It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Protest Songs and the War For Truth

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 02:44 PM
link   
For those that may not be aware, I grew up in the '60s, (the 1960s for you smart alecks.) I well remember the days of protest. Songs were our way to get the message out, and a pretty good way, at that.

I figured that was long past, but it's not. It's still ongoing, though maybe not as strong as it was in "the day". Song is a way for us to share our dissatisfaction with the status quo.

So here I'll put up a few from an unlikely source. I want you to listen to the message, even if it's not the genre of music you usually care for. Because we're all in this together. We need to realize that what unites us is stronger than what seperates us.

Now some of this music is a little old, but the message is still there:

and

and

Now maybe most of you wouldn't have thought that such sentiments were being expressed by people who have a certain standing in the heartland. But the "man" doesn't have the full support of people even here.

So speak to me ATS; is protest still alive and well in songs? We changed the course of Vietnam with songs of protest: and Kent State and a many other sacrifices. But song was what united us, gave us courage. Is it still there?

Post your protest songs, along with a commentary on how you feel, and lets guage how well the "man's" plan is working. Are there "new" protest songs? Let's hear about them, and who is doing the protesting.

This is deconstruction, tearing down the ways of the past, the status quo.. This is disinformation, at least according to MSM. So post your protest, and let the deconstructing of the false dream, the nightmare, be shown for what it really is.

Is there another side to the coin, or is protest really dead in America? Here's your chance to show that there really is an underground movement in America, and the world. Put this up with flags, and let the world, who really does watch ATS, even if they won't admit it, know that many of us are unhappy, and want a better world.

(Now I'm posting as a member, not a moderator, so if my fellow mods feel this needs to be moved, then I will understand. And I trust that no matter where it goes, those who want to show protest will follow.)

What's your favorite protest song?

Edit, because I have trouble getting You Tube to cooperate.

[edit on 23-7-2008 by NGC2736]

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 03:31 PM
link   
And just as a side note, I'll throw in a song that desribes me; a Pilgrim:

Because protest is also about knowing, and admitting, who you are, who you were, and who you hope to be. For a person, or a nation.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Besides good ol' Kris Kristoferson, Willie Nelson, Woodie Guthrie, Patty Smith, Pete Seeger, Donovan plus a sh%#load musical rebelrousers at Woodstock in 1969. A movie I see at least once a year, and it kinda making me sad, for not having been there, and any times I think to myself, that I was born too late, because I would have loved being a part of the biggest and most loving concerts ever created, and haven't been experiened ever since. Anyway, we did have own revolution, and there's no dope I haven't tried. What can I say, the flower power movement, was running a few years late in europe.

However, In my book only one name sticks out. A true protest singer, who's been there all along, ever since Newports Folk Music festival.

The dude's name you ask.? Whom else but BOB DYLAN

Peace out..

[edit on 04-23-2008 by Topspike]

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Topspike

Funny thing is I think we need Bob Dylan now more than ever!

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

Indeed, times are a changin'. The real question is, are they changing without a protest by the people today? Have we lost the will to protest?

Song has always been one of the first vehicles for protest. Where has it gone now? Is it still relevant in this day and age, or does everyone have the picks by MSM on their MP3 Player?

In the '60s, anti-war songs got airtime on radio by popular demand. Because it was what everyone was listening to, and wanting to hear. But today I find a deafenng silence, a controled silence. A scary silence.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Here is something contemporary to add to the list, the lyrics are pretty smart.
The video has quite an impact as well.

More of a warning, than a protest. Take a look at:

Flobots

I wanted to add, that I think there is some great protest music being created today. There is just so much crap to wade through. And besides, if the leaders of today are invested in any way, shape or form, in today's media, the thoughtful music will take a back seat to top 40 brain candy..

[edit on 23-7-2008 by spacedoubt]

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by spacedoubt

And for that reason, we the people of ATS, need to do our best to showcase this type of protest music. If TPTB don't approve of it, then it must be a good idea to spread the word. That's why I started this thread.

Let the people be heard!!

If we, as a comunity can make this hit the mainstream, then we have done a sevice to our generation, IMO.

Edit to add: Yours is a thought provoking video. This is what our children learn to become, unless we teach them something else.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Now I'm NOT trying to bring politics into this, though they have aways been part and parcel of the protest movement. But here is a pro Obama clip:

But leaving asside the political angle of this clip, here is the type of protest songs/ideas that directly lead to the end of the war in Southeast Asia.

Isn't it time we had more?

Here'sone to consider:

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   
At the risk of some saying I'm beating a dead horse, or perhaps that I'm replying where none have posted, I'll speak in my defense. many have viewed, though few have touched the button to flag. (I see the latter as an unwillingness to commit soul to the fire, but be that as it may.)

If you think the feeling of futility of war is new, or just an American "vice", I lay before you this, from Oz:

A haunting tale, if ever there was one. And a protest against war in general.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 06:36 PM
link   
A few of the protest song's I like from every genre and every time.

Warning some of these songs do have swear words in them.

Neil Young w/ Pearl Jam-Rockin' in the free world.
More of a social commentary song but it is protesting the state of the world we live in and is still as relevant today as when he first released it.

System of a Down-War.
Song title speaks for it's self.

Rage against the Machine-Know Your Enemy.
"Now I got no patience, So sick of complaisance now."

Pink- Dear Mr. President.
"What kind of father would hate his own daughter if she was Gay?"

Concrete Blonde-Tomorrow Wendy.
The song that my signature is taken from.

Bob Marley-War
I don't think I need to even add a comment on this song

Buffalo Springfield- For What it's Worth.
A fan video for the song with pictures from Kent State.

Country Joe McDonald-I Feel Like. Woodstock '69.
"1-2-3 what are we fighting for?"

Thats a start.

[edit on 23-7-2008 by GAOTU789]

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 07:42 PM
link   
This hit me HARD!!!!

I was looking at some of the protest songs out there and ran across this..

It is a MUCH WATCH

WARNING GRAPHIC IMAGES

No matter your politics, this needs watching...

Semper

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Nice post, it's sad ..

One that got me though too was a video of Saddam and his officers killing another officer (who was demoted to death for political dissadence). I believe the clip was on "Faces of Death" - don't remember which version.

Anyway, they had two Jeeps. The officer was in the middle and each arm was tied to the back of the other Jeep on either side. The two Jeeps then drove in either direction stretching the man beyond limits.

Iraq is better-off without Saddam. There were also incidents where Saddam had women raped in a family where the man was convicted etc.

Crazy stuff ..

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by NGC2736
reply to post by FredT

Indeed, times are a changin'. The real question is, are they changing without a protest by the people today? Have we lost the will to protest?

I think you do see some of that protest spirit in Groups like Greenday et al. Is it the same as Dylan and company?........ No but the message is still there.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 01:25 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...

KMFDM from awhile back, and it still fits now.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   
My wife and I were discussing this very something last night. My question was where are all of the protest songs??? There are virtually none, Compared to the sixties and seventies. We are now all in the ME age and the media keeps us feeding us what they want. I firmly believe that with the power and control that the MSM has, they are the reason for the lack of protest songs. Seeing as how all entertainment media is owned wholly or in part by a few corporations, it stands to reason they would rule the music biz with an iron fist. They certainly do with News. I feel the citizens in this day and age are ME centered and have become complacent. AS long as our brains are bombarded by images and sounds we like, we stay asleep. We are a giant grade schooler with a bad case of ADD and can't focus on the real issues at hand. As a society that can happen but it is up to our citizens who have the ability to stand up for what is right in our country to do so. This falls on our Entertainment people (Actors, musicians, etc..) to act and we have been let down by them as well. They have the resources and the voices to be heard by many. The fact that they do not, IMO is a BAD sign for the future of this country. Without the entertainers and such shouting from the proverbial rooftops, our citizenry become ever more ignorant. Which is why, in part, this country is in the state it’s in. The Citizens of this Great idea of a nation are lost and are looking for that beacon of hope to guide them back to the free world. And since entertainment (Music more specifically) touches us all in more ways then we realize, It is up to them to be that beacon. The people are numb and need to be reawakened!! Sorry for the thought regurgitation.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I am not quite old enough for some of those mentioned..came just after that..Let us not forget Neil Young's "Ohio". "Rockin in the Free WOrld"..
Shoot I think I used the "Kinder, Gentler Machine gun hand " the other day.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 04:13 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...

I've tried posting this as a YouTube link several times and it didn't link properly. If an mod can help me out by editing it it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

[edit on 24-7-2008 by UFOpsychiczebra]

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Public Enemy-Revolution
A protest song of a different nature.

Immortal Technique- The Poverty of Philosophy
This guy is amazing. Might be a tad to leftist in it's message for some though.
"I would rather be who I am than desperate to be someone I'm not"

Mos Def-Tell the Truth.
"They funded Al Queda than blame the Muslim Religion"

Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy-Television, Drug of the Nation
A protest song against the idiot box that is raising our children.
"TV, the reason why less than 10% of us read books daily and that Central America means Kansas."

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Stalin is chuckling in his grave, useful idiots of yesterday for Stalin, and useful idiots for todays Iran, and Russia's new fascist state.......did that generation learn one thing?

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Here in Dallas, all of those great old anti war/protest songs disappeared off of the radio after 911. We’re just now starting to hear them again on classic rock radio stations. Here’s an interesting article on the 60’s music scene in LA that I highly recommend. It’s long, but fascinating. It’s called Inside the Laurel Canyon.

www.illuminati-news.com...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join