It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

putting a pet to sleep

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Hello all

I was looking for a little guidance etc here for a problem that i have.

Kassy, out 8 yr old German Shepherd has arthritis and has to have medication for this along with a perpetual ear infection that also has to be treated.

My problem is that from Nov 1st teh vets can start to charge for just a written prescription. This will take the cost of Kassys upkeep to approx £60 a month. Plus the cost of any required vet consultations when they deem it necessary

Basically we are skint, an IVA on the way, probably, and Heather is due to go on maternity leave at the end of October. I don't know how long we can afford the vet bills. If we can't, Kassy doesn't get her meds and is in pain.

my question is

from a Biblical standpoint, How does the euthanasia of pets stand with God?

thanks

David

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Hey there i see you are in the UK, another option for you might be to give her to a dog home that would take on an ill pet,

I feel for you its a horrible place to be in for you,

I hope everything works out for you,

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by drevill

Ask yourself How do you feel about this???? I changed my post as I was saying to leave God out of this.. But if all that fantasy land helps you get threw then so be it.. Who am I to tell you.. So I changed my post a little bit to reflect my empathy on your dealings here.

Honestly.. If you are going to have a pet, its your job to take care of that pet! ITs a shame that people get pets and just put them down because they can not afford the pet..

If that is the case.. DONT ever get a pet again!! Please dont do that to those poor little creatures! They have a soul, and feelings!

IF your pet is in extream pain, and is not living a life that would be what some of us to consider to be a "good" life.. Then you should find the pet a loving home, or someone who can handle it..
DONT PUT THE PET DOWN for gods sake!! my god man!!!!

Pets to some are like children.. Would you put down your son or daughter becasue of a problem that could be fixed?

Theres so much more you are over looking, because you bring God into this issue..
People seem to forget to have faith in themselfs.
And have faith in their own good judgement!!!

Belive in yourself, and love those that care about you!
Pets and humans alike!!!

Im sorry you are going threw this.. AS I have had many many pets.
And all of them costed me alot of money.
But you know what.. it was my job to take care of them.

I took them in, and its up to me to take care of them as I would take care of a human being!!!

Animals need to be treated as good as we would treat humans..

But sadly enough, people in this world cant even treat other human beings with empathy and compassion.. So its very hard to expect people to treat their pets in such a matter..

I hope everything goes well for you, and your beloved pet makes it threw.
But dont put it down simply because of money issues.
Get another job.. Do what you have to do.. its a member of your family.

And thats something you would have to face, by looking at yourself in the mirror each day..

I know in my heart I can look myself in the mirror each day and know my pets love me with all their little hearts.. And I love them the same!

Pets do not judge, they do not do many things we as humans befall..

WE can learn alot from out pets..
I wish you the best!

8 years is not that old for a pet... Now I could see you wanting to put the pet down if it was like 16+!
But most my pets have lived up to 20 years!!!
Thats right 20 years most my dogs lived!! becasue I have done everything in my power to take great care of them..
And yes, I went without much to offer them much more!!!

Ive gone without getting a new pair of shoes.. Or going out to dinner every night..
having a pet is a personal sacrifice! And if you can not sacrifice that part of your life.. You should not own a pet..
Not directed at you OP.. but in general.. ya know what I mean?

Edit--- Changed my tone a little bit.. But I dont understand why people use GOD and faith as an escapegoat on so many issues???
I know what helps me.. and I belive in myself.. And have Faith in my own good will to people, and animals alike.

Dont just kill it becasue you can no longer afford to care for your pet.
Find some nice old lady or a nice old man that will give it a loving home.

You claim to be religious.. Yet you are thinking about putting down an animal who has been a part of your family for this long..
That just doesnt make an ounce of sense to me..
But then again, most you religious folks dont make much sense to me.
Yet if it helps you get threw this wicked world.. So be it..
I can not talk any sense into you.. But I can give you some good advice about pets, and how you should be twords this animal if you truely do care for it as a part of your family...

DUDE??? Seriously? Why are you asking such a question?
I think its comman sense.. Its murder!!!
WHy ask how it stands with GOD.. How does it stand with you? Are you okay with murder? Of a dear family member?
That animal counts on you David! And its your job to care for your family member! Get a second job.. Or find it a loving home. As I have to question how much you really care about this animal of yours when you make a thread asking how GOD feels about it.. What a shame..

Why do you folks always put so much into GODS hands.. When GOD gave you a mind.. and a heart.. I suggest you USE IT.
And stop using GOD as your personal escapegoat!!!

[edit on 11-10-2008 by zysin5]

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   
We have a responsibility to the pets we bring into our lives and into our homes. Mine is a member of my family, and I will do whatever is needed to keep her safe, healthy, and happy.

That being said, her quality of life is the most important thing. If she ever got sick and was in constant pain and suffering, I would put my feelings aside and do what was best for her.

With your situation, 8 years is not old and arthritis is common. It is a condition that can be treated and the dog can live a relatively normal life. I also understand the money aspect of your situation, but I would not put the dog down just because I could no longer afford to care for it.

If I were you, and there was absolutely no way to keep and care for the dog properly, I would search high and low for a new family for the dog. Ask the vet for help. Ask a local animal shelter for help.

It is one thing to put an animal to sleep to end its suffering. It is another to put an animal down just because you can no longer afford to care for it. There are other options, and those need to be looked into and exhausted before going to the extreme measure of putting your pet to sleep.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   
My heart goes out to you, because of the decisions you will have to now make. It won't be easy, but it'll be okay.

The person above is wrong - always factor God in to everything. Situations change and what you have today can be gone tomorrow, with the blink of an eye.

My dog had hip and ear problems too. He was a dobermann named "boy" and his life expectancy was only 8 years but he managed to hang on til he was almost 14. The vet would give him steroids, which would help a bit, with his rear-end but last winter, the vet wanted me to put him down and refused to give any more drugs. Everyone in my family (husband & kids) wanted him put down - but I couldn't do it. He was my dog and during his entire life - I'm the one who cared for him.

The vet and my familes arguement was the "quality" of life he would lead. Even though my dog had problems walking down stairs, getting up and down and towards the end lost sensations of going to the restroom - his mind was still there, completely in tact - he knew it and I knew it, and I told everyone, that God will take him, when he's ready.

Boy died on August 15th. Less than two months away, he would have been fourteen years old. He was like a kid and unlike a kid he never spoke back to me.... and he was always faithful.

I don't know what the life expectancy is for a GS. My dog never ever cried in pain. It's possible he lived with it so long, he grew tolerant of it. But he's gone and I know he's in a better place and I'm at peace with my decision. But you need to prepare yourself, that if you do decide to let nature take it's course - it's a heck of aride witnessing their little broken bodies shutting down. It's heartbreaking and it's messy.

What has your vet said about quality of life or what recommendations is he making? Unlike you, at the time, I didn't have a baby on the way, but I found out yesterday, I'm going to be a grandma for my first time. My dog was a carpet dog and had I had a small baby going to be crawling over my floors - I don't know that I would have did things the same way, for sanitary reasons.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 09:07 PM
link   
this happened to my Rottweiler when he was 9 we found a vegetable supplement called 'yucca powder' gave it to him and he miraculously got better as though nothing had ever been wrong with him,and he lasted well for five more years . WE finally had him eutahnized at the age of 14. We had a vet come to our home and do it. He fell peacefully to sleep at my feet, Hope this helps

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 09:56 PM
link   
thanks for the comments everyone.

i am aware of my responsibility and kassy is like one of the family.

and whilst i can understand them, other than myself, no one her on ATS is fully aware of our situation.

there was a couple of things said that i will take away.

Also, we have been offered some help with the vet bills, whilst this is not yet needed it will be welcome should the time come that we do.

perhaps my OP wasn't as clear as it could have been. My OP was thus.

with money concerns, i had worried about Kassy, Euthanasia was amongst our concerns. Ergo this led me to question what Gods view would be of this. This was basically a faith question on that subject, not to mean that i was going to put my dog to sleep.

sorry all

david

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by drevill

...help with the vet bills...
If you know what kind of medicine your dog needs, you can order the meds online and skip the bills. That's what my ex-girlfriend used to do. Seemed to work for her.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 10:14 PM
link   
if you do an online search for the Yucca Powder and buy it it's cheap you won't be having any vet bills we didn't , we took the dog to the vet the vets treatment didn't work three days after we started on yucca powder he was fine Yucca Powder=five more HAPPY years for your dog ,FIVE YEARS LATER IT COST US 150.00.to put him to sleep. The company is called Solid Gold

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 10:16 PM
link   
hello

its only available by prescription, we do buy online but the government but a stop on charging for writing a prescription but from the 1st of November this is lifted.

the robbing Vets from the 1st of November are going to charge almost £15.00 just to write a prescription.

david

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 11:09 PM
link   
This is sad and I dont know the answer to this qyestion.

[edit on 11-10-2008 by JesusisTruth]

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Look into natural remedies first and foremost.

And pray to God to leave the decision up to Him, pray for an answer. Pray for a specific answer, and rely on the Holy Spirit you have inside you to reveal that answer.

Works for me every time. Trust God alone for that answer.

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 03:15 AM
link   
glucosamine.

"sasha's blend" is a pet treatment with glucosamine and shark cartilage amongst other things, it helps with arthritis.

theres also some stuff called "pain away" that comes in a spray bottle. its emu oil, eucalyptus oil, ethanol, and a bunch of other stuff.
various footy players swear by it and are not paid for saying so.

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 03:26 AM
link   
hello

we have on this and condritin also but it hasnt helped much

thankyou though

david

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 04:35 AM
link   
reply to post by drevill

David, I hope you are well. I see the problem here and I think the answer has already been given to you but you needed to have a second opinion from this thread.

I agree with the post that said this:

from NOTurTypical
Look into natural remedies first and foremost.

And pray to God to leave the decision up to Him, pray for an answer. Pray for a specific answer, and rely on the Holy Spirit you have inside you to reveal that answer.

Works for me every time. Trust God alone for that answer.

I think the word 'Love' applies to all of God's creatures doesn't it? The ultimate love is to love and cherish the sick and dying until it is time for God to take them away from these mortal coils. Leave the death to the same Force that created this life that has shared your Love.

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 09:50 AM
link   
you know they have pain pills. you might have to force the dog to eat them, but basically if you have one. I dont think it is safe to give dogs aspirine or human aspirine though. but basically get a pain pill form your doctor and open the dogs mouth, put the pill in its mouth and close its mouth with your hand and then blow in its nose. and make sure the dog doesnt yack them back up...

Originally posted by drevill
Hello all

I was looking for a little guidance etc here for a problem that i have.

Kassy, out 8 yr old German Shepherd has arthritis and has to have medication for this along with a perpetual ear infection that also has to be treated.

My problem is that from Nov 1st teh vets can start to charge for just a written prescription. This will take the cost of Kassys upkeep to approx £60 a month. Plus the cost of any required vet consultations when they deem it necessary

Basically we are skint, an IVA on the way, probably, and Heather is due to go on maternity leave at the end of October. I don't know how long we can afford the vet bills. If we can't, Kassy doesn't get her meds and is in pain.

my question is

thanks

David

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Hi so sad to hear (my keyboard is messing up)

it is painless for the animal so you know
from working with pets and observing i mean
they just slowly pant and pass
the vet should let you stay and pet and comfort your loved one

coincidentally i have no experience with this medication but i have a good feel about the commercial showing dogs who used to could not walk all of a sudden running and jumping

before and after videos

here is the site address for petmeds if you want to try that option for a few months before the big decision www dot nopainspray dot com

it is called doctor franks

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Whenever I make a decision, I try to base it on karma.

Just think of the Golden Rule. If you were a dog, how would you want to be treated by the people you loved? I would want my people to give me the best life that they possibly could, and then when a good quality of life was no longer possible, I would want them to help me die with dignity, surrounded by those who love me.

When considering quality of life, I mean the animal's, not mine. If I have to clean floors, or give medication, or clean a wound... that's something I should do willingly, out of love. If my animal friend could no longer do the things he or she used to enjoy and was in pain that could not be helped, then I would not want to prolong their suffering.

God, however you view him/her, would probably want a person to make a decision based on love and compassion. I think as long as the decision was purely unselfish, with the animal's best interests truly at heart, God would understand. I have been there for my girls (my dogs and cats) through illness (theirs and mine), injury (theirs and mine) and general bad times, and they have been there for me. We have helped each other through so many experiences, that it seems perfectly natural and important that we would help one another through the ultimate experience of death, if the need arose.

Best of luck to you with your dog. I hope that you don't have to make any difficult decisions any time soon.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 04:00 PM
link   
The bible does'nt say anything about killing pets. But I think this pray first. And second if you have the money to take care of the pet do it. as long as the pet can live a good health and pain free life. Its your job to take care of the pet. Thats why you got it in the first place. But if the pets is in pain and is always in pain and does'nt have a good life then I think its your job to kill the pet. Its not your job to give the pain feeled God to some else to kill either.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 04:05 PM
link   
even though many say its cruel to put your pet to sleep.. i would say giving it away would be worse. dogs become very depressed when they are taken from an owner that they have grown to adore.
i would say stick it out for as long as you can and try to spend quality time with her. i've had to put to sleep 3 dogs... and it is seriously the worst things i have went through... and i have been through a lot.

follow your heart with this one. think about if you were in all of that pain and what you would want to be done to you? would you rather be put in a home where no one ever visited you?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join