It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why not believe in God?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I noticed that a lot of members on this site stand firm in the belief that God is not real and religion is some kind of a controlling instrument. Then I was thinking, as a Christian, if I'm completely wrong and all those people are correct, then I'm in no trouble. Simply nothing will happen. But if I'm right, and these people are wrong, then they are in a world of trouble. So I'm wondering why people choose to deny God when there's really no incentive.

Like I said, I'm a Christian, but not one of those hardcore ones that goes to church every Sunday and reads the Bible in my spare time. I haven't been to church in years and the only book of the Bible I've read is Revelations. I don't personally find churches to be that important. I believe more in personal faith and prayer. So when it comes to Christianity being some kind of controlling instrument over people, I have to disagree. I think that if anything is controlling, it's simply the churches, not the religion itself.

But anyways, back to why I started this thread. I would love to hear people explain there reasoning for not believing in God/the Bible/ etc. Then I would like you to check back and see my response to what you put. I'd like the opportunity to convince you otherwise or at least address some of the things you bring up. I urge other believers to help out in sharing information and answering questions that are brought up. I'm not saying I will have an answer to everyone's questions and attacks on Christianity, but I will really try hard because as Christian I feel a responsibility to spread the word. This is more of a friendly Q and A, debate type deal. Although I'm not a hardcore Christian as I said earlier, I do know a lot about the Bible and Christianity and I have people around me and resources that drastically expand my pool of knowledge on the topic. So ask away.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I watched the sun rise. Does this mean I have a belief that the sun rose this morning? I believe I know that the sun rose is a fact! Same Goes for God and I. I don't need to believe in God because I know God is real.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 06:33 PM
link   
There's the rich and then those who live in poverty. Then the most inportant reason is, there's those with huge homes and then there's those that are losing their homes. I seem to being falling in that last category. Doesn't seem like a God exists.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheHunted
There's the rich and then those who live in poverty. Then the most inportant reason is, there's those with huge homes and then there's those that are losing their homes. I seem to being falling in that last category. Doesn't seem like a God exists.

The fact that some people are more well-off than others is the result of free will which God gave all men. Everyone has the power to control those types of things in their lives—a freedom God felt we should have. People in all walks of lives face problems and have struggles that will test their mental toughness as well as their faith in God. This is one of those struggles for you. Don't blame God for this, and don't blame God for not fixing this problem for you. You need to fix it yourself and endure what this life throws at you until you can pass over to the next life. This next life, as you probaby already know, is decided by how you respond to the life you live now (whether you maintain your faith through all the hard times, whether you search out the truth amongst the lies, whether you truly want to be with God or not). Life is a test of your faith, so I wish you luck and hope you pass the test in the end.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by IAPremed

for everyone person i see that doesnt believe in god, theres one that does,at least they believe in their idea of god. which is why i dont go to church now.

i used to go to church and actually had some strange life changing experiences at church, it just doesnt seem to be the right way to go in this day and age.

im happy that we share approximately the same thoughts, nice to find someone else that believes the same way....

and to add, i have been healed by god, most people that believe in god have heard or seen, or even been healed by god. so anyone that says there is no god, or the bible is full of fairy tales has obviously never tried a personal relationship with god.

i agree the best way in these times is to have an active prayer life.

peace

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   
So God allows others to suffer from others FREE WILL? Such as the governments FREE WILL to allow the Federal Reserve to control our banking or raise interest rates. My FREE WILL doesn't contend with the FREE WILL of those in positions well above me. See its not about FREE WILL, its about those the power.... The only thing I have that is FREE is my TIME...

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by TheHunted

thanks for adding nothing to this, try doing a simple search via google and you will quickly come to answer of your own question, wait but that would be outrageous wouldnt it.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I think I've said it more than once on this site, maybe even made a podcast...

"No one will be trembling more than an atheist at the pearly gates."

I believe dearly in the one who created all things, I just don't believe for an instant the dogma of religion. God created man, man created religion.

I'm a Spiritual Anarchist. I believe you must over throw religion if you ever want to seriously have a relationship with the divine. The creator of all things does not need a middle man to touch your heart or guide your life. Never has, never will. Jesus was no more divine than the reverend Moon.

That said, I respect the right of each soul to walk it's own path. I won't knock on your door on Saturday morning and try to convert you to Spiritual Anarchy.

Your path is your own, as is mine. I wish nothing more for you than love and happiness in the path you walk.

This is all I wish for everyones path.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by IAPremed
Then I was thinking, as a Christian, if I'm completely wrong and all those people are correct, then I'm in no trouble.

this "logic" has never set well with me. the reason being is that what if the muslims are right and you were wrong. then, wouldn't you be in trouble? or what if the buddhists were right?

i look at all the spiritual teachings as just that. i would never die for a belief in something on the outside of me such as the bible, a human, etc. i would die though for that which is written on my heart.. love, kindness, etc. i take the message of jesus seriously.. i don't place my faith on a man name jesus though bc the way i see it, doesn't that counteract the first commandment in the bible? i place my faith in the message though and for that, not the name jesus, i would give my life to protect. but that message can be found in most every religion bc it is the same message written on my heart.

see, if you are wrong putting your faith on a man or a book, then yes, you could be in trouble. but you can't be wrong when following what you know is right in your heart, no matter what belief you worship (and yes, most worship their beliefs rather than the Creator).

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I was raised a Catholic and have read The Bible twice (Once in Egypt, Once in Iraq). So I have not only researched but also lived it. I had all my faith in a God, others FREE WILL blew that. I do not knock those who believe in a GOD(s).

A thread was created asking a question so I posted, which I thought that was what ATS was about. Search google? Is that what they use for a Bible now? Finally got rid of King James I see...

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheHunted
So God allows others to suffer from others FREE WILL? Such as the governments FREE WILL to allow the Federal Reserve to control our banking or raise interest rates. My FREE WILL doesn't contend with the FREE WILL of those in positions well above me. See its not about FREE WILL, its about those the power.... The only thing I have that is FREE is my TIME...

To answer your question, yes, God does allow others to suffer from others free will. It's part of the evil of this life. And you must endure it for it is a test. But don't think for one moment that those people making you suffer will get off scott free. They are also being tested, and they are obviously using their free will for bad purposes, and they are not passing the test. They will be judged, as will you and everyone else.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   

perhaps you should start a thread about what youre talking about. i made the comment i made thinking.....hmmmm, this sounds like a anti god rant. how does other peoples free will seperate you from god? im curious.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Now I'm confused...God is now evil? Search "George Carlin On Religion" on Youtube, that sums it all up.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   

this is why i didnt answer your question posed earlier, youtube and goerge carlin? cmon now man. seriously i am curious, i am not laughing at you, i want to know how other peoples free will seperates you from god?

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by justamomma
[this "logic" has never set well with me. the reason being is that what if the muslims are right and you were wrong. then, wouldn't you be in trouble? or what if the buddhists were right?

Very true. I suppose I should have broadened what I said. I belive that those who deny the existence of a God (atheists) are in trouble. As long as you have a religion, and somewhere you put your faith into, whether it be Christianity, Islam, Judaism, or whatever your good to go in my book. I'm not saying all these people are right by any means. Only one group can probably be right (although I can't know this), but I'm saying at least you believe something. No one can say what religion is the correct one, because we'd all be saying it's our own. We won't find out until the end of days. But I just think we all might as well take one side because there's absolutely no reason to seclude yourself from all religions. With that belief there is no hope and nothing to look forward to, and if one of those religions is correct, you most definitely will not end up in a good place.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Being sent to Iraq and watching real peoples blood being shed because of one's FREE WILL is a little disturbing. Where were all God's Angels then, up there playing online poker?

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by IAPremed Simply nothing will happen. But if I'm right, and these people are wrong, then they are in a world of trouble. So I'm wondering why people choose to deny God when there's really no incentive.

Isn't the modern christian interpertion of hell internal seperation from god?
Not all that fire and flames stuff they used to promote.

So wouldnt they end up with the same fate that they thought they were going to get anyway.

Im not a christian so I wouldnt know.

But I do belive in a higher power, and think there might be something after death but Im not sure.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   

im sorry, i know many people over there, now im starting to understand.

but to be fair, wasnt it your free will to join, and to go there, not trying to turn the topic around here, but god gave us freewill so we may use our freewill as we see fit, some people dont do the right thing, as you have seen, but god and his angels are not emergency dispatch everytime WE are sent to war. correct? whos in control of the afterlife, god is. so all those people that were wronged because of someone elses freewill, just know they are in gods realm now. and those people that use their freewill to do these kinds of things are in big trouble.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I was out of the Army and they called me back to go over there. How about the ones who will forever live deformed. Why does free will matter if it can be trumped by another's free will. Is it logical to put your faith into a book says so? Why not just yell from clouds I am God and I exist?

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by IAPremed
I belive that those who deny the existence of a God (atheists) are in trouble.

but i see a flaw in this. even the bible speaks of other gods and so which god must one believe in order to be okay? or must one believe in all?

see, there are many atheists who worship their Creator bc they abide by the rules placed on every human being's heart by the Creator. there are christians who say they are not in trouble bc they put their faith on a human named jesus, yet they hardly worship the Creator through their actions.

you cannot put the Creator into a box by defining him through something outside yourself. the Creator is found w/in yourself and all those who are true to the rules of conduct written on their heart are worshipping their Creator, whether they believe in your god or another god.

you know the Creator through knowing your true self. an atheist can "get it" more than a religious person for sure.

btw.......... how do you feel that you have the authority to say that an atheist is in trouble, but you or others are not? that is defining the Creator and you can not do that as a human since we have no real comprehension of him other than how he reveals himself to us personally as individuals. *said very nicely, not snippily*

[edit on 20-7-2008 by justamomma]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join