It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking: Water ice on Mars confirmed!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by deathpoet69
nasa knew it already that there is life on mars the first time they sent satellite there,they just releasing it gradually and then the next thing that nasa will say there is alien life and civilization on mars.

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bunch

Originally posted by TheNetherlands
Damn it, just digg into the surface, look INSIDE the planet, not ON the planet. But no, they wont do that, BECAUSE THEY ALREADY FREAKIN KNOW THE MARTIANS LIVE IN IT INSTEAD OF ON IT!

Bunch of frauds!!

Thats a great point...just by scratching the surface they were able to find this!!!!

I wonder what they would find if they send a human mission or some better equipment!!!!

A human mission with drilling tools.
Ah wel they wont even need it, there are enough entrys into the planet on the surface itself. And i doubt they will send manned missions before disclosure, cause they already know there are martians and they already know they live IN mars.

Look, its a great find, but i am getting angry when they spread this news, especially when they spread it like this, as if they found the chicken with the golden eggs. Why i am getting angry about it? because they take us for fools, because they tell us this while everyone knows they know so much more...

Fraudulent pigs.

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 09:09 AM
link   
What's the big deal? There's loads of water on earth, why go all the way to mars to find something u got loads of here!!

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by mopusvindictus

Originally posted by TheNetherlands
Damn it, just digg into the surface, look INSIDE the planet, not ON the planet. But no, they wont do that, BECAUSE THEY ALREADY FREAKIN KNOW THE MARTIANS LIVE IN IT INSTEAD OF ON IT!

Bunch of frauds!!

Brilliant!

Some one else on earth knows this but me! Thank You for saying it...

I'd seriously be willing o be droped off on mars with limited equipment if I had the location of a decent cave entrance...

A: mars is not active at the core the way the earth is and there is tons of ice in the soil...

This means two things... go down a little bit and the temp goes up and the ice melts... rivers flow into mars as a certainty

without active vulcanism and with much less heat in the interior... the planet is very cavernous and even hollow almost in many regions...

so you have flowing water and caverns far larger than anything on earth in abundance... there is no way this is not the case...

add to that the planet flys by the Earths debris Tail every year for millions of years

so life has landed on it seeds, viruses bacteria...

that planet is the real Hallow Earth

can't wait...

Right back at ya, finally someone who knows it.
If you have the chance to go there, give me a call,..

Instead, i am almost certain that we as a human race are an exception. I think there are way more races living inside their planet instead of on

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   
There was an article of this in the news paper today, (about ice on mars) and apparently NASA are planning another probe / device which i to be used to directly search for life now they know some of the key ingrediants are there. It said they arent expecting to find anything majour, even an insect type creature, and at the moment are only hoping to find Germs!

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Here's something that might be of interest if you haven't allready been informed about it.

orininal link i think; www.universetoday.com...

It would appear that the US President has been briefed by Phoenix scientists about the discovery of something more "provocative" than the discovery of water existing on the Martian surface. This news comes just as the Thermal and Evolved Gas Analyzer (TEGA) confirmed experimental evidence for the existence of water in the Mars regolith on Thursday. Whilst NASA scientists are not claiming that life once existed on the Red Planet's surface, new data appears to indicate the "potential for life" more conclusively than the TEGA water results. Apparently these new results are being kept under wraps until further, more detailed analysis can be carried out, but we are assured that this announcement will be huge…

So why is there all this secrecy? According to scientists in communication with Aviation Week & Space Technology, the next big discovery will need to be mulled over for a while before it is announced to the world. In fact, the Jet Propulsion Laboratory science team for the MECA wet-chemistry instrument that made these undisclosed findings were kept out of the July 31st news conference (confirming water) so additional analysis could be carried out, avoiding any questions that may have revealed their preliminary results. They have also made the decision to discuss the results with the Bush Administration's Presidential Science Advisor's office before a press conference between mid-August and early September.

Although good news, Thursday's announcement of the discovery of water on Mars comes as no surprise to mission scientists and some are amused by the media's reaction to the TEGA results. "They have discovered water on Mars for the third or fourth time," one senior Mars scientist joked. These new MECA results are, according to the Phoenix team, a little more complex than the water "discovery." Scientists are keen to point out however, that this secretive news will in no way indicate the existence of life (past or present) on Mars; Phoenix simply is not equipped make this discovery. What it can do is test the Mars soil for compounds suitable to support life. The MECA instrument does have microscopes capable of resolving bacterial-scale life forms however, but this is not the focus of the forthcoming announcement, sources say.

This new MECA discovery, combined with TEGA data will probably expose something more compelling, completing another piece of the puzzle in the search for the correct conditions for life as we know it to survive on Mars. Critical to this search is to understand how the recently confirmed water and Mars regolith behave together under the Phoenix lander in the cold Martian arctic.

The MECA instrument had already made the landmark discovery that Mars "soil" was much like the soil more familiar on Earth. This finding prompted scientists to indicate that the minerals and pH levels in the regolith could support some terrestrial plants, indicating this would be useful for future Mars settlers.

What with the discovery of water, and the discovery that Mars soil is very much like the stuff we find on Earth, it is hard to guess as to what the MECA's second soil test has discovered. What ever it is, it sounds pretty significant, especially as NASA and the University of Arizona are taking extraordinary steps to avoid any more details being leaked to the outside world. I just hope were not getting excited over something benign…

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I bet they found fossils.

an other organic remains.

just scurd to say so, they dont want anyone else trying to go there without them. lol

This is all just what many have known an speculated for years.

Soon they will tell us they found a old soda vending machine, and a few dis guarded Nudy mags. heh

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Bunch

I don't see how this is a big deal. We have known there was water on Mars since the 70's. I still have a newspaper clipping from the late 70s saying that there was frozen water on Mars. I was a kid then and was so excited about that. Now I am in my 40's and NASA is still saying the same thing. This is like telling us BREAKING NEWS! Scientists have discovered CO2 on Mars!

Probable news article from 30 years in the future:
"There is absolutely positively water on Mars! No, we really mean it this time."

Shouldn't they be saying something new? Wait...

Now they have discovered something more...

A possibility of life? WHOA NELLY! Again.. What is new? Anyone who has looked into this has known that Viking discovered life (ATP) on Mars in the 70's and they just never "confirmed it."

So, now we are supposed to believe NASA is being honest with us THIS time.

[edit on 2-8-2008 by xman_in_blackx]

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Dutch (breaking) NEWS!!!
I will translate into english and post no links because you guys cant read dutch so why bother:

The White House has been alerted by NASA about plans to make an announcement soon on major new Phoenix lander discoveries concerning the search for life on Mars, scientists tell Aviation Week & Space Technology.

The data are much more complex than results related NASA's July 31 announcement that Phoenix has confirmed the presence of water at the site.

International news media trumpeted the water confirmation, which was not a surprise to any of the Phoenix researchers. "They have discovered water on Mars for the third or fourth time," one senior Mars scientists joked about the hubbub around the water announcement.

The other data not discussed openly yet are far more "provocative," Phoenix officials say.

In fact, the Jet Propulsion Laboratory science team for the MECA wet-chemistry instrument that made the findings was kept out of a July 31 news conference at the University of Arizona Phoenix control center. The goal was to prevent them from being asked any questions that could reveal information before NASA is ready to make an announcement, sources say.

The Bush Administration's Presidential Science Advisor's office, however, has been briefed on the new information that NASA hopes to release as early as mid August. It is possible an announcement would not come until September, to allow for additional analysis. That will depend upon the latest results still being analyzed from the spacecraft's organic oven and soil chemistry laboratories.

MECA's two microscopes have the resolution to detect bacteria--which would be life. Sources, however, say the microscopes have not detected bacteria.

It is intriguing that MECA could have found anything more positive than that, but NASA and the University of Arizona are taking steps to prevent word from leaking out on the nature of the discovery made during MECA's second soil test, in which water from Earth was automatically stirred with Martian soil.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Bunch

Man, Water ice on Mars....So we can safely saw that the italians are from mars, or...maybe they Romans went to mars? Did they mention what flavor of water ice

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Does anyone here thinks conspiracies aside that if the lander find evidence of life on Mars that NASA would not release that info because it could jeopardize future man missions to the planet?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join