It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Parents of blinded girl lose Motrin suit

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Parents of blinded girl lose Motrin suit

www.msnbc.msn.com

MALIBU, Calif. - A jury refused to award damages Thursday to a couple who sued drug maker Johnson & Johnson for $1 billion, claiming its Children’s Motrin nearly killed their daughter and left her legally blind.

The Los Angeles County Superior Court jury voted 9-3 that the company and McNeil Consumer & Specialty Pharmaceuticals, a division of the drug maker’s McNeil PPC Inc. subsidiary, were not liable for the problems of 11-year-old Sabrina Johnson.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I would like to know more of the dangerous ingredients that they do not give warnings for.

I feel so bad for the girl

Let us not forget the below

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I feel bad for the girl that lost her eye sight. However, I don't think that this was an intentional act on the part of big business.

Even if there had been more warnings on the label of the ibuprofen, most people would have given their child something to help.

The warning labels on things have already become so ridiculous that no one reads them anymore.

Look at the labels on over the counter preparations. Do they stop you from using those drugs?

Also, in this day and age people somehow expect that when something bad happens that they should win the lottery. I strongly disagree with this type of thinking.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   
it's not about winning the lottery

it's about keeping companies accountable

in a day and age where corporations and govt. have Zero accountability what else do you expect?

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
it's not about winning the lottery

Your right, the parents asked for over 1 BILLION dollars in damages, that's not excessive is it? It's more like winning hundreds of lotteries.

It was a 1 in a million reaction to the Motrin. It was made worse by the mother not reading the label properly when a new symptom (puffy eyes) happened after taking the Motrin and more was given. All medicines have some degree of risk.

I feel bad for the girl and family, but not everything is something you can blame somebody else for. Motrin has been proven to be safe to the vast majority of the population.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

This has nothing to do with keeping companies accountable. It's about getting money. I could almost understand a lawsuit to pay for all medical expenses, but $1b? I think not.

People rely too much on the pharmaceutical industry to keep them safe at all times. No one takes responsibility for getting unbelievably fat, or being promiscuous, or just not taking care of themselves in general. It's, of course, big pharma's fault for not making a medication that can combat being fat, or STDs, or whatever else. And when big pharma comes out with an excellent product, like ephedrine (which is still used in over the counter medication not related to fat-loss), people abuse it and die. Then it's big pharma's fault for developing the product to begin with. Next thing you know, we'll be having to get rid of aspirin because of the effect it has on the stomach.

Sorry, soapbox. This subject is a bit irritating to me.

Anyway, I'm not saying that the parents of this little girl were feeding her ibuprofen like candy, but by ingesting any medication you are taking a risk. This little girl's reaction was one in a million, not to mention the parents did not follow the warning label on the back of the bottle that stated to call the doctor if any new symptoms arose.

I'm sick and tired of hearing about all of the lawsuits in the US. We're constantly bombarded by morons who spill hot coffee on themselves and sue McDonalds, or people who OD on medication and sue the producer, or people who hurt themselves while robbing a house then sue the owner of the house. It finally gets to a point where enough is enough. Everyone should know that if you consume any type of medication there is always a possibility of a negative reaction.

I feel bad for this little girl, but her parents are the ones to blame, not Johnson & Johnson.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   
This is one of those cases where i'm torn. I feel bad for the little girl and her family. But i'm not sure the pharmecutical company should be held totally responsible & have to pay out an enormous fee.

The company seems to have some fault if they did not give a complete disclosure of the dangers of the drug. However the mother would seem to hold some responsibility also by continuing to administer the drug after the swelling occured in her child. Any warning label that i've read for any drugs always list swelling as a symptom of an allergic reaction to the drug, especially swelling of the face. The labels also state that if any additional symptoms appear that you should stop the drug and seek medical assistance. And being that motrin is an anti-inflamitory one shouldn't expect to see swelling after administering the drug, especially where there was no previous swelling.

I think both the company and the mother each hold a little responsibility for what happened.

top topics

join