It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this what brought down ATS today?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   
ATS was brought down today for several hours. www.abovetopsecret.com...

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

At about 5:00 AM EST, there was an as yet undiagnosed high-load condition on the database server. The server has been rebooted and we're looking at the problem.

Preliminary indications are pointing to some potential data corruption in the u2u data... more as we know it.

It has been suggested that there may be a link to two other alleged events reported on ATS today.

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
Okay... here's the really odd thing...

Our increased load (as reported in the "slow queries" log) began about the same time as these reports...
Sudden lightness in sky
www.abovetopsecret.com...
Sudden darkness in sky
www.abovetopsecret.com...

huh?

As it is well known that electromagnetic fields affect electrical equipment, and obviously that includes computers, could this have anything to do with these seeming unrelated events?
news.nationalgeographic.com...

I am not stating that this is the explanation but just putting the information out there. This is a possible and probable scientific explanation.

[edit on 10-8-2008 by UFOpsychiczebra]

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   
If it was the magnetic field, much more widespread computer chaos would have been known by now. ATS is not the only one having a computer.

[edit on 10-8-2008 by Copernicus]

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Copernicus

If it was the magnetic field, much more widespread computer chaos would have been known by now. ATS is not the only one having a computer.

I know ATS is the all seeing, all knowing portal, but have you thought there is just a chance that those whose computers were affected might be finding it more than a little hard to get online and post about it? Also, hard as it may be (shocking in fact!) there are people who are not members of ATS and so you wouldn't be reading about their computer problems on here.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Its not just on this site either. I have been trying to get to at least 6 other sites and DNS errors and other server errors are being reported.

Zindo

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ZindoDoone

im having long load times, but only on ATS.

could it depend on your location?

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ZindoDoone

That's interesting. Is there an attack going on? If the servers of several websites are down maybe there is a problem linked to recent military activity in Georgia?

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZindoDoone
Its not just on this site either. I have been trying to get to at least 6 other sites and DNS errors and other server errors are being reported.

Zindo

Provide some links please.

All the sites I visit many times every day are working fine.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Copernicus

Why are you taking this so personally? No one in this thread is trying to provide definitive answers we are all just making guesses, suggesting things and adding anecdotal remarks.

Btw, the links would be useless as a test for you anyway, as the sites might be back up by now.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 01:47 PM
link   
EMP DoS.

Well I'll be darned, that would be new

Or would it...

If anyone closer to source would like to comment...

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by UFOpsychiczebra
reply to post by Copernicus

Why are you taking this so personally? No one in this thread is trying to provide definitive answers we are all just making guesses, suggesting things and adding anecdotal remarks.

Btw, the links would be useless as a test for you anyway, as the sites might be back up by now.

Im not taking it personally at all. I am just trying to find out if more sites were affected by this as was claimed. Its called critical thinking.

Besides, SkepticOverlord already posted that the problems with this site had to do with errors in the U2U system which go a long way back, even to the backups.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I noticed some issues on wincustomize website last night it lasted about 1 hour or so this was around about the same time as you guys have posted this.

weird so thought i would just inform you guys to maybe add to your list..

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   
There was a G1 geomagnetic storm warning issued for the past 24hours, may of had something to do with it.

RSOE EDIS

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   
There have been some DNS problems lately, I read about it on some tech websites, some blackhats found a new exploit, and it will probably take some time for everyone to patch.

There are also claims of cyberwar in Georgia, and people are saying it's the same style as the attacks on Estonia not so long ago, there may well be a little fall out due to that, but it shouldn't effect us in the west much, except for collatoral damage.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Everything is fine here now. Some sites are slow and its mostly search engines for me. Google, 123, Ask.com was real slow earlier but now seems fine. A few firearms sites just came back up also. Wonder if we will ever know for sure,LOL!!!

Zindo

new topics

top topics

join