It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7.0 quake hits east coast of Japan. Tsunami warning issued

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 10:28 PM
link   

7.0 quake hits east coast of Japan. Tsunami warning issued

www.msnbc.msn.com

TOKYO - Japan's Meteorological Agency issued a tsunami warning in northeast Japan on Saturday after an earthquake measuring 7.0 in magnitude struck off the east coast of Honshu.

There were no initial reports of damage from the quake.

Japan's Meteorological Agency said the tsunami warning was for around 50 cm.

The epicenter of the quake was off the coast of Fukushima prefecture, the same area as a June 14 quake which killed at least 10 and left as many again missing.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I hope there's not a tsunami.

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Gosh me too. There was a 5.3 aftershock about 15 minutes after the 7.0 according to the USGS map. Taking a look the coordinates it's about 60 miles offshore and the coastline looks heavily populated. Tsunami is unlikely I hope I hope I hope. Last large earthquake in Japan didn't cause that many casualties so hopefully this will be the same case.

*edit* Looking closer most of the coastline is farm land with fair sized communities surrounding them. Not skyscrapers and a Starbucks on every corner populated.
**edit** The earthquake was 61 miles from a nuclear power plant on the coastline. Maybe we should cross our fingers? I don't know.

[edit on 18-7-2008 by beaverg]

[edit on 18-7-2008 by beaverg]

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Near a Nuke power plant!

I hope and pray that nothing happens to the good people of Japan.

Here is another link I was reading on Bloomberg a few minutes ago.

www.bloomberg.com...

Peace

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 11:45 PM
link   
How long would it take for a tsunami to reach the coast???

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by The Revealer

Wasn't there a post on here earlier today about an earthquake prediction for today in the Phillipines? Can't seem to find it now...

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Does anyone remeber this prediction from about a month ago
readingshouts.wordpress.com...
That would have to be a "ding ding"

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by kaffemoka

here's the thread about the predicted Philippine quake. I guess the quake missed and hit somewhere else instead?

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 01:38 AM
link   
I live on the south east coast of Japan and my my my what a way to wake up! - I have been up late and so sleep in til about midday lately but this certainly got me out of bed. Haven't felt one like this in my time here, scary stuff

How long after the quake will the Tsunami warning issued last ?

These under sea quakes are becoming common around here, I wonder what it means ?

edit to add - taken from the bloomberg source noted above

The agency removed the (tsunami) warning at 1:20 p.m. local time.

whew !

[edit on 19-7-2008 by ImJaded]

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by kaffemoka
reply to post by The Revealer

Wasn't there a post on here earlier today about an earthquake prediction for today in the Phillipines? Can't seem to find it now...

I was just thinking the same, there is definitely a prediction about a huge earthquake somewhere..... But, wasn't it some *something or other* Nostradomus(sp?) or something? Didn't expect a quake to actually happen, or I woulda paid more attention.. LOL

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by toreishi

Thanks for posting the thread.

That is exactly the one I was thinking of.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Japan sits atop four tectonic plates and is one of the world's most earthquake-prone countries.
I hope they build strong.

hey foremanator,
is that you in your avatar? what movie is it from?
its really funny.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by foremanator

No kidding

Future predictions:

2008, July: There will be an earthquake in Japan , which will cause a tsunami of 30 plus metres high to occur as well.

Was posted on said page on May 29, 2008 at 7:20 pm... Like a blog, does it auto-insert post date??

Maybe this dude really does see future things..

EDIT: Thinking about it some more. Where are this dude's past predictions that have supposedly come true?

[edit on 19-7-2008 by LostNemesis]

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 03:28 AM
link   
reply to post by ImJaded

That woke you up?

Good lord, it was 11.30 in the morning...

(jealousy there - I'd been in a meeting for nearly two hours by then)

It's nothing to get too worked up about. Offshore quakes are (thankfully) more common than onshore ones. If that had been on land, there would have been a bit of damage. It's Japan. There will be quakes. Accept it, store your breakables on the bottom shelf, and get on with life.

You might want to keep one of the newsblogs bookmarked though (japantoday tends to be pretty current in its newsfeeds) for tsunami warnings. If you've got a recent keitai you can usually subscribe for bulletins to be automatically e-mailed to you. check your provider)

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 03:39 AM
link   
For all of you on this thread who are wondering who predicted the earthquake in the Philippines it was Brazilian "Nostradamus" Jucelino Nobrega da Luz. As far as I know he predicted it on coast to coast am a few nights ago. I was listening to the show and heard it thinking, yeah right, another prediction, wont come true. But, he was close with his prediction!

I think this is his site and you should be able to find past predictions. Supposedly he predicted 9/11, death of princess Diana, Indonesia tsunami, and the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

www.jucelinodaluz.com...

[edit on 19-7-2008 by bakednutz]

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 04:18 AM
link   
reply to post by bakednutz

A 7.0 east of Japan is far from a 8.1 at the Philippines...

btw, I posted it in the main 2008 quake thread. It was first reported as a 7.2 and then downgraded to a 7.0

Click here to see the most recent updated map...

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 04:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Hellmutt

Well he was about 1800 miles off and, so it was not a 8.1 but it is not like what he predicted happened on the other side of the world. He saw an earthquake coming and was off a little. It is better than the ususal predict, and then nothing.

Also, FoxNews is reporting at only 6.6.

[edit on 19-7-2008 by bakednutz]

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by bakednutz

FoxNews is reporting at only 6.6.

USGS still say 7.0, they haven't downgraded it any more. Where does Fox get their information from? Japan? They might use a different scale.

Magnitude 7.0 - OFF THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
2008 July 19 02:39:30 UTC

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 04:53 AM
link   
Oy...

a big one just hit Santa Cruz... look at the map. The Philippines might be next...

[edit on 2008/7/19 by Hellmutt]

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 05:17 AM
link   
reply to post by foremanator

That's weird. Ok, so that's one for one.

I hope he gets the rest wrong. Especially this one:

* 2016, April: A huge typhoon will invade China , causing massive damage. The 43rd USA president, George Walker Bush, will enter the hospital, and faces a life or death situation.

Ack, there's another Bush?!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join