It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there fluoride in soft drinks?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Since joining ATS I've started looking at the issues about water fluoridation, but there's a ton of information out there and I'm hoping someone more familiar with the material will be able to answer my question.

What water is used in bottling plants? I mean, all sodas and most juices are concentrates and water. Don't they get the water used from the same place as tap water? So isn't it already fluoridated?

And if so, how do you avoid fluoridation (other than drinking nothing but milk or soy milk)?

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Hello and to answer your question, YES, for the most part. I've looked into this alot and most of the soda manufactures use tap water to make the soda ans well as juice,beer ect... The tap has flouride in it so you can bet when your enjoying that coke or pepsi your getting you poison as well. Is nothing sacred anymore????

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

Thanks for replying

I sort of figured that had to be true, but I'd never seen it mentioned. Makes it really hard to avoid, though.

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by americandingbat

It does indeed. Even the 'organic' sodas - those that use organic sugar instead of cory syrup, which I recommend if you can get find any - use filtered water, but none say they are filtered for fluoride.

I got an elaborate fluoride filter for my kitchen and while it took the fluoride out - I had it tested - it made the water burn my throat and give me a headache. Finally I gave up and switched over to spring water in glass bottles instead of arrowhead/sparkletts etc. which are both vague about fluoride.

It costs twice as much, but I think it is worth it to have one water source that you know is clean from all chemical contaminents. The spring water is tested every 90 mins. and they regluarly publish the contents, so if you have it tested and it is not the same they are in breech.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 07:31 AM
link   
us water is really fluorided?

@twisi i got a water filter system for about 12 years now - couldn.t stay pregnant without.
this water is the only water i am able to drink just pure as it comes.

the symptomes you describe when drinking your tub water are the same i get when drinking the tub water here.
but germany still claimes that there is no water fluoriding!

salt is sold - beside health food and whole food stores - only as ioded and fluorided

if the water is usually fluorided and they clean old bottles with such water, no matter what other water they might use (and i don.t think they use other water for the sake of profites) there will remain traces of fluorided or other substances i don.t want to have in my drink at all

it really sucks

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 09:18 AM
link   
only America and Australia use it in their water supply so eurpean beer and drinks should be safe unfortunately i dont live there

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by orange-light
us water is really fluorided?

I think almost all municipal water supplies in the US are fluoridated, yes

salt is sold - beside health food and whole food stores - only as ioded and fluorided

Our normal salt is iodized (but not fluoridated as far as I'm aware). But it's also easy to get Kosher salt, which is not iodized, and reasonably easy to find Sea Salt even in large chain grocery stores (here anyway; that might not be true in other parts of the country).

[edit on 2/10/09 by americandingbat]

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 07:46 AM
link   
What about milk?

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Wisen Heimer

Do you mean, "does milk have fluoride?" or "Why not drink milk instead?"

If the first, my guess is that if it does, the levels are much lower than in water or water-based drinks. Certainly the cows would be drinking water with fluoride if that's what comes out of the tap in the area that they are. But what percent of the fluoride they consume would be expressed in their milk, if any, I don't know.

If the second, I suppose there are lots of reasons. I'm just not that fond of milk, and I drink a good 2-3 quarts of water a day. Replacing it with milk isn't very practical.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
@dingbat

and milk is no drink it is a nourishment
therefore you can.t substitute the water by milk

you can buy organic softdrinks in germany in health food stores.
i don.t know about the us and how strict the rules for organic food are at your place but i guess in germany they had to lable it if iod and fluoride would be in an organic drink or food.

but on the other hand i really don.t trust food-industry!

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Yes:

Pittsburgh Post - Gazette
Dec 6, 1999
by LEE BOWMAN

In the November issue of the Journal of the American Dental Association, researchers from the University of Iowa said 71 percent of more than 300 soft drinks they tested contained fluoride levels of more than 0.60 parts per million, which is within the recommended range.

"There's no labeling of fluoride content on these drinks, and in fact, we found a lot of variation in the content depending on where it was produced and bottled, even within the same company for the same product," Heilman said.

Of 332 cans and bottles bought from grocery stores around Iowa, fluoride concentrations ranged from 0.02 ppm to 1.28, with an average level of 72. The U.S. Public Health Service says the optimal concentration of fluoride in water to prevent decay is 0.7 to 1.2 ppm.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.
Source

And I'd imagine it's in beer, too, which is much more worrying.

Like buying European cheeses to avoid bovine growth hormones (they're banned there), this is another reason to avoid domestic products. Hooray, America.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ian McLean
And I'd imagine it's in beer, too, which is much more worrying.

Like buying European cheeses to avoid bovine growth hormones (they're banned there), this is another reason to avoid domestic products. Hooray, America.

Hmm ... I don't suppose that the brewing/fermentation process would remove it, huh? Because it would be a bummer not to drink some of the better microbrews for fear of fluoride, if it wasn't actually there.

Not that it makes any difference to me anymore, but I'm concerned for the rest of you

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Milk probably has flouride in it too. They do something to make sure its "clean" or whatever. So they probably treat it with flouride...

man... you cant really not drink flouride... apparently Ive been drinking it my whole life. I think Im just going to stop worrying about it. Theres nothing I can really do. :w:

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   
What about UK, fluroide in our water!?

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

Hi Phoenix

As far as I can tell it depends on where you are in the UK, though as recently as Sept. 2008 they seem to be pushing to make it universal.

Here's a list from February of 2008 of all the areas where the water was fluoridated at that time.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by americandingbat
reply to post by _Phoenix_

Hi Phoenix

As far as I can tell it depends on where you are in the UK, though as recently as Sept. 2008 they seem to be pushing to make it universal.

Here's a list from February of 2008 of all the areas where the water was fluoridated at that time.

Hmm don't see london in that list.
Here's a website I found, you can type in your post code to find out about the water in your area, pretty cool. This is for UK thou not US.
www.thameswater.co.uk...

It says I have 0.142 ppm fluoride in my water, I have no idea how much that is, I think it might be the natural amount?

Anyway here's an interesting article on fluroide in the UK, with comments.
www.timesonline.co.uk...

[edit on 19-2-2009 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_

It says I have 0.142 ppm fluoride in my water, I have no idea how much that is, I think it might be the natural amount?

That's possible, since Ian's source said that the US Public Health Service recommends 0.7 to 1.2 ppm, or basically five to ten times the amount in your water.

Lucky you

And thanks for the additional links.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by americandingbat

That's possible, since Ian's source said that the US Public Health Service recommends 0.7 to 1.2 ppm, or basically five to ten times the amount in your water.

Lucky you

And thanks for the additional links.

Hmm yes I guess, but for how long haha.

The water doesn't taste that great tho, unless I filter it. It tastes like chemicals and metal.

Is that something else or fluoride? hmm I wonder.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   

The water doesn't taste that great tho, unless I filter it. It tastes like chemicals and metal.

Is that something else or fluoride? hmm I wonder.

Probably chlorine? And maybe all sorts of other nasty stuff?

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I would personally avoid all soft drinks ,not just due to the fluoride neuro-toxin but worse than that ---ASPERTAME.I would add some links on this but I'm late for work so have to rush,sorry.Google it.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join