It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are scammers allowed to make books and appear on television?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 12:57 AM
link   
I've wondered this for a really long time probably since I was little.

When I was young I would watch television and I would see a bunch of infomercials and I wasn't able to understand why they were on the air at the time. Now, as I'm older, I can use the power of introspection and I realize that I was fooled by these scam artists that were just looking to make a little money off of CD albums.

Why are these people allowed to do this? It seems illegal. Why try to scam millions of television watchers?

I don't understand why scam-artists are allowed to appear on television. Much less appear on public media...

I've actually been scammed once, by a scammer who went by the name Sylvia Brown, so, I am upset that these scammers are allowed to do their own business and things without prosecution from the law.

[edit on 11-10-2008 by Frankidealist35]

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

It is the responsibility of the buyer to know what he is purchasing. Are you asking for government intervention in your decision process as to what you should and should not buy? Or what should or should not be sold? Be careful what you ask for...

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35
I've wondered this for a really long time probably since I was little.

When I was young I would watch television and I would see a bunch of infomercials and I wasn't able to understand why they were on the air at the time. Now, as I'm older, I can use the power of introspection and I realize that I was fooled by these scam artists that were just looking to make a little money off of CD albums.

Why are these people allowed to do this? It seems illegal. Why try to scam millions of television watchers?

I don't understand why scam-artists are allowed to appear on television. Much less appear on public media...

I've actually been scammed once, by a scammer who went by the name Sylvia Brown, so, I am upset that these scammers are allowed to do their own business and things without prosecution from the law.

They've got the money to buy airtime, and the constitutional right to say almost anything they want, as long as there's proper legal disclaimer for it all.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 03:14 AM
link   
why are people allowed to write posts on the internet about scammers... at 3:07 am?

-

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 03:55 AM
link   
reply to post by prevenge

When I made this topic I saw a scammer on TV trying to convince a large audience to get his book.

I just believe there should be some kinds of laws against what scammers can do. Maybe government intervention if it comes to that.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 04:15 AM
link   

When I made this topic I saw a scammer on TV trying to convince a large audience to get his book.

I just believe there should be some kinds of laws against what scammers can do. Maybe government intervention if it comes to that.

i think you're trying to scam me into posting on this thread.

i want my money back.

-

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 04:21 AM
link   

I can't give you time back. We don't have some kind of device for that yet.

Anyways, it's 5:21 AM, I need to get to sleep.

I didn't mean to sound like a jerk when I made this post I just thought that this user was trying to derail my topic.

Honestly though, why are scammers being allowed on national television moreso than the common person? I think if scammers are allowed to speak their views than regular citizens should be allowed on national television to speak their own as well to add some balance.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 06:24 AM
link   
They aren't allowed on television "more so" than the average person. If you have the money, you can get on TV, simple as that. And for the reasons those things are on late at night. Its because they are unpopular and TV stations have ratings to keep up. If one channel is showing CSI: Miami and another is showing Monday night football and then you throw a infomercial in the mix, that tv network gets terrible ratings, loses money, etc, ect.

And like others have stated, you are responsible for what you do with your money. If your money is that important to you, I would think you would research the claims of the product before putting down the hard-earned cash. Most people who get "scammed" are impulsively buying a product. taking even 5 minutes on google can help avoid spending money you will later regret.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Why are scammers allowed to make books and appear on television?

Because he's the President silly.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 07:57 AM
link   
I agree with the above posters. Any scammer with enough money can buy airtime to peddle their wares. I mean come on, didn't you read that Obama had bought 30-minute spots on several networks for later this month?

It's called maturity. Most of us have learned not to waste our money on anything that appears to be to good to be true. A lot of us even understand that we shouldn't vote for anyone the media tells us we should. Maybe a lot of Americans will learn this lesson a few years from now.

join