It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2008 Beijing Olympics

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 09:46 PM
link   
so many world records have been broken by now,that's so amazing,yesterday's men's 100 meters,the result is 10:68,how could be that humanly possible!this olympic games must be one of the greatest olympics down in the history.chinese team till now is faring pretty well.good luck to them.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 04:59 AM
link   
it was 9:69... 10 seconds was broken a long time ago

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by enlighten2012
maybe to you this is the smallest detail though to me its disgusting. and regardless if the western media brought it to my att or not, its a fact. do we just overlook 'minor' things as this because china has 1 million other reasons to speak of?

you seem to be very patriotic and thats cool, though when people have critisims about china, maybe just open your eyes-ears alittle instead of putting up a wall when others just want to have their say/views.

btw, i dont need to hear your views on tibet ectectect because i already know the facts and i didnt get them from 'western media' either.

China is a fast developing country and far from perfect
if you only concentrate on its positive side, China is heaven
if you only concentrate on its negative side, China is hell
So, if you want to understand China objectively, you should see both sides
and evaluate which side is dominant.
About Tibet, if someone really want to know whether Tibetan are oppressed
jailed, tortured, slaughtered, the only way is to be there.see with your
own eyes.(fortunately I have been there)
If so called "human right abuse" in Tibet specifically mean the punishment
of those separatists who want to split Tibet from China, I can definitely
tell you that they are our enemy, not only the enemy of communist party
but also the enemy of all Chinese people, and they deserve severe punishment.
I won't pay any sympathy on them even if they are treated like that.

[edit on 18-8-2008 by gs001]

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 08:29 AM
link   
china now is having a huge lead in gold medal tally.and i think there is no way for other countries to overtake china for gold medals.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by haidian
china now is having a huge lead in gold medal tally.and i think there is no way for other countries to overtake china for gold medals.

Doesnt amaze me. Basically playing at home is always an advantage. Plus there other factors such as cheating that are coming up at a rapid pace.

I am impressed by Chinas gymnastic team.

There were several retired pro gymnast that are saying the scores were being padded in favor of China.

I am enjoying the olympics very much. The beauty and culuture of the country. But I am seeing more and more evidence of how corrupt China is.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I love how the chinese people really give of themselves in this olympics! the general chinese seem like such nice, enthusiactic, happy people.. they are genuinly happy for other people winning too ..and I love it.. makes me want to go to china even more.

so
to the general, random chinese

[edit on 18-8-2008 by miss halfway]

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by AndrewTB
There were several retired pro gymnast that are saying the scores were being padded in favor of China.

All of them American

The way gymnastics are scored changed so these retired "pro" gymnasts probably dont have a idea what they are talking about

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Celebration of Phelps vs. Execution of world's greatest athletes - what you would expect from illuminati end times redux

Swimming farce (1) generating medals on demand, in total contradiction with definition of sports, with
- four different styles instead of simply the CITIUS maxim (the fastest path);
- proliferation of distances that have been proved today to be totally redundant (e.g. 100 and 200 m), with the same people in the podium each time;
All this pushed to the utter limits with
- events combining four styles...
- ... and relays where there is no difference to the individual races except the addition of each performance, i.e. no relay that is passed.
On the other hand nazi propaganda techniques based on the BIG LIE, to destroy natural sports and the world's best athletes, beginning with Usain Bolt. (2)

Notes

(1) At the Olympics even the swimming farse pales in comparison with the array of medals in other "sports", beginning with those decided not by measurable performances but by point giving judges, from gymnastics to boxing. Note also that one of the side effects of declaring as sport what in fact is not, leads to grotesque best "athletes" (e.g. children in gymnastics).

(2) If you live in IllumiNATZiland and you wonder why the most impressive demonstrations in sports ever, by Usain Bolt - 9.92 in jogging look before the 9.69 world record, very very close to the human limits, without having pushed it to his limits - was "commented" everywhere as "impossible to believe that he is not on drugs", then try to get the basics (2), even if computing 1+1 is a seemingly impossilbe task for totally brainwashed sheeple.

The basics:
doping-conspiracy.blogspot.com...
Google, as usual, knows it best:
www.google.com...

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Normally the Medal Standing should be given for the country having the most Gold Medals, I think this is the way it is stipulated by the Olympic Commitee.

So, it should be China on top (39 gold medals, as of 2008-08-18) follow by the USA with 22, UK with 12, etc. Watch any on-line newspapers (BBC, LeMonde, aftonbladet (Sweden), etc.), they all follow that rule.

Obviously, the US Media show the total number of medals, in violation to current method of Medal Standing, in order to put the USA first.

Childish attitude.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by PopeyeFAFL
Normally the Medal Standing should be given for the country having the most Gold Medals, I think this is the way it is stipulated by the Olympic Commitee.

So, it should be China on top (39 gold medals, as of 2008-08-18) follow by the USA with 22, UK with 12, etc. Watch any on-line newspapers (BBC, LeMonde, aftonbladet (Sweden), etc.), they all follow that rule.

Obviously, the US Media show the total number of medals, in violation to current method of Medal Standing, in order to put the USA first.

Childish attitude.

There is no official method to "violate" the U.S. Media has ALWAYS shown the total Medal tally, thanks for sounding like a fool

If there is doping in these games, they will be caught, blood samples are kept for 8 years if I'm not mistaken...you can strip medals from doping but it is rare to strip them from poor judging, which I find to be a much bigger issue.

[edit on 18-8-2008 by yellowcard]

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by yellowcard
There is no official method to "violate" the U.S. Media has ALWAYS shown the total Medal tally, thanks for sounding like a fool

I think the USA is the only country that does that, and it makes no sense. Why rank by the number of events you've come first, second and third in?

You certainly don't apply that logic to other sports - if you did, the Buffalo Sabers would be known as one of the greatest teams in NHL history.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by vox2442

I think the USA is the only country that does that, and it makes no sense. Why rank by the number of events you've come first, second and third in?

You certainly don't apply that logic to other sports - if you did, the Buffalo Sabers would be known as one of the greatest teams in NHL history.

Probably because there are occurrences when a team is an underdog but comes out to win. For instance what of the silver winner in basketball this year? The U.S. will get the gold undoubtedly...but you have to count out the silver team completely? That's pretty dumb if you ask me, if you want to keep "score" then just say the Gold counts as 3 points, the silver counts as 2 points and the bronze counts as 1 point...add them up and see who leads. No medal winner should be excluded from the spotlight, especially with all the work they put into the events, all the dreams they have, and how sometimes a medal can be separated by hundredths or thousandths of a second. I don't see those who count the "winning" nation by golds out there busting their as* only to come up with a silver or a bronze. If you did it with a point system the Chinese would be winning...barely, especially if you presume that the U.S. will in gold in Softball, W Basketball, M Basketball, M Volleyball and W Volleyball....as it currently stands it would be THIS factor in presumptions and you'd have THIS

[edit on 18-8-2008 by yellowcard]

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by yellowcard

Look mate, I'm a Canadian. Don't lecture me on being left out of the spotlight because of a poor medal showing. 's too soon, know what I mean?

Gold medal means your team won the event.

Silver means second place.

Bronze means third place.

That's how it's always been.

The ranking is determined by the number of events your team has won. Not come second in, not come third, not placed 6th in. Ranking by the total number of medals received, or by a points system where the number of athletes is taken proportional to the number of events participated in, divided by the square root of the total medals received makes for interesting trivia, but little else.

Face it, every other country in the world shows Olympic standing by number of events won, except the USA - when they're not finishing on top in the golds.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 10:51 PM
link   
They should honesty cut the Silver and Bronze. In a competition there can only be one winner and awarding medals for not winning is awarding mediocrity. Whats next, they give out participation awards?

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by miss halfway
I love how the chinese people really give of themselves in this olympics! the general chinese seem like such nice, enthusiactic, happy people.. they are genuinly happy for other people winning too ..and I love it.. makes me want to go to china even more.

so
to the general, random chinese

[edit on 18-8-2008 by miss halfway]

Im not following the Olympics but your right about Chinese people.They have always been polite ,friendly, and respectful here in Canada.Now i dont if its true but rumor has it that many have defected and dropped their membership to the CCP.It would be nice to see a chinese democratic revolution without a shot being fired.
Anyways Go USA!

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by vox2442
reply to post by yellowcard

Look mate, I'm a Canadian. Don't lecture me on being left out of the spotlight because of a poor medal showing. 's too soon, know what I mean?

Gold medal means your team won the event.

Silver means second place.

Bronze means third place.

That's how it's always been.

The ranking is determined by the number of events your team has won. Not come second in, not come third, not placed 6th in. Ranking by the total number of medals received, or by a points system where the number of athletes is taken proportional to the number of events participated in, divided by the square root of the total medals received makes for interesting trivia, but little else.

Face it, every other country in the world shows Olympic standing by number of events won, except the USA - when they're not finishing on top in the golds.

That's not even true, the BBC even has the total medal count displayed....so "mate", please get over yourself. You totally made a fool of yourself, the U.S. has ALWAYS used the total medal count, when you're wrong, you're wrong, you can't change it, get over it.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by chinawhite
They should honesty cut the Silver and Bronze. In a competition there can only be one winner and awarding medals for not winning is awarding mediocrity. Whats next, they give out participation awards?

This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard, hey guys let's completely ignore Olympic tradition, because that's not how it's done in the "real" sports world! OMG China! I bet if China only received Silver Medals and NO Gold, the tone of this thread relating to other medals would be completely different. Giving a medal for second and third is not anything close to a "participatory medal." So I guess this means you think we should also not give divisional titles, pennants, conference titles or anything. Because those aren't really number one?

Yeah, ok
I can't believe how immature some people are acting.

[edit on 19-8-2008 by yellowcard]

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Don't try and insult me with you petty personal attacks

The IOC, the offical olympic committee uses the Gold medal tally as their way to count the amount of medals wons. They are the governing body of the olympics and has more authority to state which way the olympics are measured. The USA media likes to use the total medal count since they know there is a good chance the USA will come second and the US can't be shown losing so they use a different measuring methods from the rest of the world

No medal winner should be excluded from the spotlight, especially with all the work they put into the events, all the dreams they have, and how sometimes a medal can be separated by hundredths or thousandths of a second

Why dont we add the people who "almost" got there to win the bronze, wouldn't that make it even more fair because "all the work they put into the events, all the dreams they have" matter in obtaining who is the best at their sport. So what if they are seperated by the smallest of margins?, Should we give consolidatory gold medals because they almost made it?.

Gold counts as 3 points, the silver counts as 2 points and the bronze counts as 1 point.

Ask any athlete to consider your "point" system and you will be laughed out of the room. A Silver worth 2/3 of a gold?. .....

That's not even true, the BBC even has the total medal count displayed....so "mate", please get over yourself. You totally made a fool of yourself

And the fool speaks!. Dont accuse others of making themselves a "total" fool when you are making these outrageous claims

BBC

news.bbc.co.uk...

Athens 2004
news.bbc.co.uk...

I dont see any "total medal count" on display.

I bet if China only received Silver Medals and NO Gold, the tone of this thread relating to other medals would be completely different.

Absolutely not. Unlike you, the rest of the world looks at the Gold Medal tally such as described by the IOC and hence our correct statements on the progress of the olympics. The USA on the otherhand is in the process of mass media who only tries to show how great the Americans are in every light possible.

Giving a medal for second and third is not anything close to a "participatory medal."

Why dont we give whoever is runner up a 2/3 of the superbowl trophy. They can get two of them and say they won two superbowls. Thats a fantastic idea. Even better idea, why dont we hand out participation awards shaped like gold medals so everyone gets rewarded because "all the work they put into the events, all the dreams they have" really matter in professional sport

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 06:30 AM
link   

That's not even true, the BBC even has the total medal count displayed....so "mate", please get over yourself. You totally made a fool of yourself, the U.S. has ALWAYS used the total medal count, when you're wrong, you're wrong, you can't change it, get over it.

Olympics

Medals table
Tuesday, 19 August 2008 11:33 UK
Rank Country Gold Silver Bronze TOTAL
1 China 39 14 15 68
2 USA 23 24 26 73

news.bbc.co.uk...

See there where it says "Rank"? See the 1 underneath it? That means first place.
Based on the number of Gold medals. China is the country with 39 gold medals. They're also ranked number one. By the BBC. Has nothing to do with the total being displayed, it's got everything to do with the RANKING. As in first, second, third. China, USA, Great Britain.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by chinawhite

Don't try and insult me with you petty personal attacks

Saying that you are acting like a fool isn't a personal attack.

Originally posted by chinawhiteThe IOC, the offical olympic committee uses the Gold medal tally as their way to count the amount of medals wons. They are the governing body of the olympics and has more authority to state which way the olympics are measured. The USA media likes to use the total medal count since they know there is a good chance the USA will come second and the US can't be shown losing so they use a different measuring methods from the rest of the world

There is no "official" or "legal" way that medal counts have to be represented. As I have stated the U.S. has ALWAYS shown and ranked by the total medal count. It has always been like that, always, always, always. It was like that in '96, '00, '04. You name it, and guess who had the most gold in all of those year (except '04 if I'm not mistaken)...the U.S. did.

Originally posted by chinawhiteWhy dont we add the people who "almost" got there to win the bronze, wouldn't that make it even more fair because "all the work they put into the events, all the dreams they have" matter in obtaining who is the best at their sport. So what if they are seperated by the smallest of margins?, Should we give consolidatory gold medals because they almost made it?.

No, but in the past if people tied they were both given gold medals...you are making stupid logical claims. Think before you post.

Originally posted by chinawhiteAsk any athlete to consider your "point" system and you will be laughed out of the room. A Silver worth 2/3 of a gold?. .....

Really? Go ask an athlete then

Originally posted by chinawhiteAnd the fool speaks!. Dont accuse others of making themselves a "total" fool when you are making these outrageous claims

BBC

news.bbc.co.uk...

Athens 2004
news.bbc.co.uk...

I dont see any "total medal count" on display.

It's right there...right there in the image you just posted, it's the far right column...yeah...uhm...the fool can't read?

Originally posted by chinawhiteAbsolutely not. Unlike you, the rest of the world looks at the Gold Medal tally such as described by the IOC and hence our correct statements on the progress of the olympics. The USA on the otherhand is in the process of mass media who only tries to show how great the Americans are in every light possible.

Really? That's why some countries are head over heels when they win a medal at all? And why the very image you posted has the total medal tally on the far right column...and you talk about the US Media?
look at what the Chinese GOVERNMENT does
Ohhh, man, sorry, I'm choking on irony...yeah, anyhow I highly doubt you would have the same stance if the U.S. was number one in the gold tally and China was last.

Originally posted by chinawhiteWhy dont we give whoever is runner up a 2/3 of the superbowl trophy. They can get two of them and say they won two superbowls. Thats a fantastic idea. Even better idea, why dont we hand out participation awards shaped like gold medals so everyone gets rewarded because "all the work they put into the events, all the dreams they have" really matter in professional sport

We do, they are called conference titles, or pennants, or a divisional titles, etc...which is exactly why I asked you if you believed those should be taken away. As for your "participation awards" I'm sick of you saying that, a silver or a bronze is not any where near a participatory medal, and it's Olympic tradition that you have 3 medals...and considering the games are held every 4 years, it makes perfect sense.

[edit on 19-8-2008 by yellowcard]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join