It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 461
<< 458  459  460    462  463  464 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Averaging the high I saw and the low...

Lets see now...Hmmm...and down she goes... :shk:

Damm them all to hell...Spock!!! Bones!!!

Fell pretty close to that spread...I was watching the higher head fake into the closing run and profit taking ran it down

Dow Jones Industrial Average 9,370.07 4:03pm ET Up 113.81 (1.23%)

[edit on 8/7/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

I'd say fromuncle & stander both came off pretty well.

...But make sure you don't have any amber liquid in your mouth when you read the following article. It's too mind blowing to post a quote; just take a deep breath, then read the first paragraph:

You were warned

Parallel universe...

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Hex, which line would you go by?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/93241e821966.jpg[/atsimg]

Hey, don't tell anyone, but that Goldman is straight about stuff as the green lines: "Don't give me any lecture about Bollinger bands EMAs or any other crap. Save this for the moment when I kick your ass out of here and you go back teaching economics at Loyola. Where are we gonna be at 4 pm?"

Abrasive fella, ain't he?

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by RolandBrichter

Originally posted by GreenBicMan

Well, if I am being hasty from day 1 on this thread I think I said I hate people being misinformed/mislead and I would be here to try to clean that up. Seems like most of that is gone, and seriously I really dont mind the opinion, but when I think it is pretty much made up/outright lie - then I logically in my mind must write off a lot of what he says

Funny, I feel the same way about a lot of what you post....the term "pumper" comes to mind.....at least guys like KD link their opinions to actual economic numbers, as opposed to EVERY MSM bubblevision source that can only yell "GREEEEEN SHOOOOTS!!!!!"...

Yes, he can be dramatic, but when you combine what he is trying to impart with other very respectable sources outside the bankster's control, he is spot on.

BTW, he started his public warnings during the tech bubble because what the market was doing had no correlation to reality..(sound familiar????)...and he called that collapse as well...if you paid attention to him like I did back then, odds are you would have saved yourself a nice chunk of change...you might do well to listen to him this time.

[edit on 5-8-2009 by RolandBrichter]

If pumper = money maker thats cool

I pumped FAS from single digits to over 70 a share BAC C SIRI QQQ Shorted SKF at 150 I could go on and on..

Yeah, I pump pretty well apparently, and if thats what pumping is I would be thinking you love the pump

Of course you could go back through my media page and look at all my charts and my calls and post them here since you love my posts so much but I doubt you will do that.

While most try to keep talking the market down, that is all it is, talk. The technicals no doubt are telling us we are heading for R2. What we do from there will be very interesting.

THE 50 AND 200 EMA's ARE CROSSING SOON MY FRIENDS, ON ANOTHER COMPUTER SO MIGHT NOT BE ON FOR A WHILE..

NOTE ALSO THAT BANKS FELL AT END OF DAY AS WELL AS GS... FOOD FOR THOUGHT.. later!

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by stander

Ya got me there Stander... :shk:

They picked their battleground early today...

Seems it's at open or lunchtime these days eh?

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Hi folks,

I haven't read or participated in this thread as of yet ...

... but I just ran into this interesting analysis and thought I would share it with you:

seekingalpha.com...

Perhaps it is relevant to your discussion.

My apologies if it is not.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by GreenBicMan

Rumor had it you were at a Goldman Sachs party yesterday .. Yes, Stander found out your REAL identity gbm...

reply to post by schrodingers dog

Welcome then, the thread that boast the most intelligent economic minds on ATS. (We like to think this, just go along with it)

We live in an era were we loose jobs and unemployment goes down .. I also heard the Government successfully crossed a pig with a pigeon and pigs will soon be flying across towns all over America. Market crashes? I am not so sure anymore!

*fixed a few mistakes that made no sense.. thats what I get for writing two replies to two different threads at the same time....*

[edit on 8/7/2009 by Rockpuck]

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963, Pause

I'm going to have to go grab me one here in a minute I'll pick one up to drink for you too Pause I'll be sure to poor some out for the homies.

Those pictures you posted were awesome by the way! That was good for a

I also just got done sacrificing another cockroach to the market gods and they said that the DJIA will continue to rise till it hits 50,000!!!

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Hastobemoretolife

Luckily the economy is not so bad that it's effected city festivals.. I will be at the wine/brew/food festival tonight .. the best wineries, breweries, and freshest sea food! If there is one thing the weathers all recessions and depressions... it's food and beer.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Got that right, might be time to invest in Smirnoff though because when the tax increases get here that will be the good stuff.

Gordon's Vodka will be for the everyday drown your sorrows. Nothing better than cheap vodka in a plastic bottle.

That sounds like fun. That is what is great about living on the coast always get fresh seafood. Not to mention if you get hungry just cast a line out and see what else is hungry looking for dinner too be dinner.

Speaking of wine did you hear about the crooks that tried to steal a $20,000 bottle of 40 years old Rothschild? Don't remember exactly what it was a cheatue or something like that.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Is this a Re-Pete?

Edit: Man...warm beer clouds the mind sorry schro...

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Hi s_d. You seem to have an eye for a good article. Thanks.

A quick intro to the md thread:

We try to figure where the market is heading, based on anything from investigative journalism to the movements of the planets. (It's up to you to decide who relies on what methodology.)

We also cover economic stability - anything from from prospects for business and banking (and thus employment) to government spending plans.

Most know more about one or other of the above, a few cover the whole picture. A common theme is the increasingly astonishing disparity between the fundamental strength of the economy and movements in the stock market.

Some (particularly the man/woman-in-the-street types + an assortment of independent-minded academics) are concerned that this decoupling along with unbridled government spending may be creating the conditions for a crash the like of which the world has never seen. Reading such posts is often enhanced with a bowl of popcorn.

Others (young, happy-go-lucky life-is-short types with gangsta rap blaring through their headphones
+ level-headed academics with nerves of steel) trade over the net with one hand and type with the other, making a (?temporary?) fortune as they ignore the warnings of impending doom.

One or to fit into both camps. Of this final group one in particular might just be George Soros seeking to maintain anonymity via a youthful online persona.

It's a motley crew. Funny thing is you can read something here & see the fulfillment days, weeks, even months down the line. (A few days ago an august member of the team noticed that a new thread with a gazillion flags was based on something he'd pointed out in here months ago. *you know who you are: don't blush* )

So welcome. You'll be surprised how much mirth comes out of the discussions.

If you ever read something in a post that's too technical, let the poster know & ask questions. This isn't a clique. It's a service for everyone in the GM forum.

So please drop by any time.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by pause4thought

WOW...

And you didn't offer him a coupon for the up-coming Golden Slacks, "Here's yer Wad", Picnic and Isle buying outing?

WTH?

My Mom said I could of been a teacher also, but, I was afraid of what all that money might of done to me... :shk:

And here we go...Popcorn Alert!!!

Failed Bank List
www.fdic.gov...

Community National Bank of Sarasota County Venice FL 27183 August 7, 2009

First State Bank Sarasota FL 27364 August 7, 2009

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   

MMM... BEER TIME!!!!

Alright place your bets, how many banks fail today? I'm in for 4, because the unemployment numbers were better than expected.
:shk:

That really makes my stomach churn.

I wonder if Colonial is going to pop up on that list tonight?

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   

...you didn't offer him a coupon for the up-coming Golden Slacks, "Here's yer Wad", Picnic and Isle buying outing?

Don't worry, he'll still be eligible to attend the annual prize-giving.

Hey, Hx, it's been some time since you gave us a low-down on the state of the Asian markets. Fancy a bit of research while you can still hold a keyboard?

Only four?

Green shoots.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Good Man!!!

Averages have been what 4-6 as of late...good guess!

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by stander
reply to post by Rockpuck

These are the pearls decorating the times of present:

Aug. 7 (Bloomberg) -- Congress sent President Barack Obama an emergency measure giving $2 billion to the “cash for clunkers” discount program, which lawmakers said was helping ailing automakers and the U.S. economy.

www.bloomberg.com...

Why would this environmentally-oriented idea be called "an emergency measure?"

Click on the link above to find out . . .

Too late. Bloomberg updated the news and re-phrased the 1st paragraph the way that the word "emergency" disappeared.

Newspapers used to be relatively good evidence of what was going on. Internet articles can be "updated" any time when the White House instructs so or when a blogger needs to shift his "end of days" prophecy further to the future.

There is really nothing like a hard copy on the Internet. It's a medium that opens its arms to any manipulation there is.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by pause4thought

You asked

BOJ is still predicting +2 yrs of hardships...I'm not really sure what they can do at this point...exports are shot...cars are shot...nowhere to drop a .1% interest rate...

China is fearing a equity market bubble now and is about to withdraw maybe 70% of their "lax lending"...this leads to Baltic Dry levels to drop as China is drawing down on it's Coal/Steel/ect...still lots of civilian employment problems, contrary to media reports...

SK...still lots of civilian employment problems, contrary to media reports...just got 7k workers to leave a embattled car factory in the promise to restart operations...iffy at best...

Taiwan & HK both are still on the leashes of Japan and China and can move 3%-5% in a matter of hours depending on which way the wind blows...

As far as Asia being the economic engine firing up the rest of us...not...most are in the same shape, some worse with an angered civilian population...

Sound familiar?

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by pause4thought and Hx3_1963

Green shoots? No, that is what is growing in Obama's garden.

Yea, seems like that should be "better than expected".

Gangsta gov coming to a city near you!

Actually I'm surprised the markets didn't do as well as I thought they were going to today. They went up 133 pts. which is "good" but it isn't anything out of the ordinary, then again though what has been the ordinary.

It's like ever since the tech bubble the markets just run all the way up then it's like they fall off the edge of a cliff.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   
All right all you alcoholics, I just got back home, pass a few this way, shots of Jack with a cold beer chaser work for me! Boilermakers are still the best!

Didn't see these reports listed, so....

Freddie Mac Reports Q2 loss of 11 cents per share

Summary

* Net income for the second quarter of 2009 was $768 million. After the dividend payment of $1.1 billion to the U.S. Department of the Treasury on the senior preferred stock, net loss per diluted common share was $0.11 for the quarter.
* Net worth at June 30, 2009 was $8.2 billion. As a result of the positive net worth, no additional funding from the U.S. Department of the Treasury was required under the terms of the Senior Preferred Stock Purchase Agreement for the second quarter. The positive net worth includes a $5.1 billion increase to total equity reflecting the April 1, 2009 adoption of FSP FAS 115-2 and FAS 124-2 relating to accounting for security impairments.
* The second quarter 2009 results were primarily driven by:
o Net interest income of $4.3 billion;
o Gains on the company's derivative portfolio and guarantee asset of $4.2 billion, mainly related to net mark-to-market gains due to increases in long-term interest rates;
o Net impairment of available-for-sale securities recognized in earnings of $2.2 billion, also reflecting the adoption of FSP FAS 115-2 and FAS 124-2; and
o Provision for credit losses of $5.2 billion.
* Freddie Mac continued to support the recovery of the housing market. During the second quarter of 2009, the company:
o Provided $171 billion of liquidity to the mortgage market, helping to finance more than 720,000 single-family homes and nearly 100,000 units of rental housing;
o Helped refinance approximately 28,500 loans under the Freddie Mac Relief Refinance Mortgage(SM); and
o Helped approximately 45,000 borrowers stay in their homes or sell their properties, including approximately 16,000 borrowers who were placed in trial period payment plans under the Home Affordable Modification program.

And yet, FNM +25% AH despite announcing $14 billion Q2 loss

There is NO LOGIC in what is happening in the markets these days!!!!

KD (like him or hate him) did a really good piece on the Consumer Credit Report & the De-leveraging going on Here

Looking ahead, FORD says it's going to thry to halve it's number of suppliers

And how's about a retail recap??

Saks same store sales DOWN 16.3% in July
JC Penney same store sales fell 12.3%
Nordstrom same store sales fell 6.9%
Costco reported Thursday that its same-store sales dropped 7 percent in July
Gap Inc., which operates stores under its namesake, Banana Republic and Old Navy, posted an 8 percent decline in same-store sales.
Wet Seal reported a 12.1 percent drop
Stage Stores posted an 11.9 percent drop
Limited Brands Inc., which operates Victoria's Secret and Bath and Body Works, said same-store sales fell 7 percent.
Abercrombie July same-store sales falls 28 percent
Macy's July same-store sales fall 10.7 percent
Gymboree reports same-store sales fell 1 percent in July
Dillard's July same-store sales fall 12 percent
Signet Jewelers 2nd-quarter same-store sales slip 5.3 percent
The Children's Place July same-store sales fall 4 percent
Stein Mart July same-store sales fall 5.5 percent
Buckle July same-store sales rise 2.8 percent

top topics

<< 458  459  460    462  463  464 >>

join