It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pirates threaten to blast Faina ship if no ransom is paid

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Pirates threaten to blast Faina ship if no ransom is paid

www.itar-tass.com

PRETORIA, October 10 (Itar-Tass) -- Pirates that have seized the Ukrainian ship Faina with a number of Russian crewmembers off shore Somalia threaten to blast the ship if they are not paid the ransom.

U.S. Navy ships have encircled the Faina carrying 33 T-72 tanks and other weaponry, and the Neustrashimy patrol ship of the Russian Baltic Fleet is approaching the area.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Is this just a case of some pirates that got lucky or are there other forces at work here. Is it just a coincidence that a ship laden with Russian military hardware ends up in the hands of pirates or are they US navy seals dressd up to look like pirates.

There has been a lot of shananigans betweeen the US and Russia of late and is this incident just another episode of the continuing events between the two countries. Is this a lame attempt at the US in trying to stop Russia gaining back its full super power status by trying to interupt Russia in arming new friends around the Globe.

www.itar-tass.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 04:53 PM
link   
All those movies about Navy Seals walking on the bottom of rivers, and stealthily climbing aboard ships and being one with the shadows..

Isn't that real?

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Red, yes but the problem today is all what we thought was true safe and secure has now turned to crap. How can any of us believe anything anymore, we know full well that secret services have throughout history have done the bidding of their masters so why change now.

Its just too much of a coincidence that a ship full of Russian military hardware gets pulled by a bunch of surf goons. A ship that then ends up surrounded by US ships, what are they there to kill the pirates, I dont think so.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 05:05 PM
link   
i was wondering about these pirates because i saw something on msn, about how some black people stormed a massive cargo shipped and enslaved the crew. but why would the massive cargo ship even stop for some retards in some stupid pontoon boat.

to me if i had a massive cargo ship and being threatened by pirates i would open fire or not stop moving so that they cannot enter the vessel.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 05:11 PM
link   
This is so ridiculues...

DONT WE STILL HAVE A NAVY!!!

What are we doing.

We, colectivly as a western society, have lost our balls.

We have nothing left. We have gone from the tough guy no one wanted to mess with, to the idiot loser, complaining and trying to talk to the bully, in one generation.

We have Multi-million dollar WARSHIPS being bulled around by despots in rubber boats...

The whole world is out of their minds...
The US
England
France
Germany
Spain

All whimps.

All acting like school girls.

Be a man for christs sake.

Let me remind you of what the US navy was made to do. The US Navy was made to comabt PIRATES in the carrebean that were intercepting shipments coming to and leaving the United States.

These men in our Navy were trained, and formed to KILL PIRATES. To protect our intrests at sea.

We should have had our seals on that ship yesterday.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Livin, exactly, do you know how hard it is to get from a small boat to a ship thats towering 50 feet above you, impossible unlesss you had someone on the inside with the crew. Under normal circumstances even a slow moving freighter could not be boarded from a small boat pulling alongside, you would be looking at a 20-30 foot wall of steel, no ladders, no ropes etc.

This was an inside job or a dupe, either way you can bet your life that the US military is behind this. But they wont get away with it for long, the Ruskies will know what they are up to and on the next trip any such boats will be blown out of the sea.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by LivinLaVidaLoca
i was wondering about these pirates because i saw something on msn, about how some black people stormed a massive cargo shipped and enslaved the crew. but why would the massive cargo ship even stop for some retards in some stupid pontoon boat.

to me if i had a massive cargo ship and being threatened by pirates i would open fire or not stop moving so that they cannot enter the vessel.

Maybe because the "retards" you mentioned have weapons, and the cargo ship doesn't? Last I looked, most container ships, etc, aren't carrying weapons (at least not for their own use).

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by magicmushroom
Is it just a coincidence that a ship laden with Russian military hardware ends up in the hands of pirates or are they US navy seals dressd up to look like pirates.

Pirates in that neck of the woods are common. There have been attacks there quite a bit.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Jerico, you are correct of course there is nothing new about pirates on the high sees but I refer you to my previous post, do you know how hard it is to get from a small boat to a huge freighter.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   
If they sink the ship.....we don't care. 32 less T72 soviet tanks lying around. Then all they have is 20 or so civilian (Russian and Ukraine) hostages. If they kill them....all the pirates (the ones on land too) are quite dead. Now, the Russians are there or will be soon....and they don't deal with hostage situations as well as we do(Remember the Opera or the school?). In fact, they don't care about hostages....just making sure the bad guys "get it".

I don't think the pirates are in ANY position to make threats.....they will be lucky to even come out alive.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by magicmushroom

do you know how hard it is to get from a small boat to a huge freighter.

True. But the smaller ships are faster, and they are pointing RPG's at them.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Why risk American lives for a Russian ship? Let the Russian military take over and see if have the gonads to charge the ship. Be interesting to see if they the Russians pay the ransom or not.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grafilthy
reply to post by magicmushroom

do you know how hard it is to get from a small boat to a huge freighter.

True. But the smaller ships are faster, and they are pointing RPG's at them.

Not to sound facetious, and no offense intended.
But how did they get up there?
Did the pirates levitate onto the deck?

Something about this doesn't smell right.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I dont know about the rest of you but I find it highly suspicious that we havent already blown them out of the water. Just tanks? I dont think so.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   
the pirates are pretty experienced, boarding a freighter wouldn't be terribly difficult for them, i imagine.

what really confuses me is why the american navy are surrounding the ship?!?

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by justme2

No....they hail the ship and surround it. They are probably scarier than they sound....and civilian ships are mostly unarmed.

I have a Jack Russell Terrier....not a scary dog.....but 20 of them? They would win the fight.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Grafilthy

Good points

You made me chuckle BTW --- also, true about those little monst..I mean dogs.

But as raised by pieman, I also wonder why the U.S. is surrounding the ship. Especially with Russia in the equation.

[edit on 10/10/2008 by justme2]

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by magicmushroom
Jerico, you are correct of course there is nothing new about pirates on the high sees but I refer you to my previous post, do you know how hard it is to get from a small boat to a huge freighter.

I think most of the cargo ships are instructed not to put up a fight. And if they wanted to, what could they use if they aren't armed?

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by jerico65
what could they use if they aren't armed?

Wasn't part of the Cargo a bunch of tanks? True - they are probably inoperable and "below deck". Never Mind, I'm realizing I'm making an *** of myself due to lack of sleep.
More Coffee, coming up!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join