It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flood control ARGGGHHHHHH

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I know I've mentioned this before but can we please have the flood control on U2Us removed for members over a certain post count?

I have to stay online for ages just to reply to a few U2Us.

If the flood control was removed for members over a certain post count it would be fair and would not cause problems.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   
How many U2U's are you sending ?

I U2U all day and don't have any problems.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
How many U2U's are you sending ?

I U2U all day and don't have any problems.

Maybe mods don't have flood control?

Is it only members that have flood control on their U2Us then?

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by UFOpsychiczebra

From what I hear Mods communicate telepathically. No worries about "flood control", just psychic overload.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
reply to post by UFOpsychiczebra

From what I hear Mods communicate telepathically. No worries about "flood control", just psychic overload.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 02:52 PM
link   
[edit on 6-8-2008 by lombozo]

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by lombozo

[edit on 6-8-2008 by lombozo]

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 03:30 PM
link   
"flood control " in my own experience simply limits U2Us to a 60 second gap between each

why do you need to U2U faster ??????????????????

are you really reading and relying to worthwhile U2U messages in under 60 seconds ????

i resectfully sugest you slow down - and strive to make your U2U traffic quality - not quantity

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

For us who type over 80 words a minute, I have to say I hate it also. Say if you wrote a thread and got three U2's, I have to sit and wait for flood control before responding to the next.

I have to disagree with the quality point made above. Private messages, in my opinion is just regular language and getting an understanding between members. It's not a dissertation.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

wow - you type 80 WPM - so [SNIP] what ???????????????

read what i wrote again - you have to READ the U2U - then formulate a response and type it all in under 60 seconds

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 7-8-2008 by Gemwolf]

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

Wow. I wrote that to say people who can type fast, (maybe I should have added, also think fast) can do that all in under 30 seconds.

If you know, most of my U2U's have been simple things that don't require critical thinking nor logic and reasoning, just a simple answer.

Making a broad statement, like formulate a response just doesn't hold weight, because there are many reasons why a U2U can be limited in wordage. I can't believe I am debating the mechanics of a U2U.

[edit on 6-8-2008 by jhill76]

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I type 100+ wpm (not that I want to turn this into a ****-measuring competition) and I don't see a problem with the U2U flood control. Preventing multiple submissions is more important to me than having to wait a minute.

Can't you:
1. Wait 60 seconds and refresh
2. Do something else or read a thread or check on another site for 60 seconds
3. Type out your next email in a word document and then just paste it in once the flood control as subsided

????

How often do you need to consecutively email multiple people in a row? If you talk to someone that much, get their email.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Yarcofin

I see your case in point. The only time, flood control bothered me is when you get like three e-mails all at once. Plus, myself I am an impatient person (a quality of my own accord), so, this bothers me that I have to wait. Plus, when you are trying to respond quick and at work or about to leave or something along those lines. There are too many variables to consider here.

SideNote: I respond to people who make claims and there are other sides to the story, otherwise I just read and move on along. So, flood control doesn't bother me like I want to scream or lash out.

Also, with FireFox, I have multiple tabs open and sometimes try to respond to more than one U2U at a time, so, there in essence is another variable that people should consider, before jumping on, well it doesn't bother me. What doesn't bother you, can very well indeed bother the next person.

[edit on 6-8-2008 by jhill76]

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

Agreed.

I type 350+ WPM and this issue bothers me a whole lot.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I type 4000 WPM and I just go get a new keyboard between U2Us.

Actually I browse the board. It's not a biggie for me.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

My grandmother was able to type 100 wpm on an old long travel manual typewriter with a manual return (ding). Now, -that's- fast.

She was also 4'11 and could make a grown man and Jet pilot cry 'mama'.

I shudder to think what a race of full-sized clones of her could do.

Back on track, I'd also be in favor of the 60 second limit be reduced for long-time members with over 50K posts or something. Gives one something for which to shoot.

It's especially problematic when trying to manage the BTS psychic bowling league newsletter(*), not to mention trying to help the FSM's prayer requests. :0

2 cents.

(*) not that I know anything about that.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Badge01
I'd also be in favor of the 60 second limit be reduced for long-time members with over 50K posts or something.

Nobody has 50,000 posts. Not even close.

Not even at 4000 WPM.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by SteveR

Well there ya go.

Best get busy...

(psst, how about posts=points?)

BTW, what's your psychic handicap? Typically I roll a 40. (*)

(*) Just ask Dev (DevolutionEvolvd) about 'Toby McGuire',

[edit on 6-8-2008 by Badge01]

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Wow this thread went downhill quickly.

Regardless of whether people are unaffected by it, there are people who are. So let's try and come up with a solution.

Maybe it can be unlocked once you hit certain posts, or certain points. I think it could even be something that can be added to the ATS Store for 10,000 points or more, give people something else to spend their points on.

[edit on 6/8/2008 by SilentShadow]

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I'm not taking sides in this. It just doesn't effect me that much.

Seriously, what has happened to people? Sixty Seconds? Slow down and smell the flowers. If 60 seconds as opposed to 30 seconds matters that much, you're not having fun here, you're competing.

Time isn't that important. Really. You'll only live till you die. In between all you need to do is be a good kind human being and enjoy the trip.

I use flood control to go potty, remember a Dylan song, find my smokes, read a joke, get a beer, or sometimes, just stare at my monitor and think happy thoughts. Sixty seconds isn't long enough to compose a grocery list; you'll need at least two such minor delays.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join