It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Social-Networking for the Survivalist!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Fellow ATSers,

During the past few weeks I have noticed an interesting rise in activity regarding current ‘real world’ survival posts. People from all over are not only becoming increasingly aware of our current economic and socio-political rollercoaster ride, but are seeking guidance in case the proverbial SH*T hits the fan.

With a firm background/degree in tcom management, social networking sites, programming and networking -- I turn to you members of ATS, with a simple idea. Consider it, ‘SurvivalBook- social networking for when # hits the fan;’ placeholder name of course. Why not prototype an idea (or extension of ATS) in this thread?

What I envision is something that extends our community and directs it at a ‘situtation-x-esqe’ community planning and networking site; call it whatever you will-- give it the ATS brand.

Now, if you are sitting there with a blank stare on your face thinking, “Is this guy for real?”-- Consider how many people on a daily basis track their fantasy rosters, play absurd amounts of video games, escape into a reality that they find comfort in. The premier marketing spin for this site would allow those who (either for pretend or in all seriousness) would be interested in networking and establishing situational plans/back-up plans, meeting places and groups in case something ever went awry. How/to lists and documentation compiled from our very own forms; interactive maps with places of interest!

I’m currently in the brainstorming process of this project and need your help! The concept is to anonymously describe what you have to offer if in case the time comes; whether that be expert military advice, or a good conversation partner. So far for the template I’ve considered; however, I’m looking for more ideas and features!

Contact information would be limited. No names, pictures – simply a secure form of contact. (e.g. An e-mail account with proxy, a random P.O box, a prepaid sim phone card, etc..)

Primary Skills:
This section includes certifications, qualifications, previous experience,
(SCUBA, Licensed Paramedic, Retired Military, Architect, etc..)

Secondary Skills:
This section includes traits one has developed over the course of their life.
(Chef, Wilderness Survival, (Wood/Metal) Craftsmanship, Hunting, etc..)

Assets:
What the individual personally has available at their disposal.
(Transportation, Medical Stockpiles, Ammunition, Clothing, etc.)

Lastly, I’ll be honest with you – a part of me feels that the creation of a site like this would be a total waste of time, because nothing bad is really going to happen; however, the intelligent, rational side of me cannot help but say, “What if?”

What do you think?

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Hell,why not? Sounds like an informative site if you can pull it off. Where do I sign up?

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Sounds like a good idea. I'll give it a go. Contact; for now U2U.
Primary Skills; Registered Nurse
Secondary skills; Fair Gardener; Used to be a pretty good shot with a bow. I am one hell of a cook. Second Degree Black Belt.
Transportation. That's about it. Got a bow. a few shafts, a blow gun.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 10:47 PM
link   
I think it sounds like a good idea.
I dont know if I have alot of skills that'd be good for the SHTF situations but i can:
Sew simple things by hand like buttons, seams, etc,
knit,
cooking, including basic stuff like dried beans and rice and making them tasty
gardening. i'm not a pro at this but am willing to work and know weeds from plants

Am willing to learn, does that count?
I think I'm a good at conversation, at least my hubby thinks so

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 10:51 PM
link   
I think this is an awesome Idea.

A good site to organize and pool resources together and set local meeting points across the map for us to gather when SHTF.

Im for it you got my vote.

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 02:03 AM
link   
I don't know guys. This may be paranoia talking or common sense emerging but if we're going to give out personal stategic information like this, who knows who's going to be looking and what their motives may be. Personnally, I feel that most people I've read and/or paid attention too here at ATS would be welcome in my circle. That being said I'm not gonna fill out a form stating my current .223 ammo supply and latest MRE count along with a dossier of my skills. This info is on a need to know basis. Dig?
On the other hand, the safety in numbers cliche is undeniable here and shouldn't be overlooked as a possibility in all of our futures. This " survivalist networking idea" has one main crux and that's location, location, location. My fishing skills are mine and my kinds. I provide for those around me and proximity to me and distance to you, is what it is when the SHTF.
In my opinion people have to embrace the benefits of adopting the traditional extended family unit and ditch the nuclear family unit idea. Conventional traditional or non-conventional freaky" whatever your situation is, it's time to bond and unite with yours and develop into some form of group unit. Consolidate into a formidable unit of survivors with a common goal.
So in my opinion, we'd be giving out personal information for no reason other than to infom others of mine and your state of readiness. Unless you formed these groups with some common denomonator within your group would this ever have a chance of developing into something worthy enough to protect my children when I wasn't there.

Peace,
The Undertaker

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 03:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jhathaway
Fellow ATSers,
With a firm background/degree in tcom management, social networking sites, programming and networking -- I turn to you members of ATS, with a simple idea. Consider it, ‘SurvivalBook- social networking for when # hits the fan;’ placeholder name of course. Why not prototype an idea (or extension of ATS) in this thread?

What do you think?

They already exist, they are usually invite only closed circuit sites that operate on an invite only basis to stop spammers, loons, gun nuts, wannabes and armchairs from buggering up things. they have been around for at least 11 years in the UK, prior to that they were Postal, E mail and Fax operated systems. From those CC networkks the Mutual Support agreement concept came to being which is widely adopted by the more experienced and adult members of the preparedness community. And following from that RZs came to be along with messenger systems that dont rely on telicoms so we can still communicate if the web is taken off air.
Respects NR

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 04:12 AM
link   
Where I live, we already have a base set up.

its secluded and easy to defend.
we have drawn up plans for liven off the land., key defense locations.
and plenty of gunz!~
anyways , wen sit its the fan, every one is to go there .

currently working on a hue supply of canned foods, until the farms are set up.

call us crazy , but theres a bunch of us!!!

edit:

apparently my h key didn't work...

[edit on 22-11-2008 by LetsPlayFeedTheGater]

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 04:51 AM
link   
It would be great to be able to find people in my area that are like minded. I'd rather have more than immediate family working together in a SHTF scenario. I'd join but probably be fairly quite about my plans etc. unless I met people face to face for awhile.

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Excellent idea! I've seen alot of communities that run underground survival sites (such as ARK, ARK-II) and that being an area of interest of mine for many years, I decided to build my own urban survival info site.

I think your idea has a good place on my site which currently has survival gear, supply lists, first aid, "how to" videos and a blog where others can share their ideas.

Get in contact with me and let's discuss this further so it can become a reality, I do feel it will be of great importance to unite the urban survival community.

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 09:02 AM
link   
This is a wonderful idea. A great way to set up such a network.

But what if it's Govenment based I mean, what's to stop the Government was the one starting this? Not to say they are, but when the SHTF, they would exicute and persicute those like us first. Even an e-mail adddresss can be trased via IP Account.

Just being a bit of a Devil's Advocate.

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by The Undertaker

I whole heartedly concur......the last thing you want to do is give out your location and what arms you might have along with ammo count. It would be great to network with others in your city or county who are like minded when things start to get worse.

That being said.....once things got too far out of hand such as food riots, power outages, civil unrest and such.......do you really think the PTB will allow the internet to continue. It will be time (and now might be a great time to restart) to bring back the old Bulletin Board Type computer nets we used before Gore (humor intended) invented the internet. It would require the old dial up modems we all have in the closets and a phone line.
Just something to consider.......We have, and it still works great.

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Works for me too but is "Anarchist" a Primary Secondary skill???

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by LetsPlayFeedTheGater

Where exactly do you live?
I might crash over there with my daughter :p

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

I am thinking that would be a primary skill if done properly.......and with your USMC skills I am sure it is a primary.........You do know what Marine stands for right..........MY *ss rides in Navy equipment........

RM2 USN

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 10:05 AM
link   
well, there are many communities like this one. some info you can get on the following site:

www.howtosurvive2012.com...
take care

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 10:07 AM
link   
I should apologize-- I just replied anonymously and unfortunately it has not been verified yet; however, I will reiterate my overall points.

First and foremost, I'm very excited to see that this thread has at least stirred up constructive conversation- albeit, some of you still seem hesitant. For those of you who are still skeptical, I would like you to know that what I envision is simply a site that provides a networking utility for your family and friends, in order to communicate and develop a schedule/planner for disaster scenario events (bio-terrorism, wildfire, earthquake, etc..); however, it could also be used to develop various back-up plans within different networked circles- either anonymously or publicly. With a social-networking site such as this you have the option of creating multiple plans for a multitude of worst case scenarios. Not only would it act as a planner, but as a database of information regarding places of interest, places to avoid, survival guides and more! For example, please refer to this forum and imagine having all of that data (and more) consolidated into an interactive map for your friends and family to use.

I wont lie, FEMA scares me. The concept that one organization would have control over everything in case of an emergency leaves me feeling utterly out of control. I enthusiastically support people developing their own readiness plans is key.

Omega, Undertaker - Privacy would be key on a site like this, that's why I'm posting HERE to gather ideas on how to make it work. I'm not about to create something would the input of my community. If something bothers you, then how could we fix it? I'm very interested in any suggestions.

Lastly,

JkD up, I'm sorry but don't you understand that this is a planner for when the government/authority is out of control of the situation?
If # hits the fan, I don't want to be unprepared. That's all!

I need more ideas! Come on guys!

-JHathaway

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Czacza,

These sites still do not contain the kind of collaborative information I am aiming for. For example, I grew up in Hocking Hills in Ohio and as a child I would constantly be hiking through the woods with my family. I remember finding this place called Rock House near my home and told myself that if anything were to ever happen I would tell my friends and family to meet there! It is places like these that people could share with their 'network' of friends- not publicly, but with those they are establishing some sort of plan with. It's just an idea, but help me work out the kinks!

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 10:22 AM
link   
how to set it up is easy... first use a free host like this one Get Your Own FREE IPB Forum

next you have to plan out what Cat...you want...firearms, Shelter, food, Etc... better to preplan using some other forms as a guide but its really not that hard to turn into a webmaster...

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Don't get me wrong I think you have a very good idea and it would be adapted to meet contingincies as they come up. I would very much like to participate in such an exchange of information and knowledge........from my observations things are going to get considerably worse.....and it is up to "We the People" to make them better and get this nation and economy back and to deal once and for all with the roots of the problems. After all the true government of this USA is us.

So what is the frist step ?

<<   2  3  4 >>

join