It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia to complete Iran nuclear plant in 2009

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Russia to complete Iran nuclear plant in 2009

in.reuters.com

Russia will complete Iran's first nuclear power plant in 2009, Itar-Tass news agency quoted the head of Russia's state nuclear corporation as saying on Thursday.

Russia has already delivered nuclear fuel under a $1 billion contract to build the Bushehr plant on the Gulf coast in southwest Iran. Russia has blamed previous delays on problems with receiving payment from Iran.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 03:32 PM
link   
These are similar to what will be in Venezulea in the future.

That is the future

This is the present

The Head of the Iranian Government, and thus, the body of the Iranian government is in line with him.

Do we really want Iran to have control over nuclear facilities?

Is the world a better place, With Russia putting atomic material DIRECTLY into the control of men like Hugo Chavez and Mahmoud Ahmadinejad?

Do we want AhmeDimInTheHead to have the bomb?
Heres

and that can speak alot better then i can on how the Iranian Government feels about the US...

That is the slogan of this man... If you want to go on a idea with me...

Here, as we just saw, Barrack Obama is rallying the people for 'change', and 'yes we can'...

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, is rallying his people around, 'Death to America'...

Thoughts?

in.reuters.com

[edit on 11/28/2008 by TKainZero]

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Yes.
If countries use nuclear fuel they aren't using oil, if they aren't using oil then the demand goes down and you can drive your Hummer coast to coast for a couple hundred bucks.
If you equate nuclear plants with nuclear weapons...well ok. I guess we could save money then by simply using a $50,000 missle to blow up a nuke plant in Iran and save our nukes for something bigger like plantet X or something.
Stop feeding into the "axis of evil" crap. If you lived outside of the United States you would think Bush is no different than Amedinejad. So do you and I deserve to get nuked because of these dicckheads?
If every country had a million nuke plants spread out over their country then I doubt they would be swinging their swords around too much.
think about it.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Res Ipsa

I agree that nuclear energy is FAR superiour then any carbon based fuel, but there are also Inherent Risks involed with nuclear-based reactors.

In the USA, for instance, i would be VERY HAPPY if we had a thousand Reactors located in the desolate badlands of America. Many countries should rely on Nuke Power, some do, France for a fine example. But some places i would rather not have messing around with platinioun and uranium, and nuclear isotopes...

I lived in Venezulea, under Hugo Chavez, and have friends there to this day. I have friends that lived in Egypt, Iran, The United Arab Emeriates, and Sudi Arabia. I'm not trying to put forth 'axis of evil' claims, just saying what i am seeing and hearing.

Bush is a duttering fool, but the US had Nukes about 4 generations before Bush was in power. But just because a few dummies have the power to destroy the world, doesnt mean the answer is MORE dummies with the power to destroy the world...

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   
my friend....
sure having nuke plants moves you closer to having nuke weapons but there are steps inbetween...complex ones, unless of course we can't defend against a cargo ship filled with nuclear waste from visiting our shores.
But when you have a nuclear power plant...you are vulnerable. Maybe Iran's Mullah's want to release...(I forgot their savior's name) but the rest of the world doesn't and if we wanted to you could get rid of the Mullah's and Iran's people would rejoice.
My answer to global peace and stability is to provide those that have nothing to lose.....with something to lose.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Global peace is something the world should strive for.

The leadership of Iran however is not doing anything remotely close to that.

The application of nuclear waste as a weapon may seem laughable, but, if it were to hit a water supply, i doubt that could be good...

Iran at this point, has no shortage of Fossil Fuels, and there is not point, or reason to rush in with dangerous technology, to regimes that are not stable.

In a year, maybe the new leadership comes in and makes Iran into Iraqs modern Twin... then, who knows... then maybe the idea of nuke power in Iran may not seem so bad...

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Oil is their commodity. They don't want to use what they can sell.
The Mullah's aren't going anywhere unless someone or somebodies take them out.
...we can't deprive a nation of cheaper energy....we can't tell another sovereign nation what to do (we shouldn't at least) we can apply pressure and then if it is unacceptable to us or whomever than we take what ever measures that are deemed necessary. Not saying that is wrong or right...it just is.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Just remember that Pakistan and India were also thought to be that way. It doesn't concern me as much as missing nuclear material from Russia would. And yet it's been several years since that was first claimed. Let them have their power plant. There's also one in South Africa with material in it. It's just a bargaining tool for more recognition as a super power.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   
gee, thanks aleon, you just made the op's point.
...a group of freaks tried to raid that nuke plant in Africa. I now officially reverse my position and agree with the op. No Nukes for Iran or Chavez or anyone else that can't secure them like the U.S. can and France and Israel and India and Russia and....sheit....I'm moving to Australia.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 08:30 PM
link   
My point is is that these terrorist organizations or whomever's behind them probably don't need to wait for Iran's power plants.

I don't believe America can stop Iran or Chavez from acquiring nuclear materials or missle protection by Russia for the right price. When Israel was producing their own nuclear weapons said to be around 100 now, did they even need a power plant? Just wondering.

The power plant in South Africa is apparently more vulnerable even if this event was "staged" or is being used as bait. My vote is still against taking these Iranian power plants out.

I don't see the U.S.A. doing a preemptive strike against these countries. But it may be more likely by Israel.

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Thanks for seeing my point... even if i am not as good with words as some people are...

I have no gripes with the People of these countries.

From everything i can read/feel/hear, the people of Iran and Venezuela HATE their presidents... these extreme presidents are not popular with their population...

The best thing the MODERN WORLD can do with these, is to leave them alone, and let the Constitution, and the voting in those countries correct themselves over time...

Neither of these petty wanta-be dictators have the power that Saddam had

Nuclear engery IS the simple energy soulution for the near modern world... but it comes with risks, and these risks must be weighed with the situation we are going to put them in.

A decade from now, Iran and Venezuela might BOTH be on the path towards joining the western world, right now they are not, and if i had to bet, i would say one of them will establish themselves as dictator for life, probaly Chavez...

The real issue here is Russia...
They are stirring up the world...

Russia IS restablishing allies in the Americas...
Chavez aims to be the Soviots Cuba...
Chavez models himself after Castro, and openly refers to him as his idol...

So while i would be happy to see nuke powerplants built in countries like, The US, Ireland, the UK, Spain, Italy, Australia, Japan, and so forth...

I however, will remain to be skeptical when power mad, quasi-dictators get this technology that they have no buisness messing with...

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 03:12 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKainZero

Russia has already delivered nuclear fuel under a $1 billion contract to build the Bushehr plant on the Gulf coast in southwest Iran.

The decision to build the BUSHehr nuclear power plant prompted the Secret Service to tighten security around the president. If I could only remember the link to the news source . . .

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by stander
The decision to build the BUSHehr nuclear power plant prompted the Secret Service to tighten security around the president. If I could only remember the link to the news source . . .

Please...

Expand on this...

I heard nothing of the sort..

My ears are open

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Mate its not good.
Iran wants to hide some weapons factory under the shield of there power generation.
Even here in Oz I hear of this talk as we dig up heaps of uranium.
I wouldn't think the Russian Federation would allow Iran to develop nuclear weapons.
But when they have a huge reactor, hopefully with a 100% fail safe, then maybe they can make one huge nuclear weapon at the same time??
I don't think the Ruzki's will let that happen.
I think we have to trust them a bit more now.
Chernobyl, the reason that happened is because the Russians used old designs that didn't have a containment.
At the same time Chernobyl happened the Americans were using safe Nuclear power with 100% fail safes.
A religious state should never be allowed anything dangerous.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Emmm who hates Chavez? he has held elections and won all of them,i think you will find the large percentage of the poor in venezuela would disagree with you on that...middle class and rich probably wont.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Solomons
Emmm who hates Chavez? he has held elections and won all of them,i think you will find the large percentage of the poor in venezuela would disagree with you on that...middle class and rich probably wont.

Look I like Venezuelans.
But Nuclear power is something that can kill us all.
Since then the Ruzki's build safe reactors like the yanks.
I guess the good old USA taught someone something again.

Im willing to learn, if a yank wants to teach me something, ill listen.

top topics

join