It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking: Water ice on Mars confirmed!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Bunch

Yeah it was on this show we were watching just last night. The guy showed exactly how the phoenix has determined this by going into the desert and analyzing soil right there on the spot, and he did some soil from the desert, but he was saying that Phoenix has done this exact test and the result was that the soil on Mars can sustain plant life, it has everything a plant needs to survive, thrive and feed.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by mopusvindictus

Ah yes hollow earth. I generally don't jump to conclusions, but that theory would make a lot of sense. After all, so little is known about Mars. Hell, so little is known about Earth for that matter. I mean how far have we delved inside our own planet? There could be life teaming underneath us and us not even know it. But I digress. Nice find, I believe this is just scratching the surface of what's to come.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Is Phoenix team trying to take the credit for discovery of water on mars which everyone knows anyway ?

Oh , seems like it 'tasted' the water vapor. So shouldn't the headlines be something like 'water on mars analyzed' etc etc ?

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by deathpoet69

Originally posted by Bunch

Breaking: Water ice on Mars confirmed!

dvice.com

Thanks to a multi-national effort led by the University of Tucson, Arizona and NASA, the team's intrepid geological robot on Mars, the Phoenix lander, finally sent back the message the science community has been waiting with bated breath to hear after 62 Martian days: there is, without a doubt, water ice on Mars.
(visit the link for the full news article)

until its international news theres no point discussing it. they already knew this back in 2002 anyways just dint get any samples
please see link

science.nasa.gov...

[edit on 31-7-2008 by deathpoet69]

Well it is international news.

Can we discuss it now?

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bunch
one point that I want to make clear is that I see many people making the leap that because we have this announcement now we moving towards disclosure.... Well I don't think thats the case if that was the case I don't think this announcement would have come from NASA ... I would envision the announcement to come from some other high level government official.

Not only that, but water -> ufo -> intellifent alien life is a pretty big assumption.

hardly the premise for disclosure at all.

But, definitely a positive for the possibility of current life on mars; we have life on earth that flourishes at the bottom of the seas in sulfurous steaming volcanic vents, aswell as in the coldest regions.

it's a no brainer, imo.

and this is more than a 'reading' for water. its a verified thing now. it *IS* a big thing for the scientific community, Im sure.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by rocksolidbrain

well one thing is to suspect that there is water on Mars and another that there was the possibility of water on Mars... The Arizona team independently of government conspiracies has given us facts and we should be proud at this point that at least someone has come out with the goods..... Instead of basing our thoughts in the presumptions of few.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by TruthParadox
reply to post by mopusvindictus

Ah yes hollow earth. I generally don't jump to conclusions, but that theory would make a lot of sense. After all, so little is known about Mars. Hell, so little is known about Earth for that matter. I mean how far have we delved inside our own planet? There could be life teaming underneath us and us not even know it. But I digress. Nice find, I believe this is just scratching the surface of what's to come.

Hallow wouldn't be exactly the right word, but the core isn't in nuclear reaction so the crust has to be at the least, the very least several x thicker than earth... which is a heck of alot of space....

and as I said we know there is a layer of us under the surface around the whole planet, sorry but low atmosphere means there is an atmosphere and there is absolutely no reason to think that as you go down into caves the pressure won't go up like anywhere else... ice melts at some point within the planet...

The traces of methane Have to be coming from inside the cave systems...

and if anyone doubts this... just go visit an inactive volcano or lava tube on earth...

then take a look at the sheer size of Olympus Mons...

whn that lava cooled it must have left hundreds and hundreds of miles of cvernous space just within and underneath olympus mons....

another good spot to look would be Valles Marinis...

the bottom of the valley would have a higher atmospheric pressure naturally and like all valleies or canyons what wind there iss probably sometimes stagnates...but from here your alread very dep into mars before even hitting a cave and surely this location has many good cave systems to explore

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Good news, I hope people realize that most of the elements here exist elsewhere.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I'm sure they knew of this decades ago! C'mon you really think they will come out and tell us as soon as they made this discovery?? Who knows what else they found on Mars and havent told us yet. Look at it this way, they had the F117 since the early 70s and only in the 90s did they come out with it!
Im certain that this is the edge of the ice berg for Mars discoveries!

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Great, water on Mars. Now I know how all those trees and other vegetation NASA won't talk about can live. Also, when their done with the little ice chips, maybe they can also spend some time on the complex array of pyramids and other artificial structures in Cydonia. Oh, but they're conducting an important experiment and they're keeping the public so well informed.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by thehype16

Its good to know that Hydrogen and Oxygen also bind to each other off word. Good news indeed.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Bunch

Why this is not MAJOR news on all MMM outlets in crazy. It should be the ONLY thing we talk about for a few weeks at least. Truly amazing. Where there is water there is life. Even mold maybe.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by TXMACHINEGUNDLR

It has absolutely surprise me that this has not been bigger news...NOT EVEN FOR ATS STANDARDS!!! and I think it comes out of open minds thinking... now that I come to think about it this could very well be a step towards preparing us for disclosure... just preparing us but still a step... tomorrow they could announce that bacterial life was found is Mars and people would just go about their bussiness as if they already knew that somthing was up.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 10:42 PM
link   
In my opinion... Disclosure? Really?

Nah. I knew that there was water on Mars (in one form or another) long ago. They are merely trying to placate the masses that want to see SOME progress for their hard-working dollar.

They throw this bone, but won't be finding life - or pyramids. It's more to publicly pat themselves on the back.

But they are there, as several have stated, underground. And there are signs of great battle on the surface, I would wager, based on The Terra Papers.

So don't get excited here. It's more "evidence" that we are still primative in our exploration abilities and to not expect much for all we are spending.

Yet I believe we have military there, along with aliens.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by space cadet
reply to post by Bunch

Yeah it was on this show we were watching just last night. The guy showed exactly how the phoenix has determined this by going into the desert and analyzing soil right there on the spot, and he did some soil from the desert, but he was saying that Phoenix has done this exact test and the result was that the soil on Mars can sustain plant life, it has everything a plant needs to survive, thrive and feed.

I'm sorry to burst everyone's bubble but this guy doesn't take any account for the fact that mars doesn't have any global geomagnetic field comparable to Earth's Van Allen belt. Combined with a thin atmosphere that Mars has, this allows a significant amount of ionizing radiation (x-rays, muons, protons, alpha particles, pions, electrons, and neutrons) from solar and cosmic radiation to reach the Martian surface.

The energy of this radiation can far exceed that which humans can create even in the largest particle accelerators.

Though plants are better adapted to cope with naturally occurring ionizing radiation like here on Earth, I wouldn't be making claims that plant life could THRIVE, like the guy said, more like surviving a slow death and since these radiation aren't constant and can vary greatly to very dangerous levels depending on solar cycles and cosmic radiation.

So, no. A plant wouldn't thrive on Martian soil with it being bomnarded by this kind of radiation. It would wither and die. To think it would "survive" and "thrive" and "feed" is just wishful thinking. Let alone planting food crops for human consumption.

[edit on 1-8-2008 by AntisepticSkeptic]

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by ufo reality

You would know it if it was happening in 1 of 2 ways.

1. We are the same, just offspring or hybrids, and they stay hidden from us on purpose, their experiment.

2. No hide and seek. Confront and Conquer. They are here for the world we inhabit, and us.

[edit on 8/2/2008 by Brainiac]

[edit on 8/2/2008 by Brainiac]

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Oh and to the last poster Skeptic. Yeah I agree. Mars is too corrosive an environment for life to exist as we understand it.

Pretty much I believe that life and variations we see on earth are similar throughout the Universe. Since Earth as an example has life and all the other examples->Planets contain no life we have to make the educated conclusion that life "likes" a planet in the same distance from the Sun as our planet, and composed of the same elements and atmospheric properties as Earth.

Life is conditional as far as we know, and from the looks of it, "our entire Solar System" I think that is a justified conclusion...

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 02:57 AM
link   
I'm missing the part in the sentence: "Its a smal step for technology, but a giant step for mankind!"'.

I'm afread that the step from water to the 9 feet alien in the loading bay of the Discovery 9 feet Alien is still a to giant leap. My hunch is the will find life in 2013 (just to keep from 2012
) first manned missions will probably take place after 2020 (a space oddysee). As someone stated, I guess I won't live to the age to experience full disclosure (bummer).

Any way it puts the pictures on www.marsanomalyresearch.com... in a new persepective, doesn't it?

I'm with you Guys and Girls! NASA: Let us see the next spectecular discovery we all here at ATS already know!

[edit on 2/8/2008 by saturnus1962]

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 03:55 AM
link   
I like the discussions on this site. I personally think this is really cool and important history is being made (although I do think the higher powers in this world know much more that isn't revealed to us!). Maybe when an actual human mission is made to Mars, they will find buried ancient technologies that will open up mysteries to the universe! Or maybe it's just some water on Mars

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 04:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Bunch

well I saw this on the BBC news last night so there was water on mars at one point and there is that odd pic of what has been dubbed the man of mars so yes this is very intresting but have you herd this ? Bush wants to build a base on the moon and use that as a stop over for a maned mission to mars

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join