It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Documents Reveal Unlawful Gitmo Procedures Were Also Applied On American Soil!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 01:52 PM
link   

New Documents Reveal Unlawful Gitmo Procedures Were Also Applied On American Soil!

www.commondreams.org

"The application of Guantánamo protocols on U.S. soil is incredibly significant and indicates how far the administration has gone in terms of suspending the law," said Jonathan Hafetz, a staff attorney with the ACLU National Security Project. "The Bush administration has long argued that detainees held in Guantánamo are not entitled to any constitutional protections - an argument the Supreme Court has recently rejected. But this is not even Guantánamo - we are talking about creating prisons beyond the law right here in America."

The documents clearly show that the standard operating procedure developed for Guantánamo Bay governed every aspect of detentions at the two bases inside the United States. Though Navy personnel tried several times to improve the harsh conditions under which Hamdi, Padilla and al-Marri were detained, senior Defense Department officials repeatedly denied the requests. Padilla and al-Marri have reported being subjected to many of the brutal interrogation techniques used at Guantánamo Bay that included sleep deprivation, painful stress positions, prolonged isolation, extreme sensory deprivation, and threats of violence and death. That regime, it now appears, was the product of an effort to extend "Guantánamo rules" to prisons inside the United States.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 8-10-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 01:52 PM
link   
You've GOT to be kidding me...

So now, not only do we have this lawlessness being done on foreign soil in Guantanamo and other 'Secret Prisons', but the ACLU now has its hands on documents detailing them doing it HERE---ON AMERICAN SOIL.

And people still want to brush off the haliburton camps as being too "out there"? If they can do this to these folks, then they can do it to YOU too...

Very creepy...

www.commondreams.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

If they can do this to these folks, then they can do it to YOU too...

I agree that is why we need to stand up for the rights of others. Even those we may not culturally agree with, even those who are not US citizens. Because if we don’t speak up to the injustice our government is involved in with others next it will be us, and by then it may be too late to speak up.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   
So many people think these tactics are OK. Let's see how they feel when it is used on a loved one, or themselves.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   
It is amazing what this govt is getting away with.

I fear the worst for our future if too many people won't stand up for the truth.

To protect and serve is only available for the wealthy.

"You simply cannot hang a millionaire in America. ~ Bourke Cockran

edit - to give an example for that; look at OJ when he was wealthy he was protected by a system of corruption and fraud, now he isn't that rich anymore and lost his protection.

GM

[edit on 8-10-2008 by Grey Magic]

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
So many people think these tactics are OK. Let's see how they feel when it is used on a loved one, or themselves.

Sadly I think this is a dose of reality many would need to protest the government’s actions. Thankfully in America this is gaining more attention, and I think several shows and movies and news specials featuring these issues do help mainstream America ponder this issue less apathetically.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Do you guys remember a tv series named 24hours... you saw a special agent torture the prisoner, a terrorist, to get information about a bomb. And everybody know 24hs is a very popular series... brainwash mind you.

"Torture is OK! Its for greater good of nation
"

I won't be surprise if most average joy is ok with that... They may speak "no" but deep inside them... they thinks is ok.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by blackcube

yes indeed, as long as they don't understand the phrase "One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter" they won't even understand it reversely

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 02:44 PM
link   
"Joe Six Pack" is by and large still so indoctrinated to beleive that we are the land of the free and the brave and things like that simply don't happen here--that he will let stories like this go in one ear, out the other.

Forgetting of course that it was the watchful people who kept things like that from happening.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Just wanted to star and flag this thread--news like this constantly goes under the radar yet is the most astounding out there.

This reminds me of the famous poem by Pastor Martin Niemöller:

"When the Nazis came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.
When they locked up the social democrats,
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,
I did not speak out;
I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for the Jews,
I remained silent;
I wasn't a Jew.

When they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out."

Direct violations of human freedoms are perfect examples of this. Good find, but this really grinds my gears

top topics

join