It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bowfishing! The Ultimate Survival Weapon (warning to animal lovers, graphic video)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 04:17 PM
link   
These good 'ol boys prove that with a simple bowfishing rig you can "catch" enough alligator-gar steaks to last you a whole winter.

it don't get any better than this!

this one shows how even an 8 year old can do it!

[edit on 11-8-2008 by Fathom]

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Looks like a blast. Wonder if they have a charter boat you could sign up for?

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 05:03 PM
link   
It seems to me that that's a super efficient way to fish so I would want to look at gar populations and limit takes in day to day life but I love me some fish and I fish too. As young teens we would go to the bottom of a spillway and tie a hook on line to a plastic bottle with a cap on it, We would bait the hook and drop it in the water. Once a fish gets on all you have to do is catch the bottle.

In fact, for survival, a hook line, a float and a worm will get you some food while you work on other things. Be careful you don't over harvest because you will want to come back for more and feed your friends and get something to barter.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by stikkinikki

Super efficient way to fish? looks time consuming and way way too effort intensive for a survival method of fishing.

However it sure as hell looks good fun for a day out with like minded souls!

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Do you have to throw bait balls in the water to lure them to the surface, or how can you see them well enough to shoot in a big lake like that? I always imagined bowfishing was only for carp, and in relatively shallow, clear little creeks.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by salchanra
Looks like a blast. Wonder if they have a charter boat you could sign up for?
here is a website where you can hire a guide.
www.redneckadventures.com...

look at these guys
Marsh Masters Bowfishing - Leeville, LA (Grand Isle Area) - 985- 637-7392

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yarcofin
Do you have to throw bait balls in the water to lure them to the surface, or how can you see them well enough to shoot in a big lake like that? I always imagined bowfishing was only for carp, and in relatively shallow, clear little creeks.

no, we have been bowfishing at night with a bright light, they come right up to the surface and then wham!!

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Thanks for the link, if I ever get back down there, Ill check them out. Not really what I would call a survival idea, but none the less, I would certainly pay to go out with those guys and bow hunt for gator.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 12:45 AM
link   
this is very cruel it should be banned, and you all should be ashamed of yourselves thinking this is fun, it must cause a lot of trauma to the animal
rather you should use a gun atleast a gun is instant.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dan Tanna
reply to post by stikkinikki

Super efficient way to fish? looks time consuming and way way too effort intensive for a survival method of fishing.

However it sure as hell looks good fun for a day out with like minded souls!

Yes, I don't have any fish that big that swim through waters that calm that close to me. I'll stick to my meager saltwater take.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by ST SIR 86
this is very cruel it should be banned, and you all should be ashamed of yourselves thinking this is fun, it must cause a lot of trauma to the animal

In a survival situation you could feed your family and friends and dogs off of one of those. Of course you have to have a bow, a boat and be in the Louisiana swamps. A gun would do no good if you shot the fish and it swims away or sinks into the water.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 07:52 AM
link   

ha! you are sooo gunna starve! you have to reel the fish in after you shoot it if not it will sink....mate

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Fathom

If I was in a survival situation I would use a net and catch 'em all. Just my opinion.
Are you really for Mcain? If so I would love to hear your opinions about him because even though I'm a Dem. I sure as sh*t aint voting for Obama and I dont want to just not vote. Not kidding, not being a jerk just really need more info...

[edit on 13-8-2008 by spookjr]

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fathom

ha! you are sooo gunna starve! you have to reel the fish in after you shoot it if not it will sink....mate

mate catch it the regular way hook and sinker then when you get it next to the boat, instead of firing 4 or 5 arrows into it then hit it with the gaff 10 times,
then get it into the boat , then the fish has to suffocate while everybody cheers

try this: use the line and sinker, when you get the fish to the side of the boat
try shooting it with a gunshot to the head..... the fish is now DEAD and you the just haul it up out of the water with the gaff. this method has less trauma for the fish. and this method gets you goodie points with the greenies.

edit: and my way stops you having to fight the fish for 5 min prior to landing
saving you energy and in a survival situation thats a bonus.

[edit on 13-8-2008 by ST SIR 86]

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Im a sportsfisherman myself. What I saw on the video is nothing but a cruel and dumb way to catch a fish.
I have nothing against catching, killing and eating a fish but not like this.
Shooting 3 arrows into the animals body and let it sufficate on deck?
There are many, many other ways to take a fish with respect for the animal.
Every true (sports)fisherman know what Im talking about.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 08:19 AM
link   
They are fish people,catch 'em,kill 'em, eat 'em. 'Nuff said.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by spookjr

not for mccain but i am against obama...what can you do?
gonna vote against obama not mccain...

i just liked the avatar.

BTW: cute puppy!

[edit on 13-8-2008 by Fathom]

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by ST SIR 86

a gun is too loud and will draw attention to your position. the bow is quiet.
and as far as the fish suffering i reeeally am not too concerned with that, he is there to feed my friends/family/me

new topics

top topics

join