It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Time will you be?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I'm not one to start many threads because there are so many good ideas floating around ATS that I spend most of my time replying to things. However, I have always had an interest in Time Travel, and would like to put a different spin on it.

I feel certain connections to periods of time, whether that be because of past life experiences or from just the attitude of the world, but I have a question.

Hypothetically if you could travel to any point in time, which era of history/future would you choose?

I ask this because of an interesting thought that came into my head last night before I went to sleep after reading some other ATS posts. There are alot of discussions on time travel and whether it is or isn't possible, but the question remains, would you? What dire reason would you have to travel to some other time? I know about the whole paradox issue, and most people would say "winning lottery numbers", but seriously, if you could choose a time period in history/future, would you really go?

Personally, I like the 50's. I am only 28, but the era is fascinating to me because of it's hypocritical nature. There was abundant racism on a public social scale, yet you could walk down the middle of the street and wave to anyone you didn't know and they would probably invite you over for tea or something. The state of the world has changed so much that it makes one wonder what positive changes could be made rather than self-indulging fantasies. The adoption of many technological nuances today keep us dependant on what we can fit in our pocket, and with so much hate amongst everyone, how can we logically not wish to be somewhere else?

I don't mind discussion on the how's and why's of time travel if you choose to put your two cents in on that as well, I love discussion on the topic, but I am curious to see if there is a genuine connection between the current social attitude and the need for acceptance somewhere else.

King.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I find it kind of hard to believe that no one thus far feels the same way I do. I see people reading, but I have no comments? I wonder if traveling to such time periods would even be worth it in the long run or are we just running from our own problems? On one hand we create the problems that we are faced with, and on the other hand, we dont' do much to solve them either. If people en mass could travel to other time periods, would it cease being a getaway or repreival and start becoming a tourist attraction?

These are all questions stirring in my brain from these thoughts today and last night, I would really like some insight into what other people think.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Believe it or not the 70's why you ask? That's when I was a teen and if its possible to come in contact with myself I would make sure that some bad choices I made then that effects me now won't happen.And of course I would tell myself there is this guy named Bill Gates that could make you rich so either try to contact him or buy as much stock in this company called Microsoft that will go public in a few years

[edit on 16-7-2008 by Tricky63]

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 11:25 PM
link   
If I could go back I would do either the Tang dynasty in china or 5-7000 years before any written records. However I don't think time travel is possible anyway(if it is then everything is predetermined and not random). So where are all the people who would visit themselves? You know ahead of time that time travel was possible because your future self would be telling you while still in the past. I can see crossing from one universe to another similar one, but the time would be the same, just different courses were taken in the diff universes. Our concept(or belief) of time may also be wrong, further holding us back.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 11:30 PM
link   
I wanna meet the guys who designed the great pyramids and see exactly what it was for and how they did it. Then do the same with the mayas, Aztecs, Easter Island ETC hit all the ancient hotspots.

Then I would stop and see myself when I was a teen & Staci Broke my heart and show myself a picture of how fat she was at our 10 year reunion that way I would not feel so bad when I was younger
ROFL

[edit on 16-7-2008 by SLAYER69]

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 11:33 PM
link   
I knew the money issue would come up quickly.

Aside from whether the possibility and paradoxes are of time travel, it's the fundimental idea of the time you are traveling to.

I find it interesting that you would chose a time within your own lifetime Tricky. Is this because you have fond memories of your childhood, or just because you love the music? I wasn't born until the tail end of the seventies right when music was going into the crapper and the hair was going to spiral out of control, but living in the seventies would seem like hell to me. Then again, there was a huge movement of peace across the nation, and one of the biggest spiritual movements was Woodstock.

Since when have you seen such a movement in our lifetime that rivals that of the "hippies"? I'm not a fan of classic rock per-say, but it definetly interests me as to your resoning for going there. Care to explain? Is your descision purely based on past regrets or current affairs?

My time would be due to the state of the world.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by LordBaskettIV
If I could go back I would do either the Tang dynasty in china or 5-7000 years before any written records.

This is interesting, I didn't even explore the possibility of inter-continental travel.

Seriously though, I love asian culture because of it's long-standing traditions. I have never outside the US aside from the occasional trip to Canada, but I would love to visit. I would find it fascinating to discuss with them their beliefs and how their "gods" were the ultimate answer to everything. I am not versed on chinese culture so I cannot assume to know anything about the differences in dynasties, my farthest reach into their minds are how many of them make products for Wal*mart. Ech.

SLAYER69
I wanna meet the guys who designed the great pyramids and see exactly what is was for and how they did it. Then do the same with the mayas, Aztecs, Easter Island ETC hit all the ancient hotspots.

That would rock. The great pyramid would definetly be on my list. One of the biggest mysteries on the planet could be put to rest. Was it us as humans that built this monumental feat, or something altogether alien in nature guiding our hands? Good one.

However, what would you do about the communication barrier and not getting killed for being a foreigner or put to work as a slave to the ruling emperor/king at the time?

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 11:43 PM
link   
I was particularly partial to the 90's. Good music, an economic upswing, cheap gas.... Man, it was just a good time to "be".

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I know everybody says
this date in the 50's 60's 70' etc etc etc

Not me I lived through it once I wanna go big time
Watch them erect Stonehenge, Talk to plato hear the Atlantis story from his mouth, Go and see them building the tower of babel
you know it baby!

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zenagain
I was particularly partial to the 90's. Good music, an economic upswing, cheap gas.... Man, it was just a good time to "be".

I spent my high school days going through the nineties. Everything seemed pretty balanced even though we were still picking fights with Iraq. The music scene was blowing up again. I discovered my "favorite" genre of music in the nineties and it defined who I am today. Now that I think about it, there were alot of peaceful leaps forward in alot of areas of our lives, but then again they were also shrouded in government back-dealings.

SLAYER69
Not me I lived through it once I wanna go big time
Watch them erect Stonehenge, Talk to plato hear the Atlantis story from his mouth, Go and see them building the tower of babel

Nice. I would like to know for absolute if there truly is a connection between stonehenge and the Pyramids.

But I have one even better for you. Monumental to the core, two actually.

1. Visit Plato and see Atlantis. Does it really exsist?
2. The year 0. You know what I mean. See if the bible is really all it's cracked up to be or if we're just being led on by the old controlling roman empire!

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 11:57 PM
link   

1. Visit Plato and see Atlantis. Does it really exsist?
2. The year 0. You know what I mean. See if the bible is really all it's cracked up to be or if we're just being led on by the old controlling roman empire!

OK two better than that.
wait 3 days after death and then see for sure and the second, take this bad boy all the way back and see the big bang for myself
LOL

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 12:04 AM
link   
What would be the implications of those actions if the preceding were really true? Wouldn't JC just kick your butt anyway and tell you to go home? Don't get me wrong, I am not knocking those who believe in it, I am just imagining the possibilities and implications involved with actually traveling in time to meet him.

And see if Atlantis is real or just another figment of our ancestors' imaginations and turmoil of their given time period.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Why would you want to hang out with Plato when you could hang out with his teacher Socrates? All of the most amusing stuff Plato said was actually in his dialogues, so why not go hang out with the man himself.

Even before you posted the Plato thing I already intended to say that this is when I'd go. Imagine actually listening to Socrates tear into poor Euthyphro!

Vas

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vasilis Azoth
Why would you want to hang out with Plato when you could hang out with his teacher Socrates? All of the most amusing stuff Plato said was actually in his dialogues, so why not go hang out with the man himself.

Imagine actually listening to Socrates tear into poor Euthyphro!

I've never heard of Euthyphro, is this because he was never in standard educational text, or just because I was never taught?

Socrates would be a good choice, however the point I would like to ask you then Vasilis is why would you choose there over any other point in time? And what would your reasoning be for traveling there instead of living here? (as if it's any better here now)

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 12:27 AM
link   
"However, what would you do about the communication barrier and not getting killed for being a foreigner or put to work as a slave to the ruling emperor/king at the time?"

I belive most cultures originally invited foreiners in as gods or at least VIP's(until they learn you have no benefit for them)

As far as an example, look at the mayans and spaniards.Ouch.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kingalbrect79
Socrates would be a good choice, however the point I would like to ask you then Vasilis is why would you choose there over any other point in time? And what would your reasoning be for traveling there instead of living here? (as if it's any better here now)

That's a really good question. I'm trying to figure out the answer now. When I replied I assumed just a visit and yes, if I could only visit one time once that would be it. But. This is my time, although I hate almost everything about the world I live in, I think this is where I belong.

I just had another thought that there may be a few places in the future that might "perfect". But I'd have to visit a few before I'd know. So with my current infomation, I'd have to stick with a visit to ancient Greece.

Vas

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 12:30 AM
link   

As far as an example, look at the mayans and spaniards.Ouch.

I would bring my trusty Thompson with me just in case

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Yeah, that was the original lead in on this topic. The idea of traveling in time not for personal gain monitarily, but emotionally, socially, spiritually, etc.

Based on the period you travel to vs. your life today. I'm anticipating your answer.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kingalbrect79
I knew the money issue would come up quickly.

Aside from whether the possibility and paradoxes are of time travel, it's the fundimental idea of the time you are traveling to.

I find it interesting that you would chose a time within your own lifetime Tricky. Is this because you have fond memories of your childhood, or just because you love the music? I wasn't born until the tail end of the seventies right when music was going into the crapper and the hair was going to spiral out of control, but living in the seventies would seem like hell to me. Then again, there was a huge movement of peace across the nation, and one of the biggest spiritual movements was Woodstock.

Since when have you seen such a movement in our lifetime that rivals that of the "hippies"? I'm not a fan of classic rock per-say, but it definetly interests me as to your resoning for going there. Care to explain? Is your descision purely based on past regrets or current affairs?

My time would be due to the state of the world.
Yes my child hood was cool.I would have made better choices when it came to my school work thou.The 70's may seem a little boring now,but back then I loved it.As far as music goes I'm a R&B kinda guy so the music for me was hot.I was too young for the hippie movement I'm talking like 1975-76 my junior high school days (man I'm old).

[edit on 17-7-2008 by Tricky63]

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 02:54 AM
link   
if I could go back then I'd hook up with Nikola Tesla in the mid-1880s and make sure he doesn't get ripped off by his business associates. Then if all goes to plan we'd have been able to have something similar to teh internets by 1940 or so. And oh, I'd try my damned best to bankrupt Mr. Prescott Bush around the late 1920s.

[edit on 7.17.08 by toreishi]

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join