It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Post a religious quote (for or against)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 08:18 PM
link   
“The devil is only a convenient myth invented by the real malefactors of our world”

Robert Anton Wilson

“People have murdered each other, in massive wars and guerilla actions, for many centuries, and still murder each other in the present, over Ideologies and Religions which, stated as propositions, appear neither true nor false to modern logicians -- meaningless propositions that look meaningful to the linguistically naive.”

Robert Anton Wilson

Every war results from the struggle for markets and spheres of influence, and every war is sold to the public by professional liars and totally sincere religious maniacs, as a Holy Crusade to save God and Goodness from Satan and Evil.

Robert Anton Wilson

The function of Theology? The recitation of the incomprehensible by the unspeakable to pick the pockets of the unthinking.

Robert Anton Wilson

If lawyers had been present on Mount Sinai, the Ten Commandments would have twelve hundred amendments, all summing to the conclusion: The rich may ignore the rules, the poor will be hanged if they violate the smallest subordinate clause.

Robert Anton Wilson

All gods are homemade, and it is we who pull their strings, and so, give them the power to pull ours.

Aldous Huxley

At least two-thirds of our miseries spring from human stupidity, human malice and those great motivators and justifiers of malice and stupidity: idealism, dogmatism and proselytizing zeal on behalf of religous or political ideas.

Aldous Huxley

"Religion is the most malevolent of all mind viruses.

Arthur C. Clarke

“I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side.”

Bill Hicks

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   
"Organized Religion is for the weak minded."

Governor Jesse Ventura, (I) Minnesota

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   
John Lovejoy Elliott:
I have known many good people who did not believe in God. But I have never known a human being who was good who did not believe in people. [language slightly modified]

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   
"You have to just marvel at the stun-gun absurdity of fighting to the death over what happens after you die"
- Dennis Miller

“I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo Galilei

Life is a job. You get $14.50 a day, but after you die, you have to pay for your sins. Stealing a hub cap is around $100. Masturbation is 35 cents (it doesn't seem like much, but it adds up). If there's money left when you subtract what you owe from what you've earned, you can go to heaven. If not, you have to go back to work. (Sort of like reincarnation -- many nuns are Mafia guys working it off.)
-- Father Guido Sarducci

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 05:51 AM
link   
"True religion is the life we lead, not the creed we profess." --Louis Nizer

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 06:14 AM
link   
I real minister of God would be poor and driving a pinto because money isn't the problem, it's what people do to get it.
*Solarskye*

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   
"On religion, many are destined to reason wrongly: other not to reason at all: and others to prosecute those who do reason."
Voltaire

"Time and again we see leaders and members of religions incite aggression, fanaticism, hate and xenophobia - even inspire and legitimize violent and bloody conflicts."
Hans Küng

"Religion is a byproduct of fear. For much of human history, it may have been a necessary evil, but why was it more evil than necessary? Isn't killing people in the name of God a pretty good definition of insanity?"
Arthur C. Clarke.

"Lighthouses are more helpful then churches."
Benjamin Franklin.

"Life can be beautiful, profound, and awe-inspiring, even without an irate god threatening us with eternal torment -- or god's self-appointed spokespersons imposing their various notions of proper god-subservient behaviors on everyone else".
Anon

"Religion is based . . . mainly on fear . . . fear of the mysterious, fear of defeat, fear of death. Fear is the parent of cruelty, and therefore it is no wonder if cruelty and religion have gone hand in hand. . . . My own view on religion is that of Lucretius. I regard it as a disease born of fear and as a source of untold misery to the human race."
Bertrand Russell

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   

"I have known many good people who did not believe in God. But I have never known a human being who was good who did not believe in people".
John Lovejoy Elliott

"You have to just marvel at the stun-gun absurdity of fighting to the death over what happens after you die"
Dennis Miller

Those two are great

[edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12]

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Sorry, deleted post.

Second line

[edit on 17-2-2009 by darcon]

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   
"We are all atheists about most of the gods humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further."
- Richard Dawkins (1941-)

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Sir Stephen Henry Roberts (1901-1971)

I saw that second one earlier. Both sum up the no-religion view well.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Knowledgeforall
I saw that second one earlier. Both sum up the no-religion view well.

Indeedy -very wise observations.

I enjoyed this quote about this photograph in the book 'Cosmos' by Carl Sagan -sums it up quite well.

Photograph of planet Earth taken by Voyager 1 which was 4 billion miles away:

Quote:

Ann Druyan suggest an experiment: Look again at the pale blue dot image. Take a good long look at it. Stare at the dot for any length of time and then try to convince yourself that God created the whole Universe for one of the 10 million or so species of life that inhabit that speck of dust. Now take it a step further: Imagine that everything was made just for a single shade of that species, or gender, or ethnic or religious subdivision. If this doesn't strike you as unlikely, pick another dot. Imagine it to be inhabited by a different form of intelligent life. They, too, cherish the notion of a God who has created everything for their benefit. How seriously do you take their claim?
Carl Sagan , Cosmos

Cheers.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   
"I do not consider it an insult, but rather a compliment to be called an agnostic. I do not pretend to know where many ignorant men are sure -- that is all that agnosticism means".
Clarence Darrow

""I have observed that the world has suffered far less from ignorance than from pretensions to knowledge. It is not skeptics or explorers but fanatics and ideologues who menace decency and progress. No agnostic ever burned anyone at the stake."
Daniel J. Boorstin.

"The mystery of the beginning of all things is insoluble by us, and I for one must be content to remain an agnostic."
Charles Darwin

"I have always considered "Pascal's Wager" a questionable bet to place. Any God worth "believing in" would surely prefer an honest agnostic to a calculating hypocrite."
Alan Dershowitz

"As to the gods, I have no means of knowing either that they exist or do not exist."
Protagoras 485-410 BC

"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."
Socrates 470-399 BC

“Q: What do you get when you cross an insomniac, an agnostic, and a dyslexic?

A: Someone who stays up all night wondering if there is a Dog.”
Groucho Marx

"If God kills, lies, cheats, discriminates, and otherwise behaves in a manner that puts the Mafia to shame, that's okay, he's God. He can do whatever he wants. Anyone who adheres to this philosophy has had his sense of morality, decency, justice and humaneness warped beyond recognition by the very book that is supposedly preaching the opposite".
Dennis McKinsey

"The philosophy of Atheism represents a concept of life without any metaphysical Beyond or Divine Regulator. It is the concept of an actual, real world with its liberating, expanding and beautifying possibilities, as against an unreal world, which, with its spirits, oracles, and mean contentment has kept humanity in helpless degradation".
Emma Goldman

"Atheism leaves a man to sense, to philosophy, to natural piety, to laws, to reputation; all of which may be guides to an outward moral virtue, even if religion vanished; but religious superstition dismounts all these and erects an absolute monarchy in the minds of men".
Francis Bacon

"My atheism, like that of Spinoza, is true piety towards the universe and denies only gods fashioned by men in their own image to be servants of their human interests".
George Santayana

"When I told the people of Northern Ireland that I was an atheist, a woman in the audience stood up and said, "Yes, but is it the God of the Catholics or the God of the Protestants in whom you don't believe?"
Quentin Crisp

"I cannot believe in a God who wants to be praised all the time."
Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

"The Bible has noble poetry in it... and some good morals and a wealth of obscenity, and upwards of a thousand lies."
Mark Twain

"The religion of the future will be a cosmic religion. It should transcend personal God and avoid dogma and theology. Covering both the natural and the spiritual, it should be based on a religious sense arising from the experience of all things natural and spiritual as a meaningful unity. Buddhism answers this description. If there is any religion that could cope with modern scientific needs it would be Buddhism".
Albert Einstein

"I cannot persuade myself that a beneficent and omnipotent God would have designedly created parasitic wasps with the express intention of their feeding within the living bodies of Caterpillars.
Charles Darwin

"What if God were not exactly truth, and if this could be proved? And if he were instead the vanity, the desire for power, the ambitions, the fear, and the enraptured and terrified folly of mankind?"
Frederick Nietzsche

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   

"The common dogma [of fundamentalists] is fear of modern knowledge, inability to cope with the fast change in a scientific-technological society, and the real breakdown in apparent moral order in recent years.... That is why hate is the major fuel, fear is the cement of the movement, and superstitious ignorance is the best defense against the dangerous new knowledge. ... When you bring up arguments that cast serious doubts on their cherished beliefs you are not simply making a rhetorical point, you are threatening their whole Universe and their immortality. That provokes anger and quite frequently violence. ... Unfortunately you cannot reason with them and you even risk violence in confronting them. Their numbers will decline only when society stabilizes, and adapts to modernity".
G Gaia

[edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12]

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   
I saw a member here use this one time I have no idea where it came from if he made it up but I got a laugh out of it.

Remember the Devil is the second baddest guy on the playground.

[edit on 19-4-2009 by Ant4AU]

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ant4AU
Remember the Devil is the second baddest guy on the playground.

I'd agree with that one:
dwindlinginunbelief.blogspot.com...

On a different note, found this interesting quote made by Albert Einstein:

"The religion of the future will be a cosmic religion. It should transcend personal God and avoid dogma and theology. Covering both the natural and the spiritual, it should be based on a religious sense arising from the experience of all things natural and spiritual as a meaningful unity. Buddhism answers this description. If there is any religion that could cope with modern scientific needs it would be Buddhism",
Albert Einstein

Cheers.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   
I recently heard a song (by the late great Nusrat Fateh Ali) that was based off this poem (by a 17th century Sufi poet), and it really struck me:

(Paraphrased somewhat, the original language was somewhat difficult for me):

If you cannot come in my comprehension, how can I accept that you are God?
You are an enigma.

If something falls into my understanding, how can that be God?
You are an enigma.

The "contradiction" appears to be there, but that is part of what God is.

I'd provide a link to the whole song, but there don't seem to be any translations of an acceptable level (they all seem childish and don't capture the original lyrics very well). Here is a youtube link to the whole song (as sung by Nusrat Fateh Ali). Even if you don't understand him, the guy sure can carry a beat

[edit on 19-5-2009 by babloyi]

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   
"That is the idea -- that we should all be wicked if we did not hold to the Christian religion. It seems to me that the people who have held to it have been for the most part extremely wicked. You find this curious fact, that the more intense has been the religion of any period and the more profound has been the dogmatic belief, the greater has been the cruelty and the worse has been the state of affairs. In the so-called Ages of faith, when men really did believe the Christian religion in all its completeness, there was the Inquisition, with all its tortures; there were millions of unfortunate women burned as witches; and there was every kind of cruelty practiced upon all sorts of people in the name of religion".
Bertrand Russell

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 08:22 AM
link   
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires."

Susan B. Anthony

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   
The great thing to remember is that, though our feelings come and go, His love for us does not.
C.S. Lewis

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   
"God is like a house and different religions are like ladders to reach that house"
~ Swami H. H. Shivkrupanand

"How can I believe in God when just last week I got my tongue caught in the roller of an electric typewriter?"
~ Woody Allen

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join