It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So McCain says that we shouldnt be scared of Obama as president

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 07:54 PM
link   
So, in an attempt to get this puppy back on the road:

The fact is that we have either nothing to fear from either candidate, or everything to fear about both of them. I do truly believe that no matter which one wins, it's an improvement over the status quo. As for all the fearmongering, I would quote FDR: "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself." It was true then and is still true today. Solutions never come from fear, only more problems. It's time for us to move beyond the fear and the hate and move towards the direction that our Founding Fathers laid out for us. It's about issues, not personalities. It's about common problems, not associations. We need to remember the truth behind the wise words of Aesop: "United we stand, divided we fall." We are very divided, and if we do not change this we are in for a major fall.

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 08:00 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I thought id just throw this up there........i was in iraq too, 3 times.....and i have seen the good weve done there, i also have many many many friends that have been there many many times. You say we should be there and we are wasting resources there instead of Afghanistan......However i have to call your service into question, because anyone who has served in the military knows that Iraq is a strategic point.....a very very very important one at that, and serves as a buffer from Iran, ever heard of .......divide and conquer? Not to mention if we hadnt taken Iraq, we wouldnt have such an easy time getting forces in and out of there to GET to Afghanistan.....

As to the other person, you made a statement that you like obama for what you THINK you know about him........thats just the point, if youll read the facts and look at him, his history, and his associations without being mesmerized by the mans "words" you will start to get a very very different picture of the man.....and THAT my friends we DO have to fear

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ManBehindTheMask

I don't want to derail the thread again, so I'll be brief. Before the invasion, Iraq was a buffer to Iran as they had been either at war or on the brink for decades. Iraq kept Iran in check. Since then... And we had no problem getting to Afghanistan for the year and a half prior to the invasion.

As to the second point, which is on topic, I have looked at both candidates in detail, and both have nasty skeletons in their closets. Given that, it comes down to their standing on the issues and their policies, as Senator McCain stated. Taking a good detailed look at the state of the country and the world and what got us to this point, Senator Obama's plan is more likely to get the country back on the right track. If you are going to make judgements based only on skeletons, then no one will ever be able to stand up to that measuring stick. Every candidate and past President comes with a buttload of baggage.

I would suggest taking a step back and look at the big picture, including the history of this nation and the rest of the world. We are not the innocent good guys we like to think we are. Almost every nation we are having difficulty with can be traced to actions of past administrations. We need to stop being 'Team America, World Police'. The UN was created for a reason, mostly because of US backing, and we need to let it do it's job.

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by JaxonRoberts
I have looked at both candidates in detail, and both have nasty skeletons in their closets.

Is there a thread on ATS you can point me to that addresses all these nasty skeletons for both of them?

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

No, regretfully I cannot. The Obama campaign and Democrats in general have tried to run a clean(er) campaign, but there is plenty of info on both available. The Obama dirt is easy to find. The McCain dirt would include the Keating association, the circumstances around leaving his first wife, his close ties with lobbyists, his Academy record and standing in his graduating class (bottom 5, not 5%, 5), his lack of vetting in VP choice (and that's a whole new bunch of baggage, but I digress). It's all just smoke and mirrors, as no one can stand up to this kind of scrutiny. The fact remains that there is no doubt we need change, and keeping the same party in control is not the prescription for change. I say that not only looking at their individual policies, but in a historical perspective in general. Change does not happen until the ruling party is dethroned. I firmly believe that neither party should be in charge for longer than 8 to 12 years. In this case, Bush ran that clock out very early.

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

I agree with what you just said. I personally want even more radical change because I am pretty sure the corruption is much deeper.

You say that the Obama dirt is easy to find and there is a lot of info. I am confused then... where can I find it? I am not saying there isn't some, but you said nasty skeletons...

And then the Mcain stuff you mentioned I am mostly familiar with as I have seen it on ATS.

[edit on 12-10-2008 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Good points. I'd also like to point out that i don't think a democratic or republican majority in the house/senate and white house is a good thing for anyone. I've always thought that this country is better off by making things a bit more difficult for both parties to get their agendas across.

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

Just hit recent posts and take your pick. Acorn ties, Ayers ties, Kenyan ties, etc. etc. etc.

reply to post by David9176

I totally agree, give one party the White House and the other one the Congress. We can tell from the first six years of the Bush Administration that it's not a good idea to give 'em both. But I do think it might be a good idea to give the dems both for at least the first two years to balance the mistakes of that period. We need Wall Street re-regulated quickly and they will need both branches to do it. Another reason to keep changing the ruling party is to keep the Supreme Court balanced as well. If McCain is elected, we face a court leaning heavily to the right.

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 10:52 PM
link   

I disagree with you on the Democrats having complete control. I didnt' like it when the Republicans had it either. It's just bad for the country.

The reason i disagree....the bailout. I freaking hate it. HATE IT. Congress has a 10 percent or so approval rating...it's a joke. And democrats have the majority. There is all kinds of blame to throw around...any who denies this is being too one-sided.

This is what i ask...i know Bush sucked...but how can i expect better from our congress when all they do is make things worse or do nothing at all? I just don't want an all democrat government just like i don't want an all republican one. We've seen what happens...and it's obviously NOT good. I really don't think having a full democratic government is going to undo it.

THey want to pass another stimulus package. Why? The government is already trillions in debt...why make it worse. I wouldn't mind the extra cash..but i'd rather have the problem fixed instead of adding to it. I just don't believe the stimulus packages do much..too many people get it and then blow it on wide screen tv's instead of doing something constructive with it..ya know...like paying bills and debt..lol.

I do respect your opinion and respectfully disagree with you on that one.

[edit on 12-10-2008 by David9176]

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 11:06 PM
link   

I think the Democrats were coerced into the bailout bill. Here's why.

If you say 'Martial Law' to the left, they will panic, and they did. Think about it this way, the Republican President wanted this bill, and the Republican members of congress seemed to oppose it. Could it be to cast a shadow on the Dems? I think the answer to that is yes.

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Guys, the old man isn't gonna win this one so just hang up your shoes. Even if he would win, this dude is likely to croak in office.

Obama already has this in the bag.

Fact of the matter is, I don't really care for either of them. So this prediction is coming for a totally unbiased viewpoint.

[edit on 12-10-2008 by thehumbleone]

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bunch...All this things about Ayers, Rev. Wright, if he was a muslim or not, if he use drugs or not, ALL OF IT, and still beat Hillary Clinton. ...

Oby barely beat Hillary, 50.1% to 49.9% . Besides he lost his momentum at the end, losing to Hillary in several key states. In reality he's a weak candidate but the press and pundits treated him like he won 100% of the primary votes. Latest RCP national avg poll shows he is only 7.3% ahead of McCain. He should be 30% ahead of McCain in this current political climate.

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Shades1035

wow you must be one of those people that watches the news to find out whats going on in iraq. I did 2 tours in iraq one with the 101st and 2nd with Tennesse nat guard so i actually know whats happening in iraq as apposed to you. Believe what you will but its people like me that stop reality from slapping you in the face on whats really going on the world. There was proof of wmds however something called politics prevented the white house screaming from the roof tops.

We cant come out and say Syria has them without being willing to invade Syria. Heres another shocker for you Since its common knowledge that he had wmds used when he fought iran, where did they go? Oh never mind go back to your tv its almost time for the news.

Now back to the thread as i stated earlier it doesnt matter which one is elected the true power is congress. Both candidayes can claim whatever they like its not going to happen. What the united states needs is a viable 3rd party. Then politicians would go back to working for the people instead of lobbyists. Im hoping something will occur to let me know who to vote for but as i see it probably wont matter both candidates are bad. Was interested in hillary though i think that would have thrown a wrench in the government.

[edit on 10/12/08 by dragonridr]

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by coolieno99

Oby barely beat Hillary, 50.1% to 49.9% . Besides he lost his momentum at the end, losing to Hillary in several key states. In reality he's a weak candidate but the press and pundits treated him like he won 100% of the primary votes. Latest RCP national avg poll shows he is only 7.3% ahead of McCain. He should be 30% ahead of McCain in this current political climate.

To quote Vin Diesel on The Fast and The Furious. "It doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile. Winning is winning."

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by coolieno99

Originally posted by Bunch...All this things about Ayers, Rev. Wright, if he was a muslim or not, if he use drugs or not, ALL OF IT, and still beat Hillary Clinton. ...

30% ... ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

name the last candidate who won by 30%

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 11:34 PM
link   

I've seen that clip and i've also seen him do interviews on a few of the news channels. He was completely against it....kudos to him. You are right about the fear mongering...there was definitely some there...not denying that.

Lobbyist hit everyone hard after the house failed the first vote on the bailout bill. The Senate passed it with another 150 billion full of pork and then the house passed it.

i just don't think fear mongering should be an excuse especially after that argument has been made countless times on the Iraq war and how we were feared into doing it.

Do they not learn from prior mistakes? Why didn't they listen to the people? I've stated on this board many times that i won't vote for anyone who voted for that bill.

Unfortunately, both presidential candidates voted for this thing and in this case only i'm going to against that mainly because there's really no other option. If one of them had said no...now THAT would have been change and i think the people would have rallied behind either one if they had done that.

Right now i just don't have trust in our government. I'm on the verge of being laid off or being canned at my job because of this mess. If i lose my job i'm in big trouble and i know that i'm not the only one sailing in that boat.

Terrible times.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Congress learn from it's mistakes??? Surely you jest! I'm reminded of a quote by Mark Twain: "There is no distinctly American criminal class - except Congress." But it's all we got! I'm just saying in order to get the banks and markets re-regulated as fast as possible requires Democratic control of both Executive and Legislative branches.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Congress learn from it's mistakes??? Surely you jest!

Lol.

Yeah who am i kidding. They screw up everything they touch, Democrats and Republicans alike.

But i still respectfully disagree with you.

I am voting for McCain...and i'm hoping for something big from him on wednesday. He needs to connect with people and he has yet to do it, but i think he can do it and people are waiting for him to do so.

I know that i'm in the minority, but i don't think he's another GB.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join