It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Current Intel Capabilities: Cell Phones

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I know someone who is in the military (not the US military) and they were stationed for a few months on a UN peacekeeping mission last year (never mind where).

In any case, one of his briefs was to serve in the Intelligence division, and he told me something very interesting about Cell phones.

Apparently the location of a person can be traced at any given time, even if their cell is off. In fact, if you genuinely don't want the Intel services to know where you are, you have to remove the battery and place it a couple feet away. The way this works is that the cell, even when off, is still trying to find a signal... something like that.

Other military ppl with an intel. background can probably confirm/debunk.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 07:01 PM
link   
This is very correct. When your phone is off, but battery still installed, it is still broadcasting to the nearest cell tower and network, enough info so that when you power up, the connection process does not take as long. Basically, the network knows that your ESN is still within the service cone(s) of specific cell towers.

If the battery is removed (which you should do once a week anyway), the phone will have to go through a reconnection process when you reinstall the battery.

If you are a "person of interest" to the intel community, your phone will have the right device installed inside it that uses it's own battery power.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   
No you don't have to place the battery a few feet away.
Just take it out.
No power = no phone.
They don't have an internal power source.
The cmos power source can not power the phone transmitter/receiver.
But its not the same for all phones.
It really depends.
I know they cant do this with all of them.
Because in some Police investigations I have read about, they could only Triangulate the persons position to an area.
They could not find the exact location.
And that is when the phone was on and being used.
I think if its switched off, depending on the type of device, they could not find you.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainCaveMan
No you don't have to place the battery a few feet away.
Just take it out.
No power = no phone.
They don't have an internal power source.
The cmos power source can not power the phone transmitter/receiver.
But its not the same for all phones.
It really depends.
I know they cant do this with all of them.
Because in some Police investigations I have read about, they could only Triangulate the persons position to an area.
They could not find the exact location.
And that is when the phone was on and being used.
I think if its switched off, depending on the type of device, they could not find you.

Most new phones especially blackberries, which I own a Blackberry Curve, have a GPS function. Though it is a usable feature for the user of the phone, im sure it could be triggered remotely and the information could be sent wherever. I don't think its able to be disabled in anyway so I think that if they want to use it they can.

Since its been awhile since I last used the feature, I can't recall the exact precision of it, but I think I recall the Longitude and Latitude info was accurate to a few meters, maybe 3.

Additionally, I went over it in length in another thread but there is only 1 form of communication that is still anonymous. It's done using blackberries with everything but the internet disabled and removed, as well as the microphone and speakers. You then sign up to an ecrypted e-mail service and register anonymously. Since the phone is never linked to your name, and your voice is never used, you can never be linked to that phone.

Believe it or not, they can and DO use voice recognition software to pick up your voice whenever you use ANY phone, the conversation is then recorded and cataloged for later human review.

Because your voice, and your name are never linked to the phone. You can communicate to anyone else using the same setup 100% anonymously. The encrypted e-mail services usually run in 256 bit encryption, but go upwards of 512. They say that that those levels of encryption can't be cracked. But where there's a will, there's a way.

After all, I would far rather them know where I am, than know what I am saying.

[edit on 24-11-2008 by king9072]

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I wonder if cell carriers and manufacturers cooperate with intel. services on a formal basis, maybe even put in layers of technology which will aid intel.

I also wonder whether other technology start-ups, eg Web start-ups, if they begin to gain market traction with their new products, eventually get a knock on the door from the NSA or whoever. I suspect this is probably so.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by eniac
I wonder if cell carriers and manufacturers cooperate with intel. services on a formal basis, maybe even put in layers of technology which will aid intel.

Thats one thing that is difficult to figure out. Here's an interesting scenario that I once experienced. A friend of mine was working for another mutual friend's companies. One of his co-workers stole the bosses credit card (our mutual friend). He then used the credit card to pay his cell phone bill with Rogers. Even with the police investigating, Rogers would NOT release the account information of the person who had used the credit card information. Me and my friend knew who had stolen the creditcard, because our mutual friend (the worker) was told by the theif that he had taken it.

So when you look at it that way it seems as if its fairly private.

The problem comes in when higher levels of government are investigating who have far greater powers, they can get anything they need. But on a local police level, I believe their powers are fairly limited.

[edit on 24-11-2008 by king9072]

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   
OMG

How many times does someone post?

My uncle/friend/dad with special clearance, or insider information etc...

Its not secret or hidden its right in your face, they are very very open about it!
This including the last pic of your bits you txt'd to your girl or vice versa, they see it all my friends!!!

It's not someone in the military leaking this, or special clearance stuff, it's not Current abilities either but has been around for years and years.

Please please look at my post here:

You ARE being TAPPED WATCHED and Monitored FULL STOP

From government ministers, European Parliment Court actions to stop it and other interesting links.

THIS POST IS BEING READ TOO !! really no paranoia just reality!

Look at my post above, look at the links and learn whats been not secret but in the public domain for decades.

Kind regards,

Elf

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by eniac

They have no choice but to install the code they are required to install. Just as Microsoft must include "certain" back door code......

join