

A man without religion is like a horse without a bridle. ~Latin Proverb

Men will wrangle for religion; write for it; fight for it; die for it; anything but live for it. ~C.C. Colton

There is a story, which is fairly well known, about when the missionaries came to Africa. They had the Bible and we, the natives, had the land. They said "Let us pray," and we dutifully shut our eyes. When we opened them, why, they now had the land and we had the Bible. ~Desmond M. Tutu, "Religious Human Rights and the Bible"

A myth is a religion in which no one any longer believes. ~James Feibleman, Understanding Philosophy, 1973

Religion: A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. ~Ambrose Bierce

An Inuit hunter asked the local missionary priest: "If I did not know about God and sin, would I go to hell?" "No," said the priest, "not if you did not know." "Then why," asked the Inuit earnestly, "did you tell me?" ~Annie Dillard, Pilgrim at Tinker Creek

The Theologian is an owl, sitting on an old dead branch in the tree of human knowledge, and hooting the same old hoots that have been hooted for hundreds and thousands of years, but he has never given a hoot for progress. ~Emmet F. Fields

Geology shows that fossils are of different ages. Paleontology shows a fossil sequence, the list of species represented changes through time. Taxonomy shows biological relationships among species. Evolution is the explanation that threads it all together. Creationism is the practice of squeezing one's eyes shut and wailing "Does not!" ~Author Unknown

We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the same sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart. ~H.L. Mencken

God is innocent. Noah built in a flood plain. ~Author Unknown

The total absence of humor from the Bible is one of the most singular things in all literature. ~Alfred North Whitehead

If we are going to teach 'creation science' as an alternative to evolution, then we should also teach the stork theory as an alternative to biological reproduction. ~Judith Hayes.

God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh. ~Voltaire

Religion supports nobody. It has to be supported. It produces no wheat, no corn; it ploughs no land; it fells no forests. It is a perpetual mendicant. It lives on the labors of others, and then has the arrogance to pretend that it supports the giver. ~Robert G. Ingersoll

Christianity is not a religion; it's an industry. ~Author Unknown

A great deal of what passes for current Christianity consists in denouncing other people's vices and faults. ~Henry H. Williams

Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish. ~Author Unknown

I like to browse in occult bookshops if for no other reason than to refresh my commitment to science. ~Heinz Pagels, The Dreams of Reason

People who want to share their religious views with you almost never want you to share yours with them. ~Dave Barry

Thousands have gone to heaven who never read one page of the Bible. ~Francis A. Baker

Most men would kill the truth if truth would kill their religion. ~Lemuel K. Washburn.

Most people's religion is what they want to believe, not what they do believe. ~Luther Burbank.

It is the position of some theists that their right to freedom OF religion is abridged when they are not allowed to violate the rationalists' right to freedom FROM religion. ~James T. Green

I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death. ~George Carin (RIP)

"Suppose we've chosen the wrong god. Every time we go to church we're just making him madder and madder." - Homer Simpson

Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to beleive that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"
Douglas Adams (RIP)

To an evolutionary psychologist,the universal extravagance of religious rituals,with their costs in time,resources,pain and privation,should suggest as vividly as a mandrill's bottom that religion may be adaptive".
Marek Kohn

"There is in every village a torch-the teacher:and an extinguisher-the clergyman"
Victor Hugo

"Question with boldness even the existance of God;because,if there be one he must approve of the homage of reason,than that of blind-folded fear"
U.S. President Thomas Jefferson

"Ecclesiastical establishments tend to great ignorance and corruption,all of which facilitate the execution of mischeivious projects"
U.S. President James Maddison

"I do not feel obliged to beleive that the same God who has endowed us with senses,reason and intellect has intended us to forgoe their use".
Galileo Galilei

[Creation science is] an attempt to give credibility to Hebrew mythology by making people believe that the world's foremost biologists, paleontologists, and geologists are a bunch of incompetent nincompoops. ~Ron Peterson

"When the churches literally ruled society, the human drama encompassed: (a) slavery; (b) the cruel subjection of women;(c)the most savage forms of legal punishment; (d) the absurd belief that kings ruled by divine right; (e) the daily imposition of physical abuse; (f) cold heartlessness for the sufferings of the poor; as well as (g) assorted pogroms ('ethnic cleansing' wars) between rival religions, capital punishment for literally hundreds of offenses, and countless other daily imposed moral outrages. . . . It was the free-thinking, challenging work by people of conscience, who almost invariably had to defy the religious and political status quo of their times, that brought us out of such darkness." Steve Allen

I was walking across a bridge one day, and I saw a man standing on the edge, about to jump off. So I ran over and said 'Stop! don't do it!' 'Why shouldn't I?' he said. I said, 'Well, there's so much to live for!' He said, 'Like what?' I said, 'Well...are you religious or atheist?' He said, 'Religious.' I said, 'Me too! Are you Christian or Buddhist?' He said, 'Christian.' I said, 'Me too! Are you Catholic or Protestant?' He said, 'Protestant.' I said, 'Me too! Are you Episcopalian or Baptist?' He said, 'Baptist!' I said, 'Wow! Me too! Are you Baptist church of god or Baptist church of the lord?' He said, 'Baptist church of god!' I said, 'Me too! Are you original Baptist church of god, or are you reformed Baptist church of god?' He said, 'Reformed Baptist church of god!' I said, 'Me too! Are you reformed Baptist church of god, reformation of 1879, or reformed Baptist church of god, reformation of 1915?' He said, 'Reformed Baptist church of god, reformation of 1915!' I said, 'Die, heretic scum,' and pushed him off. ~Emo Phillips

“The supreme arrogance of religious thinking: that a carbon-based bag of mostly water on a speck of iron-silicate dust around a boring dwarf star in a minor galaxy … would look up at the sky and declare, ‘It was all made so that I could exist!"
~Physicist Peter Walker.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 08:03 AM
link   
lord save me from your followers.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   
On young Earth Creationism and abrahamic mythology being taken as literal:

"I cannot deny that the increase of scientific knowledge has deprived parts of the earlier books of the Bible of the historical value which was generally attributed to them by our forefathers.
The story of Creation in the Book of Genesis, unless we play fast and loose either with words or with science, cannot be brought into harmony with what we have learnt from geology.
Its ethnological statements are imperfect, if not sometimes inaccurate. The stories of the Fall, of the Flood, and of the Tower of Babel, are incredible in their present form.
Some historical element may underlie many of the traditions in the first eleven chapters in that book, but this we cannot hope to recover."
Professor Bonney, F.R.S., Canon of Manchester ,October 10, 1895.

Geology shows that fossils are of different ages. Paleontology shows a fossil sequence, the list of species represented changes through time. Taxonomy shows biological relationships among species. Evolution is the explanation that threads it all together. Creationism is the practice of squeezing one's eyes shut and wailing "Does not!" ~Author Unknown

If we are going to teach 'creation science' as an alternative to evolution, then we should also teach the stork theory as an alternative to biological reproduction. ~Judith Hayes, In God We Trust: But Which One?

In science, "fact" can only mean "confirmed to such a degree that it would be perverse to withhold provisional assent." I suppose that apples might start to rise tomorrow, but the possibility does not merit equal time in physics classrooms. ~Stephen J. Gould

I like to browse in occult bookshops if for no other reason than to refresh my commitment to science. ~Heinz Pagels, The Dreams of Reason

[Creation science is] an attempt to give credibility to Hebrew mythology by making people believe that the world's foremost biologists, paleontologists, and geologists are a bunch of incompetent nincompoops. ~Ron Peterson

Religion seems to have a way of making people abandon logic. ~Amanda Baxter

So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence. ~Bertrand Russell

"I have determined, after extensive surveying, tabulation, and data analysis, that the average creationist in the US earns $21,387.29 in family income; owns 1.2 cars; 1.8 TV's, and 2.3 kids; and has, at some stage answered to the name "Bubba". He has less than one year of college. Yet he knows more about paleontology than Bakker or Horner (or he thinks that what they know is wrong--same thing). He knows more about the definition of evolution than Gould or Dawkins. He knows more about Biology than Dobzhansky or Mayr. He knows more about cosmology Hawking, Smoot or Witten and more about fossils than Jhanson or the Leakeys. He knows more "true" geology than geologists, more psychics than physicists, more astronomy than astronomers--and more about everything than atheists like Asimov or Sagan"
Anon

The biblical account of Noah's Ark and the Flood is perhaps the most implausible story for fundamentalists to defend. Where, for example, while loading his ark, did Noah find penguins and polar bears in Palestine? ~Judith Hayes

Most men would kill the truth if truth would kill their religion. ~Lemuel K. Washburn, Is The Bible Worth Reading And Other Essays

It is the position of some theists that their right to freedom OF religion is abridged when they are not allowed to violate the rationalists' right to freedom FROM religion. ~James T. Green

Most reformers wore rubber boots and stood on glass when God sent a current of Commonsense through the Universe. ~Elbert Hubbard

Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense. ~Chapman Cohen

[edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12]

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   
"The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting; it has been found difficult and left untried."
-- GK Chesterton

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   
GOD.
"I cannot prove I exist,for without faith I am nothing"

MAN.
"Ah but the Babel fish proves you exist,so therefore you don't ... QED"

GOD.
"Oh ... I hadn't thought of that",And promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.

MAN then goes to prove black is white,and gets run over on the next zebra crossing.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright
"The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting; it has been found difficult and left untried."
-- GK Chesterton

Indeed!
G.K. Chesterton was quite a wise chap:

"Let your religion be less of a theory and more of a love affair". ~G.K. Chesterton

As was George Bernard Shaw:

"Christianity might be a good thing if anyone ever tried it". ~George Bernard Shaw

"The churches must learn humility as well as teach it". ~George Bernard Shaw

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by AGENT_T
GOD.
"I cannot prove I exist,for without faith I am nothing"

MAN.
"Ah but the Babel fish proves you exist,so therefore you don't ... QED"

GOD.
"Oh ... I hadn't thought of that",And promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.

MAN then goes to prove black is white,and gets run over on the next zebra crossing.

Douglas Adam's brain is sorely missed.

Heres a few little gems from your avatar:

"I'm not a bad guy! I work hard, and I love my kids. So
why should I spend half my Sunday hearing about how
I'm going to Hell?" -Homer Simpson

"I’m not normally a praying man, but if you’re up there, please save me, Superman".
-Homer Simpson

"God bless those pagans". -Homer Simpson

"Suppose we've chosen the wrong god. Every time we go to church we're just making him madder and madder." - Homer Simpson

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 04:09 PM
link   
how bout this one.

" Sin blinds understanding of who God is "

and the main example is about the last three posts.

have a good Christmas guys.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Saint Thomas Aquinas

"If, then, you are looking for the way by which you should go, take Christ, because He Himself is the way."

"It is possible to demonstrate God's existence, although not a priori, yet a posteriori from some work of His more surely known to us."

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible."

Sir Isaac Newton

"This most beautiful system [The Universe] could only proceed from the dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being."

"God created everything by number, weight and measure."

"In the absence of any other proof, the thumb alone would convince me of God's existence."

Albert Einstein:
"The most beautiful and most profound experience is the sensation of the mystical. It is the sower of all true science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead. To know that what is impenetrable to us really exists, manifesting itself as the highest wisdom and the most radiant beauty which our dull faculties can comprehend only in their primitive forms - this knowledge, this feeling is at the center of true religiousness."

"There are people who say there is no God, but what makes me really angry is that they quote me for support of such views."

"I do not share the crusading spirit of the professional atheist. What separates me from most so-called atheists is a feeling of utter humility toward the unattainable secrets of the harmony of the cosmos."

James C. Maxwell

"Man's chief end is to glorify God and to enjoy him for ever."

"I think men of science as well as other men need to learn from Christ, and I think Christians whose minds are scientific are bound to study science that their view of the glory of God may be as extensive as their being is capable. But I think that the results which each man arrives at in his attempts to harmonize his science with his Christianity ought not to be regarded as having any significance except to the man himself, and to him only for a time, and should not receive the stamp of a society. "

Lewis Agassiz

"It is the job of prophets and scientists alike to proclaim the glories of God."

C S Lewis:
"A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell."

" An explanation of cause is not a justification by reason."

"If the whole universe has no meaning, we should never have found out that it has no meaning: just as, if there were no light in the universe and therefore no creatures with eyes, we should never know it was dark. Dark would be without meaning."

""I think we must attack -- wherever we meet it -- the nonsensical idea that mutually exclusive propositions about God can both be true."

Mahatma Gandhi
"A friendly study of the world's religions is a sacred duty."

Michelangelo
"I live and love in God's peculiar light."

Francis Bacon

"There was never law, or sect, or opinion did so much magnify goodness, as the Christian religion doth."

I'll cap it of with:

Lenny Bruce

"I think it's about time we gave up religion and got back to God."

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by JesusisTruth
how bout this one.
" Sin blinds understanding of who God is "
and the main example is about the last three posts.
have a good Christmas guys.

Ah yes Spidey,very good.
If you define sin as 'somehow deluding oneself that you are more special,holy,chosen,saved or superior to others' then I agree.

Heres another interesting one from Blaise Pascal:

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction".
Blaise Pascal

And another truly insightful quote by the freethinking comedy genius that was George Carlin:

"Religion has actualy convinced people that there's an invisible man - living in the sky- who watches everything you do,every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forver and ever 'til the end of time....but he loves you"
George Carlin.

Quote in context:
uk.youtube.com...

A ho ho happy Christmas.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Albert Einstein:
"The most beautiful and most profound experience is the sensation of the mystical. It is the sower of all true science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead. To know that what is impenetrable to us really exists, manifesting itself as the highest wisdom and the most radiant beauty which our dull faculties can comprehend only in their primitive forms - this knowledge, this feeling is at the center of true religiousness."

Thanks for sharing the quotes.
Its an interesting one with Einstein because,although he was a deist, I think he had utter disdain for the negative way many organised relgions conducted themselves.
Heres a link to a recent story from the Daily Telegraph in which Einstein describes how he feels about religion.
www.telegraph.co.uk...

In the letter, dated January 3 1954, he wrote: "The word god is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weakness, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish.

"The word god is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weakness, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish.
No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this.

and

"For me the Jewish religion like all others is an incarnation of the most childish superstitions. And the Jewish people to whom I gladly belong and with whose mentality I have a deep affinity have no different quality for me than all other people.

"As far as my experience goes, they are no better than other human groups, although they are better protected from the worst cancers by a lack of power. Otherwise I cannot see anything 'chosen' about them."

The article also goes on to state:

Educated at a Catholic primary school but given private tuition in Judaism, Einstein later wrote that the "religious paradise of youth" - when he believed what he was told - was quickly crushed when he started questioning religion at the age of 12.

He wrote: "The consequence was a positively fanatic freethinking coupled with the impression that youth is being deceived by the state through lies; it was a crushing impression."

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Thanks for sharing the quotes.
Its an interesting one with Einstein because,although he was a deist, I think he had utter disdain for the negative way many organised relgions conducted themselves.

You're welcome. Yes, I am aware of Einstein's disdain for organized religion and any sort of fundamental extremes. Deist or pantheist (depending on who you ask) he did not believe in a personal God. (c.f., his often touted quote wrt Spinoza, ""I believe in Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with the fates and actions of human beings.")

Heres a link to a recent story from the Daily Telegraph in which Einstein describes how he feels about religion.

I remember reading this before. This letter has come up on ATS before, too. Also: here,

Regards.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   
United States Constitution

The First Amendment
“Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion...”

Article VI, Section 3
“...no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States.”

U.S. Founding father quotes.

John Adams (the second President of the United States)

Adams signed the Treaty of Tripoli (June 7, 1797). Article 11 states:
“The government of the United States is not in any sense founded on the Christian religion.”

From a letter to Charles Cushing (October 19, 1756):
“Twenty times in the course of my late reading, have I been upon the point of breaking out, ‘this would be the best of all possible worlds, if there were no religion in it.’”

From a letter to Thomas Jefferson:
“I almost shudder at the thought of alluding to the most fatal example of the abuses of grief which the history of mankind has preserved — the Cross. Consider what calamities that engine of grief has produced!”

Additional quotes from John Adams:
“Where do we find a precept in the Bible for Creeds, Confessions, Doctrines and Oaths, and whole carloads of trumpery that we find religion encumbered with in these days?”

“The Doctrine of the divinity of Jesus is made a convenient cover for absurdity.”

“...Thirteen governments [of the original states] thus founded on the natural authority of the people alone, without a pretence of miracle or mystery, and which are destined to spread over the northern part of that whole quarter of the globe, are a great point gained in favor of the rights of mankind.”

Thomas Jefferson (the third President of the United States)

Jefferson’s interpretation of the first amendment in a letter to the Danbury Baptist Association (January 1, 1802):
“Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between man and his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legislative powers of government reach actions only, and not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should ‘make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,’ thus building a wall of separation between church and State.”

From Jefferson’s biography:
“...an amendment was proposed by inserting the words, ‘Jesus Christ...the holy author of our religion,’ which was rejected ‘By a great majority in proof that they meant to comprehend, within the mantle of its protection, the Jew and the Gentile, the Christian and the Mohammedan, the Hindoo and the Infidel of every denomination.’”

Jefferson’s “The Statute of Virginia for Religious Freedom”:
“Our civil rights have no dependence on our religious opinions, more than on our opinions in physics and geometry....The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.”

From Thomas Jefferson’s Bible:
“The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the Supreme Being as his father, in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter.”

Jefferson’s Notes on Virginia:
“Reason and persuasion are the only practicable instruments. To make way for these free inquiry must be indulged; how can we wish others to indulge it while we refuse ourselves? But every state, says an inquisitor, has established some religion. No two, say I, have established the same. Is this a proof of the infallibility of establishments?”

Additional quotes from Thomas Jefferson:
“It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself.”

“They [the clergy] believe that any portion of power confided to me, will be exerted in opposition of their schemes. And they believe rightly: for I have sworn upon the alter of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.”

“I have examined all the known superstitions of the word, and I do not find in our particular superstition of Christianity one redeeming feature. They are all alike founded on fables and mythology. Millions of innocent men, women and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined and imprisoned. What has been the effect of this coercion? To make one half of the world fools and the other half hypocrites; to support roguery and error all over the earth.”

“In every country and in every age the priest has been hostile to liberty; he is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own.”

“Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear....Do not be frightened from this inquiry by any fear of its consequences. If it end in a belief that there is no God, you will find incitements to virtue on the comfort and pleasantness you feel in its exercise and in the love of others which it will procure for you.”

“Christianity...[has become] the most perverted system that ever shone on man....Rogueries, absurdities and untruths were perpetrated upon the teachings of Jesus by a large band of dupes and importers led by Paul, the first great corrupter of the teaching of Jesus.”

“...that our civil rights have no dependence on religious opinions, any more than our opinions in physics and geometry.”

James Madison (the fourth President of the United States)

Memorial and Remonstrance Against Religious Assessments:
“Religious bondage shackles and debilitates the mind and unfits it for every noble enterprise....During almost fifteen centuries has the legal establishment of Christianity been on trial. What have been its fruits? More or less, in all places, pride and indolence in the clergy; ignorance and servility in laity; in both, superstition, bigotry, and persecution.”

Additional quote from James Madison:
“Religion and government will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”

Benjamin Franklin

From Franklin’s autobiography, p. 66:
“My parents had given me betimes religious impressions, and I received from my infancy a pious education in the principles of Calvinism. But scarcely was I arrived at fifteen years of age, when, after having doubted in turn of different tenets, according as I found them combated in the different books that I read, I began to doubt of Revelation itself.”

From Franklin’s autobiography, p. 66:
“...Some books against Deism fell into my hands....It happened that they wrought an effect on me quite contrary to what was intended by them; for the arguments of the Deists, which were quote to be refuted, appeared to me much stronger than the refutations, in short, I soon became a thorough Deist.”

Additional quotes from Thomas Paine.

From The Age of Reason, pp. 8–9:
“I do not believe in the creed professed by the Jewish church, by the Roman church, by the Greek church, by the Turkish church, by the Protestant church, nor by any church that I know of....Each of those churches accuse the other of unbelief; and of my own part, I disbelieve them all.”

From The Age of Reason:
“All natural institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit.”

From The Age of Reason:
“The most detestable wickedness, the most horrid cruelties, and the greatest miseries that have afflicted the human race have had their origin in this thing called revelation, or revealed religion.”

From The Age of Reason:
“What is it the Bible teaches us? — rapine, cruelty, and murder.”

From The Age of Reason:
“Loving of enemies is another dogma of feigned morality, and has beside no meaning....Those who preach the doctrine of loving their enemies are in general the greatest prosecutors, and they act consistently by so doing; for the doctrine is hypocritical, and it is natural that hypocrisy should act the reverse of what it preaches.”

From The Age of Reason:
“The Bible was established altogether by the sword, and that in the worst use of it — not to terrify but to extirpate.”

Additional quote from Thomas Paine:
“It is the duty of every true Deist to vindicate the moral justice of God against the evils of the Bible.”

Conclusion:
“Point for point, the Founding Fathers’ argument for liberty was the exact counterpart of the Puritans’ argument for dictatorship — but in reverse, moving from the opposite starting point to the opposite conclusion. Man, the Founding Fathers said in essence (with a large assist from Locke and others), is the rational being; no authority, human or otherwise, can demand blind obedience from such a being — not in the realm of thought or, therefore, in the realm of action, either. By his very nature, they said, man must be left free to exercise his reason and then to act accordingly, i.e., by the guidance of his best rational judgment. Because this world is of vital importance, they added, the motive of man’s action should be the pursuit of happiness. Because the individual, not a supernatural power, is the creator of wealth, a man should have the right to private property, the right to keep and use or trade his own product. And because man is basically good, they held, there is no need to leash him; there is nothing to fear in setting free a rational animal.
“This, in substance, was the American argument for man’s inalienable rights. It was the argument that reason demands freedom.”
—Leonard Peikoff, “Religion vs. America,” The Voice of Reason

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   
"When I consider my crosses, tribulations, and tempations, I shame myself almost to death, thinking what are they in comparison to the suffering of my blessed Savior Christ Jesus."

Martin Luther

"The explosion of Jesus upon one's life transforms the human personality. It often brings peace of mind, contentment, happiness and joy. But to stop there as many do is like comparing real life to a children's fairy tale in which the heroes are heroines 'live happily ever after'."

Charles Colson,
Life Sentence

"Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them, but do ot let them master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight. When we do the best we can, we never know what miracle is wrought in our own life or in the life of another."

Helen Keller

"If there is something we need more than anything else during grief, it is a friend who stands with us, who doesn't leave us. Jesus is that friend."

Rev. Bolly Graham

"Wheather or not we sense and feel the presence of the Holy Spirit or one of the holy angels, by faith we are certain God will never leave us or forsake us."

Rev. Billy Graham

Just some of my faviorte quotes!

Peace to you,

Grandma

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Grandma

Thanks for the post Grandma,I think Helen Keller was a very wise (and courageous) lady.

It is wonderful how much time good people spend fighting the devil. If they would only expend the same amount of energy loving their fellow men, the devil would die in his own tracks of ennui.
Helen Keller

This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness.
Dalai Lama

Most men's anger about religion is as if two men should quarrel for a lady that neither of them care for.
George Savile, Marquess de Halifax

It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Men will wrangle for religion; write for it; fight for it; die for it; anything but live for it.
C.C. Colton

Thousands have gone to heaven who never read one page of the Bible. Francis A. Baker

But who prays for Satan? Who, in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most?
Mark Twain

Infidel: In New York, one who does not believe in the Christian religion; in Constantinople, one who does.
Ambrose Bierce

I believe in God; I just don't trust anyone who works for him.
Anon

There are ten church members by inheritance for every one by conviction.
Anon

It is the test of a good religion whether you can joke about it.
G.K. Chesterton

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 08:15 AM
link   
If we discover a desire within us that nothing in this world can satisfy, then. we should begin to wonder if perhaps we were created for another world. C.S Lewis

...that people often say about Him: "I'm ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, but I don't accept His claim to be God." That is the one thing we must not say. A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic--on a level with the man who says he is a poached egg--or else he would be the Devil of Hell. You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse. You can shut Him up for a fool, you can spit at Him and kill Him as a demon; or you can fall at His feet and call Him Lord and God. But let us not come with any patronising nonsense about His being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to.
C. S. Lewis (1898 - 1963), from _Mere_Christianity_

“Christianity does not remove you from the world and its problems; it makes you fit to live in it, triumphantly and usefull- Charles Templeton

[edit on 1/11/2009 by Stormrider]

[edit on 1/11/2009 by Stormrider]

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   
If a man would follow, today, the teachings of the Old Testament, he would be a criminal. If he would follow strictly the teachings of the New, he would be insane.
Robert G. Ingersoll

Organized Christianity has probably done more to retard the ideals that were its founders' than any other agency in the world.
Richard Le Gallienne

There were honest people long before there were Christians and there are, God be praised, still honest people where there are no Christians. It could therefore easily be possible that people are Christians because true Christianity corresponds to what they would have been even if Christianity did not exist.
G.C. Lichtenberg

Man is a Religious Animal. He is the only Religious Animal. He is the only animal that has the True Religion - several of them. He is the only animal that loves his neighbor as himself and cuts his throat if his theology isn't straight. He has made a graveyard of the globe in trying his honest best to smooth his brother's path to happiness and heaven.
Mark Twain

Give the church a place in the Constitution, let her touch once more the sword of power, and the priceless fruit of all ages will turn to ashes on the lips of men.
Robert G. Ingersoll

Everyday people are straying away from the church and going back to God.
Lennie Bruce.

No man treats a motor car as foolishly as he treats another human being. When the car will not go, he does not attribute its annoying behavior to sin, he does not say, "You are a wicked motorcar, and I shall not give you any more petrol until you go." He attempts to find out what is wrong and set it right.
Bertrand Russell

Without cultural sanction, most or all our religious beliefs and rituals would fall into the domain of mental disturbance.
John F. Schumaker

A dogma will thrive in soil where the truth could not get root.
Lemuel K. Washburn

Nature wants us to enjoy life to the full and die without giving it a second thought; Christianity wants the opposite.
Sainte-Beuve,Les Cahiers.

A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism.
Carl Sagan

Those people who tell me that I'm going to hell while they are going to heaven somehow make me very glad that we're going to separate destinations.
Martin Terman

The Christian Right is neither.
Anon

Puritanism: the haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy. H.L. Mencken

"The theistic idea of God is not only in this day and age unbelievable, it is immoral."
Bishop John Shelby Spong, Christ Episcopal Church, Maryland Parkway, Las Vegas, September 3, 2003.

A long and wicked life followed by five minutes of perfect grace gets you into Heaven. An equally long life of decent living and good works followed by one outburst of taking the name of the Lord in vain - then have a heart attack at that moment and be damned for eternity. Is that the system? ~Robert A. Heinlein

To crush out fanaticism and revere the infinite, such is the law. Let us not confine ourselves to falling prostrate beneath the tree of creation and contemplating its vast ramifications full of stars. We have a duty to perform, to cultivate the human soul, to defend mystery against miracle, to adore the incomprehensible and to reject the absurd; to admit nothing that is inexplicable excepting what is necessary, to purify faith and obliterate superstition from the face of religion, to remove the vermin from the garden of God.
Victor Hugo

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   
“Words which do not give the light of Christ increase the darkness.”~ Mother Theresa

“Alexander, Caesar, Charlemagne, and myself founded empires; but what foundation did we rest the creations of our genius? Upon force. Jesus Christ founded an empire upon love; and at this hour millions of men would die for Him.”~ Napolean Bonaparte

“The Gateway to Christianity is not through an intricate labyrinth of dogma, but by a simple belief in the person of Christ.”~Norman Vincent Peale

“The man or woman who is wholly or joyously surrendered to Christ can't make a wrong choice/any choice will be the right one.”~A.W. Tozer

“All the world would be Christian if they were taught the pure Gospel of Christ!”~ Thomas Jefferson

“It can not be emphasized too strongly or too often that this great nation was founded, not by religionists, but by Christians, not on religions, but on the gospel of Jesus Christ!”~ Patrick Henry

“Being a Christian is more than just an instantaneous conversion - it is a daily process whereby you grow to be more and more like Christ” ~ Billy Graham

“Without Jesus Christ man must be in vice and misery; with Jesus Christ man is free from vice and misery; in Him is all our virtue and all our happiness. Apart from Him there is but vice, misery, darkness, death, despair.”~ Blaise Pascal

“The Lord works from the inside out. The world works from the outside in. The world would take people out of the slums. Christ takes the slums out of people, and then they take themselves out of the slums. The world would mold men by changing their environment. Christ changes men, who then change their environment. The world would shape human behavior, but Christ can change human nature.”~ Ezra Taft Benson

“A man ought to live so that everybody knows he is a Christian... and most of all, his family ought to know.”~Dwight L Moody

“There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, "Thy will be done," and those to whom God says, "All right, then, have it your way”~ C.S. Lewis

“Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important.”~ C.S. Lewis

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Thanks for the post (theres certainly a growing collection).

I have to take exception to Mr Pascal's (IMHO quite deluded) comments- wasn't he the one that also concocted the ridiculously loaded wager?

“Without Jesus Christ man must be in vice and misery; with Jesus Christ man is free from vice and misery; in Him is all our virtue and all our happiness. Apart from Him there is but vice, misery, darkness, death, despair.”~ Blaise Pascal

If this were true all the people that ever lived before 2000 years ago,including the cultured civilisations of ancient Sumeria,China and Egypt, never displayed the positive human traits of compassion,benevolence,empathy or kindness -do you think this opinion is in any way credible,plausible or feasible (or sane)?
Sounds to me like all too typical religious propaganda espousing the idea that their specific cult invented moral integrity.

“One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion".
Arthur C Clarke

"At least two-thirds of our miseries spring from human stupidity, human malice and those great motivators and justifiers of malice and stupidity: idealism, dogmatism and proselytizing zeal on behalf of religous or political ideas".
Aldous Huxley

"A person has no religion who has not slowly and painfully gathered one together, adding to it, shaping it, and one's religion is never complete and final, it seems, but must always be undergoing modification".
D.H.Lawrence

"If I were not an atheist, I would believe in a God who would choose to save people on the basis of the totality of their lives and not the pattern of their words. I think he would prefer an honest and righteous atheist to a TV preacher whose every word is God, God, God, and whose every deed is foul, foul, foul."
Isaac Asimov.

I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.
Stephen Roberts

"The priests of the different religious sects...dread the advance of science as witches do the approach of daylight,and scowl on the fatal harbinger announcing the subdivision of the duperies on which they live".
Thomas Jefferson

"I do not believe any type of religion should ever be introduced into the public schools of the United States."
Thomas Edison

"I am treated as evil by people who claim that they are being oppressed because they are not allowed to force me to practice what they do."
Dale Gulledge

"If we go back to the beginnings of things, we shall always find that ignorance and fear created the gods; that imagination, rapture and deception embellished them; that weakness worships them; that custom spares them; and that tyranny favors them in order to profit from the blindness of men."
Paul-Henri,Baron d'Holbach;The System of Nature

"Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich".
Napoleon Bonaparte

"Mankind will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"
Denis Diderot.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
"If only God would give me some clear sign! Like making a large deposit in my name in a Swiss bank. "

Woody Allen.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join