It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Two Gays Only Count as One Parent, Therefore they shouldn't be able to adopt':McCain

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   
D.D. ya beat me to it!!!

Wonderfully interesting article.

And there are people still support this man, more and more, after every injustice he commits.

He's against black people (no MLK day)
He's against asian people (word usage of "gook" which he refuses to retract)

Yeah. Lots vote a man into office who's only qualifications are war

No thanks

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

The good news is that he's already changing his mind.

Source

But now he's backing off that stance with a statement sent to Andrew Sullivan from Jill Hazelbaker, McCain's Director of Communications:
McCain could have been clearer in the interview in stating that his position on gay adoption is that it is a state issue, just as he made it clear in the interview that marriage is a state issue. He was not endorsing any federal legislation.

McCain's expressed his personal preference for children to be raised by a mother and a father wherever possible. However, as an adoptive father himself, McCain believes children deserve loving and caring home environments, and he recognizes that there are many abandoned children who have yet to find homes. McCain believes that in those situations that caring parental figures are better for the child than the alternative.

It won't be long till he's marching in the gay parents' parade.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by LLoyd45
I think the whole idea of gay adoptions is rather selfish. Imagine the ridicule and harrassment the kid would have to deal with at school on a daily basis. Maybe the two parents are mature enough to deal with the rejection and cruel comments, but why subject an innocent child to that kind of abuse? We all know that kids can be extremely cruel to those who are different or not part of the clique.

What about children whose parents dont have a lot of money
Or parents who are a little on the "wierd side"

what about one parent homes
or foster kids

they're all equally ridiculed.

They shouldnt be allowed to adopt either?

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

indeed kids are cruel. and to a point that's natural, every kid has to deal with it. it's what makes us who we are as an adult, how we deal with that cruelty that is. i was made fun of for having a poor single mother, does that mean no one who is poor or single should have a child? how about fat parents? should they be kept from having a child? what about parents with one arm? or parents who are deformed from an accident or war? what about parents who at the age of 40 or older still play video games? if we're going to base who can have children off of how they're children(adopted or otherwise) are going to be treated by the local bully kids, not many kids are going to be born or have homes.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Andrew E. Wiggin

wow lol, while i was posting you posted the same thing basically. arg darn logical thinking!

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I was raised by lesbians and I don't think it was really a good thing, I was left quite confused, and got heavily bullied over it. Of course I got over all that in the end, but really, that part of my childhood is not the good memories.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

isn't that the best political tactic ever?! "i'll just say the exact opposite of something i said that was controversial and claim i'm clarifying my position. nevermind the fact that the two view are almost mutually exclusive."

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by bobafett
I was raised by lesbians and I don't think it was really a good thing, I was left quite confused, and got heavily bullied over it. Of course I got over all that in the end, but really, that part of my childhood is not the good memories.

Which is, truthfully and from a REALIST view, is why we should not allow gay couples to have children. People, especially kids, cannot be reasonable. Cannot be considerate.
These people will not change, atleast not any time soon. Gay couples will rationalize this away, but it will not change the fact that it will always be a hurtful situation for any child. Children cannot understand why they are being bullied and stared at. Adults may be able to happily live their lives with such stigma. Children end up scarred.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
I strongly am against gay adoption. The kid should not have to go through that.

Go through what? Neandrathals in society? It is not the child's nor the gay parents fault that they would get "teased". It is people like McCain who espouse this bigotry.

I actually feel sorry for his adopted child.

BTW, I'm not jumping on you. Maybe we should ask children brought up by gay people before we come to conclusions that it's not worth it?

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Obama gets applauded for saying that blacks should be more responsible which is his opinion. McCain gets slammed for saying gays shouldn't adopt which is his opinion. I didn't hear McCain say that he would legislate the issue. Nor did I hear that Obama would legislate to make black people more responsible. It is their opinion. They both should be admired for standing up for what they believe in knowing that controversy would ensue. I'm sure you could find many blacks who disagree with Obama and many gays who disagree with McCain on their opinions.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Andrew E. Wiggin
What about children whose parents dont have a lot of money
Or parents who are a little on the "wierd side"
If they don't have a lot of money to start with, I think adopting another child would be a rather bad idea. Kids cost a lot of money to raise, and deserve to have a stable home that provides adequate food, shelter, and medical care. Wierd I could deal with, a lot of people are wierd, as in strange.

what about one parent homes
or foster kids they're all equally ridiculed.

They shouldnt be allowed to adopt either?

"Yes", they are frequently ridiculed and tend to be very unhappy children as a result of. So why would you want to subject a child to that type of situation? Shouldn't their happiness and mental well-being be the first priority?

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Griff

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
I strongly am against gay adoption. The kid should not have to go through that.

Go through what? Neandrathals in society? It is not the child's nor the gay parents fault that they would get "teased". It is people like McCain who espouse this bigotry.

I actually feel sorry for his adopted child.

BTW, I'm not jumping on you. Maybe we should ask children brought up by gay people before we come to conclusions that it's not worth it?

Oh, look. There is one of them right here.

So, what conclusions are being jumped to?

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by LLoyd45
I think the whole idea of gay adoptions is rather selfish. Imagine the ridicule and harrassment the kid would have to deal with at school on a daily basis. Maybe the two parents are mature enough to deal with the rejection and cruel comments, but why subject an innocent child to that kind of abuse? We all know that kids can be extremely cruel to those who are different or not part of the clique.

I vote we ban fat people from adopting then. Because they'll make the kids fat.

How about black people adopting a white kid? White people adopting Koreans?

How about unclean parents? I remember the kids making fun of the unclean girl at school.

All different but still get teased for these differences.

Before you go flaming me, First think how would you have felt if you had that type of living arrangement as a child? Remember just how cruel little kids really can be because you're short, fat, don't have nice clothes, etc..

Exactly. So one more ridicule is worth it to make that child suffer not having a home?

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 06:08 PM
link   
A question. What prevents a gay couple from raising a child well that straight people don't have to deal with? Basically, what's the difference?

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Here's a good video I saw recently looking into the topic. One of the biggest reasons for supporting this are the number of kids/teens that never find a permanent home. I couldn't imagine not having help when I turned 18 and went to college.

www.hulu.com...

"I strongly am against gay adoption. The kid should not have to go through that."

That's fine but many kids, like it shows in the video, would do anything to have two loving parents. Older teens have very little hope of finding a home, that would be hard to go through.

[edit on 15-7-2008 by ghaleon12]

link   

Originally posted by forsakenwayfarer

Which is, truthfully and from a REALIST view, is why we should not allow gay couples to have children. People, especially kids, cannot be reasonable. Cannot be considerate.
These people will not change, atleast not any time soon. Gay couples will rationalize this away, but it will not change the fact that it will always be a hurtful situation for any child. Children cannot understand why they are being bullied and stared at. Adults may be able to happily live their lives with such stigma. Children end up scarred.

and who's responsible for that stigma?? is it the gay parents? hardly. it's society as a whole. maybe a little more effort should be put into getting rid of that stigma, than telling people they aren't good enough to be parents because they're kid will get teased.
when i was a young kid, not that many years ago, i'd say 95-98% of all the kids i knew came in contact with were bullied at one point or another, or even for most of their young lives, because they were poor, or they liked the wrong thing...so on and so forth. it's part of growing up. always has been. to deny a child a loving home because they might get teased by other children for their "weird parents" is rediculous. i didn't understand why i was being bullied for being poor, and having no dad around. hasn't stopped me from leading a healthy adult life with my wife. denying a child a loving home, because of all that is tantamount to child abuse itself. " you can't live with them because you'll get teased. they may love you and provide for everything you need, but childhood bullying is more important" sickening really.

link   
Interesting responses.

Since Gay Marriage is a State issue and since the President would never have to deal with it, why was he asked the question?

Every day another meaningless hit piece on one of the Candidates just for shock value. News reporting is not even reporting any more. It's just meaningless gossip for little old ladies and people with no lives of their own. Next they will make a Beauty Queen falling down a major story - ooop's already happened

Honestly, people who vote based on this stuff, never cease to amuse me. If this is how you pick candidates, please don't vote. You are part of the problem.

By the way, I noticed Obama had Reptilian eyes on an interview over the weekend. Suppose he ate any children lately?
I once thought that was just from camera lights, but being on ATS for a while I now know better. Don't let him near your kids. (turns off sarcasm button before people think he is serious)

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by optimus primal
indeed kids are cruel. and to a point that's natural, every kid has to deal with it. it's what makes us who we are as an adult, how we deal with that cruelty that is. i was made fun of for having a poor single mother, does that mean no one who is poor or single should have a child?

Wouldn't you have preferred having happy childhood memories rather than one's of being socially ostracized or bullied?

how about fat parents? should they be kept from having a child? what about parents with one arm? or parents who are deformed from an accident or war?
Having physically unattractive parents is quite different from having gay parents. Sure, you might get a little teasing, but nowhere near what you would with the latter situation.

what about parents who at the age of 40 or older still play video games?
If they're responsible and provide for their family, I see nothing wrong with it. Most kids would think they're cool anyway.

if we're going to base who can have children off of how they're children(adopted or otherwise) are going to be treated by the local bully kids, not many kids are going to be born or have homes.
Gay people should realize how cruelly these children will be treated from their own personal experiences. To willingly subject a child to this is selfish in my opinion.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by forsakenwayfarer

How are these kids any different?

Except that at least the poster raised by lesbians said they got over the ridicule, these fat kids will have to live with being fat the rest of their lives. And probably die early.

CHILD obesity has raised its chubby cheeks again with today's suggestion that fat kids should be treated as neglect cases.
OK, on the face of it sounds ideal.

Sights such as the one pictured on this page or six-year-old Dzhambulat Khatokhov, who stands 4ft 7in (1.4m) tall and weighs 15 stone (95kg) repulse us all so someone must be to blame.

Surely their parents should be punished for allowing them to get into this state? After all there is some of childhood being robbed if being unable to take part in games, no doubt being ridiculed and bullied at school and having a butt which is, well the butt, of all jokes is not something anyone would surely want for their little darling.

blogs.manchestereveningnews.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

as a matter of fact, no i wouldn't have preferred it to have been different, it made me the person i am today. made me a strong person. my mother's attitude towards life and perservering without having to rely on someone else really made a large impact on me and taught me what it is to be strong, what it means to go forward in the face of difficulties. that's what parents do, teach you to live in a world that isn't always going to accept you for who you are, and to be proud that you did your best even if other people ridicule you.

i would submit to you that denying a couple a child because of their looks is the same thing as denying a homosexual couple a child. they're both rediculous reasons. you can't stop childhood bullying, and you can't base who gets to have kids off of it either. the very idea is sickeningly ignorant.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join