It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gore urges civil disobedience to stop coal plants

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Gore urges civil disobedience to stop coal plants

www.reuters.com

Nobel Peace Prize winner and environmental crusader Al Gore urged young people on Wednesday to engage in civil disobedience to stop the construction of coal plants without the ability to store carbon.

"If you're a young person looking at the future of this planet and looking at what is being done right now, and not done, I believe we have reached the stage where it is time for civil disobedience to prevent the construction of new coal plants that do not have carbon capture and sequestration,"
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.reuters.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Brigade homeland tours start Oct. 1

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Well, I just read another curious story from the UK, about a jury that acquitted 6 Greenpeace defendants who scaled a smokestack at the Kingsnorth coal-fired power station and attempted to shut it down. They were acquitted because of a peculiar english law called "lawful excuse."

The defense responded that the damages caused by the plant were far greater than any that they, the defendants caused, and thus were justified under the concept of lawful excuse, explained above. They also argued that the government's own declarations on global warming showed that it was well aware of the magnitude and severity of the problems, but that owing to a lack of political courage it had failed to act aggressively enough in confronting the challenge.

The nine-person jury deliberated for two day before finding the defendents innocent on all charges by reason of "lawful excuse".

So I am wondering if Al Gore is thinking there is some similar loophole in US law that would get activists who go postal on coal-fired power plants that don't carry the new containing technology acquitted too.

"Civil disobedience" apparently will be met with a combat team returning home from combat missions in Iraq, as is more commonly known now at ATS.

www.reuters.com (visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 10:01 PM
link   
I am under the impression that civil disobedience is the only option people have to get things done. That is, the sword is mightier than the pen. Sorry, folks!

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 10:04 PM
link   
So the hundred million he made off the carbon credits did not satisfy him. Poor guy, needs attention. Now he can set up anti-coal rallies to fly his new jet too. I wonder how much carbon his jet produces compared to say every car I'll ever own combined. Probably far more. When he sells that jet and starts riding his bike to Harvard, I'll listen to what he has to say. Until then he is just another bag of hot air.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 10:08 PM
link   
A one time VP and presidential candidate turned into what amounts to being one step away from becoming an environmental terrorist. Global warning didn't fly, his nobel prize is a joke worldwide and that carbon credit scam never took off in N America. Now he is reduced to a peacnik street protestor. I say send him to China where the real coal plant action is at.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

lol, I feel pretty much the same. But I just thought it was kinda odd for him considering his stature, to ENCOURAGE civil disobedience over the matter. Especially knowing he's gonna draw down the combat brigade on their butts. So let's see Al get disobedient in front of the army, and water cannoned all the way on top of one of those smokestacks, and maybe some people will listen.

How about speaking out on the clear violation of posse comitatus, eh Al?

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 10:18 PM
link   
clean coal = oxymoron

along the lines of enhanced interrogation

glacial speed

dirty wind

non renewable solar

I like Al...so shoot me...he's a rich guy and he's not perfect but he wants to share his good forturne with his children and their generation.

He's no saint but he is right.

I loved it when he asked at the DNC in Denver in light of all that has happened if the 2000 election mattered???

You know in terms of those perfect worlders...look at us 8 years later and weep for the missed opportunities of a Gore administration.
-no war in iraq
-war funds used to explore alternative energy sources
-health care for all
-nafta gatt wto repealed and tarriffs restored
-good jobs supported by the trade regulations.
-unions restored to their original

Perfect no...perfect is only found in the hope of Ron Paul....yeah he is gonna close the fed and everything will be hunky dory

Yea he must pucker up for the PTB. Do you??? Gotta kiss some *ss at work? Do you wanna burn the mutha down...good luck to you!!

I promise you the elite will infect any movement you throw their way. They have been at it for a very long time and you don't scare them in the least.

Really Ron Paul believers what would you do with a trillion dollars???

Would you build industries??? Would you try and help out.

These folks are not going away because Alex Jones has a bull horn

In fact many believe Alex has been bought and paid for by now. I wouldn't blame him! In any case don't be a one note nelly regarding the federal reserve.
These fellows have been at it for a long time give them their due!

You know look at the margins...I don't think they mind the margins. They are more like us than you think!

[edit on 24-9-2008 by Leo Strauss]

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

Starred this brilliant post

And will be watching for more from this poster

Love your work !

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by SectionEight

Starred this one too !

Again, sums him up perfectly

Bravo !

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Aw geez. Gore again. Self appointed saviour of the planet. He may want to start at home....somethings about a new houseboat? Like the guy doesn't have enough or big enough houses now?!

I'd wish he'd just shut his piehole.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Eco-terrorist, a flim-flam carbon credit scam so good that any confidence man worth his salt would bow his head in silent respect, and now a rebel rousing protest organiser? Someone please post the number to DHS, we got them a customer that needs guest accommodations.

The more I think of it that South Park depiction of him in Imaginationland is starting to look spot on.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Oh, this is from the same clown who "Invented the Internet", and "Discovered Global Warming"? Maybe next we will learn about his ancestor who "Designed the First Wheel", and the Super-Great Uncle who "First Discovered Fire". Al Gore is nothing but an ignorant attention seeker who constantly steals credit for his own glory.

BTW, we are talking about a "Theory" which as of yet has not even been proven, otherwise it would be a "Law". Where are the "Laws of Human Induced Global Warming"?

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 02:33 AM
link   
From a quote by John LeCamp on WKRC in Cincinatti. He is packing potatos in his face. I wonder what he warms up with? A fifth of Jack?

[edit on 9/25/2008 by jpm1602]

new topics

top topics

join