It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Presidential Proclamation 8286, Sept 11 to be Patriot Day

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Presidential Proclamation 8286, Sept 11 to be Patriot Day

vlex.com

September 11, 2001, was etched into America's memory when 19 terrorists attacked us with barbarity unequaled in our history. On Patriot Day, we cherish the memory of the thousands of innocent victims lost, extend our thoughts and prayers to their families, and honor the heroic men and women who risked and sacrificed their lives so others might survive.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
regulations.justia.com

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   
So Dubya has made the anniversary of what the PNAC called a New Pearl Harbor into a national day of remembrance. Flags half mast is appropriate of course. The name Patriots Day kind of reminds one of the liberty stealing freedom losing Patriot Act doesn't it?

vlex.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Disgusting.

This makes me absolutely sick to my stomach.

The death of friends and loved ones becomes an excuse for yet more nationalistic patriotism (the last refuge of scoundrels) and flag waiving.

This tragedy is no more tragic than any number of equally tragic events happening every day in the world, but because it happened to the US it's being elevated above all others. I wish the people who proposed this or thought it was a good idea would just get over themselves.

Those of us who suffered real lose of friends or loved ones that day have had to come to terms with it and move on.

So should the rest of the world.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Wow, so Bush is rubbing our faces in the fact that the NWO MIC got what they wanted, while we all suffer.

That's gloating on the grandest scale as I've ever seen...

It's clear that they're not going to let anyone forget who 'won'.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 04:56 PM
link   
It just strikes me as ironic that the Bush administration would want to name 9/11 Patriot Day, considering it denotes nothing even simlar to patriotism.

If 9/11 was truly a Patriot Day, then it would be the day that real American patriots would rise up and hold those who perpetrated 9/11/01 accoubtable for their crimes (and Im not talking about Osama Bin Laden).

They better hope the real "Patriot Day" never does take place. The French used the guillatine for such special days, maybe we could steal a page from their play book.

And even suggesting 9/11 be Patriot Day is an insult to everyone who was killed and everyone who has been effected by the actions of that horrific day. The idea is a new low even for this administration.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I'm confused, is this patriot, as in patriot act opression, or patriot as in honest citizen that loves his country? This needs to be clear so we know which group is celebrating...

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Zepherian

Agreed. I am really confused by this also.

My main point of confusion is that there already exists a Patriot's day, which is April 19th:

en.wikipedia.org...

This particular day commemorates the battle of Lexington and Concord, the start of the Revolutionary War with England. (Recall, Paul Revere and his midnight ride? Do they still teach that in school?)

So couldn't they pick a better name? Or is the start of the USA revolutionary war not to be remembered uniquely?

Not much advocacy on behalf of the Revolutionary war. I guess. Unlike our current wars.

So I guess now we also have a "Patriot" day as well as a "Patriot's" day. Maybe soon we will also have a "Patriots" day also. That will be named after the next disaster to befall us, I would bet.

Edit: Maybe suffering for your country is patriotic. It requires a great love for your country to endure a lot of unrequested pain.

[edit on 11-9-2008 by Buck Division]

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 12:21 AM
link   
So if September 11th will now be Patriot's Day, does that mean that Shrub, Insaney and their crew will leave the country for the day? They certainly have not shown a bit of real patriotism to this country nor the Constitution, though they have shown alot of patriotism toward that Nazi Social Engineer who created Neo-Cons and their Banking buddies in New England and Europe.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 12:40 AM
link   
yea, If You need another name for it call it MY Birthday.. Gald to hear you americans are all going to support such a great thing.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 09:09 PM
link   
What I find so odd about this is the label "Patriot", which cheapens patriotism a bit.

It would be better to call Sept 11th "Vigilance Day" or something.

I would reserve the word "Patriot" day for something such as for a great battle, well prepared for, engaged by patriotic Americans, who willingly risked and sacrificed their lives for the cause of freedom. Like the battle of Lexington and Concord, in the revolutionary war.

#

Let's say you are mugged and robbed. Do you remember this as "Family Day?" (Why not -- your family came to visit you in the hospital, and were quite sympathetic.)

That makes about as much sense as naming Sept 11th, 2001, "Patriot Day".

But really -- I am not that surprised by all of this. It is highly consistent with everything else regarding that day...

(Edit: Consistent with our President's inept handling of that horrific event, to be clear.)

[edit on 17-9-2008 by Buck Division]

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I wonder how much Bush will be gloating when all of his criminality catches up with him & everyone else who helped him (Hey, Aiding & Abetting is still considered equal to the actual crime itself...Even up to High Treason).

Originally posted by BlackOps719
They better hope the real "Patriot Day" never does take place. The French used the guillatine for such special days, maybe we could steal a page from their play book.

Guillotines might be too expensive...Even though they can be re-used quite a number of times, there's still some maintenance involved, like oiling along the blade-runner slots. The price of oil nowadays may turn this into a "sticky situation."

Bullets are relatively cheap, but when you consider how many criminals are in the government, the cost can add up quickly & they're not really re-usable.

Ropes are good...Especially if you consider that hemp ropes are stronger than other fiber ropes (& I detect a bit of "administrative irony" with the use of hemp
) & synthetics don't decompose well in the environment. Ropes (& the scaffolding too) can be used dozens or perhaps hundreds of times before they wear out & they're very cheap.

I think that, when the People catch up with the criminals, sentences should be carried out on Sept. 11 of that year...That'll be a holiday for the history books! It's already too late this year & Bush will have probably already run off to his new house in Paraguay by 9/11 next year...

[edit on 17-9-2008 by MidnightDStroyer]

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Gools

That is one cold response Gools.

September 11, is a perfect day to celebrate patriotism, because there were many acts of patriotism on that day.

There are plenty of precedents for proclaiming special days to commemorate national tragedies, but in this case, it is not just a day to remember those who died, but those who distinguished themselves in the face of such barbarism.

Is it not appropriate to honor those firemen who charged into the World Trade Center knowing how difficult their task might be, even under the best of conditions, only to be killed as the towers collapsed.

Is it not appropriate to honor those who took Flight 93 into a Pennsylvania field rather than have the aircraft fly into the White House or the Capitol.

Is it not even more appropriate to celebrate not just the acts of these brave souls, but also to recognize their selflessness that is really the essence of patriotism

Can your hatred of America be so extreme as to blind you to the values and qualities of character that define patriotism?

It is true that America has moved on since 9/11, as we always must even after the worst of tragedies. The world has moved on after far worse than 9/11, but honorable folks take a bit of time on such special occasions to remember the special sacrifices of the most distinguished among us.

Or would you rather we just forgot 9/11 completely and the lessons learned on that fateful day.

[edit on 2008/9/17 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
reply to post by Gools
September 11, is a perfect day to celebrate patriotism, because there were many acts of patriotism on that day.

I agree with your sentiment, and that this is a special day deserving of a special name. What I disagree with is that it hits the "patriot" button totally unnecessarily.

I don't think fire-fighters and other felt patriotism on that day. I think they felt something else -- perhaps bravery and dedication, and selflessness. Perhaps it should be "National Bravery Day".

The main problem with patriotism being thrown around so casually is that the word thereby loses its meaning.

Here is what patriotism means. Does this apply to September 11th?

en.wiktionary.org...

Edit: It should be called September 11th Remembrance Day, IMO. That says it all.

[edit on 18-9-2008 by Buck Division]

new topics

top topics

join