It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Interesting photos from Phoenix and rovers

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Carl Sagan posing with Viking in Death Valley Nevada...

[edit on 3-8-2008 by zorgon]

Loving the Mars photos in this thread. However, Death Valley is in California near the Nevada border, but still in (the Peoples Republic of) California.

Carry on ...

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
But that 'mud' Its dry out here in the deserts of Nevada... If I stir up the soil a few inches its STILL DRY and I will NOT see the soil get darker until I dig a little deeper and hit moisture...
I forgot that you could be talking about dry mud, is that it?

How can you stir up dry mud and it still keeps on being dry mud? Doesn't it turn into dust again because it's dry?

Isn't the moisture that turns the dust into mud?

I don't understand it.

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 09:35 PM
link   
stunning. completely and utterly beautiful. Star and flag is the least I can do.

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Krypton

I never thought I would see images like this in my lifetime. I am overwhelmed. Thank you so much for making these available to us, and welcome. Star and flag does not even come close...

[edit on 3-8-2008 by spookjr]

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ALLis0NE

AllisONE! you are onto something big!

This is WITHOUT A DOUBT an un-natural structure, the blue disc

has a mirror crescent on the left. Nature abhors straight lines,

and perfect circles!

This honestly looks like an ornamental relief in a shattered wall,

which would be at home at the ruins of Delos or Thebes...

!!!

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by drphilxr
AllisONE! you are onto something big!
He may be onto something, but that photo was posted by ElectroMagnetic Multivers three posts above that from ALLis0NE.

This is WITHOUT A DOUBT an un-natural structure, the blue disc has a mirror crescent on the left.
It's not natural because it was made by the rover and it's not a structure because it's a scrapping of the rock's surface.

Nature abhors straight lines, and perfect circles!
Nature abhors nothing, and if you look around you will find many examples of straight lines and perfect circles, just look in a mirror and you see some perfect circles looking back at you.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 05:23 AM
link   

anyway, my favourite, and this will be the 3rd thead I've posted it in, as I believe it is very interesting, and embedded metal disk?

SPIRIT: SOL 1431:8 2P253399549EFFAX05P2564L5M1_L4L5L5L5L6

Nothing strange there i'm afraid.

That 'DISC' shape was made by the mars Rover's RAT, or "Rock Abrasion Tool".

Image of 'disc' on JPL's site

Spacecraft: Surface Operations: Instruments: Rock Abrasion Tool (RAT)

Etc. Etc. Etc....

Cheers
AoN

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Am I the only one that believes that Mars has a blue/purple sky with breathable atmosphere and that we have been going backwards and forwards to this planet for around 30 years? and on two seperate occasions when the landers 'malfunctioned' after landing, the powers that be carried on there research and established contact?......am I........am I really?

Great thread, always nice to see photos from another world!

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 07:17 AM
link   
I found this first and this made me seriously doubt that it was made by the abrasion tool, it is not only 3D, when the other looks 'flush' with the ground.

Then you added this and I have to say, that's pretty much it, can't really argue anymore, but I'm still keeping in my mind in may be something else, only time will tell, and sometimes not even that.

Still note however that you can see the rock details were to 'abrasion' tool was, on the other, it looks like scratched metal to me, although this does seem to cover it...mostly.

EMM

[edit on 4-8-2008 by ElectroMagnetic Multivers]

[edit on 4-8-2008 by ElectroMagnetic Multivers]

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by franspeakfree

No, I believe there are a few planets in our solar system that are inhabited, we'll be lucky to here about Mars though, so I wouldn't hold your breath for any others.

EMM

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Also another pic of the "metal disc".

[edit on 4/8/08 by blupblup]

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by ElectroMagnetic Multivers

If you use a tool like that for long enough it will make a hole (I think the maximum depth for the RAT is 5mm), but if you use it only for a short time without applying much strength it will only rub the surface of rock, cleaning its surface, and I think that is the difference.

Also, I think the RAT has more than one tool, so it can make different marks.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by klatunictobarata
reply to post by zorgon

Hey Z,

I indeed looked at that panorama...and what about it I respectfully ask?

So it's colored to depict some nice clouds and red dunes. Earth like sky and all.

Are these corrected as to proper color by someone else and not NASA?

What did I miss?

The photo looks to be stretched or tampered with.

Look at the highlighted part below the rover.

See the tear?

[edit on 4-8-2008 by Targa]

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Targa

That image is made with several photos, what you noticed was one of the joins between photos.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Does anyone else think that a few of these images appear to be CGI? The image of one of Mars' moon (Phobos?) looks extremely fake to me. Of course, I've never been to Mars and so I can't say, but it definitely looks painted to my eyes. Also, there was a photo a few posts up that showed the Rover using it's RAT on a rock, the environment in this picture looks very false to me here, as well. Has anyone else noticed this?

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
If you use a tool like that for long enough it will make a hole (I think the maximum depth for the RAT is 5mm), but if you use it only for a short time without applying much strength it will only rub the surface of rock, cleaning its surface, and I think that is the difference.

Also, I think the RAT has more than one tool, so it can make different marks.

Many tools
On a swivel arm with rotating tool holder...

The reason some are deeper is the hardness of the rock...

Watch this animation... at the end it shows the tool in action

www.maasdigital.com...

Now having worked with rock tools for many years... even my diamond cutting tips and blades wear out fairly quickly and I use a cutting solution to cool and lubricate the cutters...

What I want to know is how the hell has this tool been working for over FOUR YEARS running dry and needing no cleaning or replacement?

Trust me rock drilling is a messy job
but every time I see a self picture of the RAT its shiny and spotless...

This is taken on Sol 30...

[edit on 4-8-2008 by zorgon]

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Taj Mikel
Does anyone else think that a few of these images appear to be CGI? The image of one of Mars' moon (Phobos?) looks extremely fake to me. Of course, I've never been to Mars and so I can't say, but it definitely looks painted to my eyes.
Phobos looks really strange.

See this page with photos from Mars Express.

Also, there was a photo a few posts up that showed the Rover using it's RAT on a rock, the environment in this picture looks very false to me here, as well. Has anyone else noticed this?
Do you mean this image?

This is not a photo.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
Loving the Mars photos in this thread. However, Death Valley is in California near the Nevada border, but still in (the Peoples Republic of) California.

Death Valley National Park is located on the eastern border of south-central California and includes a small area of Nevada

Death VALLEY itself covers a wider range and Devil's Hole is in NEVADA that is why the Pupfish is a NEVADA fish

water.usgs.gov...
www.pupfish.net...

Nellis AF Range is on the East side of Death Valley
www.lib.utexas.edu...

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Targa
I indeed looked at that panorama...and what about it I respectfully ask?
So it's colored to depict some nice clouds and red dunes. Earth like sky and all.
Are these corrected as to proper color by someone else and not NASA?
What did I miss?

Oh I can't take it anymore

What did you miss? Well its a fantastic panorama to be sure and it IS a true image(s) from Mars and in all fairness I DID fudge the results by asking you to not look at the Rover...

That photo is absolute proof that NASA uses a photoshop like process...

What did you miss?

WHO TOOK THE PHOTO OF THE ROVER

NASA even says at the source that they pasted the Rover into the image for 'Special Effects'

Just like that image of that perfectly straight horizon I posted earlier

Here is another one

So now I have absolute proof NASA is fudging images...

They don't use airbrushing or photoshop just as I have said before...

This synthetic image of the Spirit Mars Exploration Rover on top of a rock called "Jibsheet" was produced using "Virtual Presence in Space" technology. Developed at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, Calif., this technology combines visualization and image-processing tools with Hollywood-style special effects. The image was created using a photorealistic model of the rover and a false-color mosaic. The size of the rover in the image is approximately correct and was based on the size of the rover tracks in the mosaic. The mosaic was assembled from frames taken by the panoramic camera on the rover's 489th Martian day, or sol (May 19, 2005)

Image Note: Rover model by Dan Maas; synthetic image by Koji Kuramura, Zareh Gorjian, Mike Stetson and Eric M. De Jong.

Image credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech/Cornell

Right from the horses mouth

Here is the caption of the picture in question

This synthetic image of the Spirit Mars Exploration Rover on the flank of "Husband Hill" was produced using "Virtual Presence in Space" technology. Developed at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, Calif., this technology combines visualization and image-processing tools with Hollywood-style special effects. The image was created using a photorealistic model of the rover and a false-color mosaic. The size of the rover in the image is approximately correct and was based on the size of the rover tracks in the mosaic. The mosaic was assembled from frames taken by the panoramic camera on the rover's 454th Martian day, or sol (April 13, 2005);

Even ArMaP missed the Rover

marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov...
marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov...

TRUST NASA I always say... they make Vegas Entertainers proud

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaPDo you mean this image?

This is not a photo.

No that is a clip from the ANIMATION I just linked to above...

THIS ONE REALLY COOL MUST SEE ROVER LANDING

WAY COOL

LOOK AT IT

www.maasdigital.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join