It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia sinks Georgian Naval Ship

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Russia sinks Georgian Naval Ship

abcnews.go.com

"Georgian missile patrol boats today made two attempts to attack Russian military ships. The Russian ships opened fire in response and as a result, one of the Georgian ships carrying out the attack was sunk," the ITAR-Tass news agency quoted a ministry spokesman as saying.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Sounds like an escalation in the conflict. With boats getting sunk, airstrikes, and an imminent invasion of Georgia on the way it should be interesting to see how it all effects the olympics.

abcnews.go.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   
It seems like Russia is finally getting a chance to showcase its work of the last sixty-some years. All these weapons and equipment, much of which has been never used, is finally being put to the test. I'm very interested to know of the Russian ship taht sank the Georgian vessels were either the deadly Slava-class destroyer or a Kara-class cruiser.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Some people are reporting this elsewhere but they're unsure if the reports are actually true.

I'll see if I can find any other news sources reporting this.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Yeah, all we have here is one report so far.

Lets compile a list of others confirming this.

This one has a spin of, Georgia provoked the fleet, fleet responded. Not saying that isn't the case, but we need to know for sure.

Where was the Russian fleet heading?
Did the Georgian ships move out toward the fleet to attack it, or did the fleet come to them?

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by sweatmonicaIdo

Actually it was either a small missile boat or the "Smetlivy" support ship. There is only two large Russian ships there: cruiser "Moscow" which was not the one that fire, and "Smetlivy", plus several smaller support ships.

It is said to be a cruise missile that sank the ship. And this happened over 12 hours ago and is being discussed in another thread.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   
It would be nice to keep this all in one big thread, it's kind of hard to scan three or four different threads on the War.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky
Where was the Russian fleet heading?

At first they stopped near Abkhazia's port city of Sukhumi - but this was many hours ago. They then headed south supposedly towards Poti which was subjected to an air strike earlier. Russian reports indicate the ships have been fairly far off-shore near Poti - likely preventing Georgia from receiving military shipments (from Ukraine?).

It is not a fleet either. It is one cruiser and about 6 or 7 support ships. 3 Landing craft are reported to be among them. The majority of the Black Sea fleet isn't going anywhere.

Did the Georgian ships move out toward the fleet to attack it, or did the fleet come to them?

Report states that the Georgian patrol boats fired on the Russian ships first. No info. on who approached who. I would have guessed what navy Georgia had would be destroyed when Poti was bombed, by I guess not.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by MegaCurious
... it should be interesting to see how it all effects the olympics.

The beginning of the Georgia conflict and the beginning of the Olympics cannot be coincidental.

They are probably distracting the attention of the general public, with Volleyball and ping pong tournements while they are escalating the regional conflict in the Middle east to begin WWIII.

[edit on 10-8-2008 by In nothing we trust]

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by In nothing we trust

The beginning of the Georgia conflict and the beginning of the Olympics cannot be coincidental.

They are probably distracting the attention of the general public, with Volleyball and ping pong tournements while they are escaling the regional conflict in the Middle east to begin WWIII.

[edit on 10-8-2008 by In nothing we trust]

Well, lets hope nobody starts arming the rebels in China just to make the Olympics that much more distracting.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by mirageofdeceit

Here's Reuters weighing in.
AP has it as well.

Interesting that both sources are noting that the primary source is the Russian Defense Ministry, so take that for what it's worth. I have no idea if the Ministry is channeling Baghdad Bob or not.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I was thinking the same thing. Use the Olympics to distract - most people will be watching that.

I found this: ginacobb.typepad.com...

Does anyone know the types of aircraft involved in this conflict? A BBC camera crew were targeted earlier by a ground attack aircraft. It fired rockets on their position, but they managed to run away just in time. I can't find anything on the BBC news website, but it was on the news earlier. The attack occurred whilst they were on air.

More on the sinking, but no actual mention of which news agency this came from. www.itv.com...

[edit on 10-8-2008 by mirageofdeceit]

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by In nothing we trust

They are probably distracting the attention of the general public, with Volleyball and ping pong tournements while they are escaling the regional conflict in the Middle east to begin WWIII.

Well, lets hope nobody starts arming the rebels in China just to make the Olympics that much more distracting.

This has to be a play to engulf the entire region in a regional war which will spread between China, Russia, Pakastan, Afghanistan, India, Turkey, Iraq and Iran.

Eight terrorists killed, two blow themselves up in Xinjiang

news.xinhuanet.com...

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by mirageofdeceit
Does anyone know the types of aircraft involved in this conflict? A BBC camera crew were targeted earlier by a ground attack aircraft. It fired rockets on their position, but they managed to run away just in time. I can't find anything on the BBC news website, but it was on the news earlier. The attack occurred whilst they were on air.
[edit on 10-8-2008 by mirageofdeceit]

Russia is basically showcasing sixty years of Soviet/Russian weapons development. They've used the Su-24 "Fencer," Su-25 "Frogfoot," finally using the Su-27 "Flanker" to maintain air superiority, and they're even using the Tu-22M "Backfire-C" strategic bomber. Its also quite possible they're using the Mi-24 Hind" gunship and the new Mi-28 "Havoc" and Ka-50 "Hokum." Its funny because these are aircraft that we only got to see in action while playing flight simulator games on the PC.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by maloy

Its all about the drugs. Georgia is the drug route for the Opium coming out of Afghanistan on its way to Europe. That explains why you seen our drug czar in every meeting with Putin and Bush during the Olympics, When Putin was there.

www.abovetopsecret.com...'

top topics

join